Having Trouble Getting Friends New System Running =(

NebulaD

Limp Gawd
My friend just bought all new parts to build himself a new system. He got all the hardware in the mail and hooked it up. When I start up the computer, the computer will read the GPU. It beeps once, short, and goes to the screen with the mobo stats and such. It counts the RAM, and once it's finished counting the RAM, it resets, reads the GPU, beeps once, short, and then goes to count the RAM. This repeats over and over again.

He has Corsair XMS TWINX 2048MB PC4000 500MHz (2 x 1024)
DFI Lanparty 875P - T Socket 775
P4 3.2 ghz Socket 775

We tested both sticks individual same error. We can't even get into bios.

Help plz

I cant find anything in the manual about a single short beep im pretty sure thats just the processor posting though right?

Grounding Issue? Shitty PSU?

It's a memory problem...but it could be a problem of the motherboard....

try the ram on a different computer

i highly doubt its the cpu, unless it may not be getting cooled properly

he has the metal lifters in the case so the motherboard is not touching the chassis

we will try the ram in my computer on monday when he can make it to my place

as for the processor getting cooled properly he is using the stock heatsink and fan

brand new 520w OCZ Modstream

hmm could be a faulty cpu since it passes the memory check and it detects the graphics card. Sounds like when the computer is trying to access the cpu it can't, so it restarts

Make sure there are no extra standoffs under the MOBO.
Try unplugging all drives and see pf pt will boot.
If you have PS/2 mouse and keyboard, make sure they aren't swapped.
Is the 4-pin 12V PSU connector plugged in?
If the video card has a power connector, is it plugged in?
Try resetting the CMOS.

I will ask him to make sure their is no extra standoffs or any thing that can short out the motherboard.

He has tried just the bare essentials still nothing.

I'll ask him about the mouse and keyboard

the 4 pin he has made sure that is plugged in

he tried 2 different video cards one that requires a power connector and one that doesnt same deal

He has reset the cmos as well

If it were possible, I'd flash the board with the latest BIOS and try again. I'd also recommend trying a different video card to see what happens.

You did of course clear the CMOS once you got the CPU and memory installed, yes...??

When things like this happen to me, I always unplug / remove < everything > and try again. All you need for a BIOS splash screen and a boot is a MoBo, CPU, memory, video card, and a floppy. Start there......

Good luck - B.B.S.

he did try 2 different video cards a geforce 2 that does not require a power cable and a geforce 6800 that obviously does.

yes he cleared the cmos after installing the cpu and ram

I dont think he can flash the bios he cant even get the floppy drive to work either

do you think its possible that for some odd reason the dfi board just doesnt like the corsair 2gb ram he is trying to use?

I have read that dfi boards tend to be picky about certain ram on AMD systems I don't know if maybe the same goes for intel systems as well

Back