Having trouble choosing a board (5800x)

Danja

Limp Gawd
I have a 5800x hopefully on the way soon and I've spent the last few hours looking for a board, and can't quite make up my mind. I want to OC so I'd like to get a board that won't hold the chip back excessively (I can barely get my current 4790k stable with a 100 MHz OC and I'm not sure if it's the chip, board, or RAM - I'd prefer not to have to worry about the board). At the same time I don't need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the chip, I won't be running benchmarks for competitions or anything like that, so I don't necessarily need a high end feature set. I also have one M.2 drive (and might get another in a year or two), 6 HDDs, and a blu ray drive that I'd prefer not to lose if possible, so I'd prefer 7-8 SATA headers. However, if the board has >6 rear USB ports, I could remove my current PCI-E-> USB card in favor of a PCI-E -> SATA. I'd also like to keep below $250 if possible. I also noticed the X570 boards have a chipset fan - ideally I'd prefer one that has a quiet or silent mode. Finally, the board needs to be natively compatible with the new Ryzen because I don't have an old chip to flash the BIOS with.

For connectivity, the Phantom Gaming 4 seems to have what I'm looking for but I'm not sure how well it would OC (10 phase VRM). There's also the PG Velocita which has 14 phase VRM, but it's a bit pricier. Then there's the TUF Gaming and TUF Gaming Pro which also have 14 phase VRM, 8x SATA headers, and are closer to my desired price point compared to the ASrock options, but I believe they need to be flashed to support the new 5xxx CPUs (although if I understand corretly the Pro can be flashed while chip-less?).

If I remove my 8x SATA requirement, I can get something like the oft-recommended Tomahawk - does this board offer a significant overclocking advantage over the others that would justify the (relative) headache of having to get a PCIe->SATA adapter?

I can't seem to settle on any of the options - if anyone has recommendations (or reasons to remove any of these boards from contention), I'd appreciate the input!

Last edited:
I'd probably get the TUF Gaming Pro, especially since reviews on NE say that the bios flashback worked flawlessly. I tend to prefer Asus over MSI (obviously unlike Forsaken1). I've had less issues with Asus historically.

I mean if you want 8 SATA ports, there's no reason not to get a board with 8. All of those boards will be plenty for a mild OC.

Guess only - the TUF Pro should support the 5xxx series by default since they launched like less than a month before the 5000 series launched?

Heh that's funny - in the 2nd video he more or less directly equates the TUF Pro and the Tomahawk, which is where I'm stuck myself. The former has 8 SATA ports and the latter has slightly better VRM. I'm leaning toward the TUF Pro, but I've been reading review comments complaining about how the ASUS boards including the TUF series have the chipset fan directly under where my 1080ti will sit - I have decent airflow in my case, but should I be as worried as the reviewers are about the fan having to work harder and be louder than it would at the alternate placement in the Tomahawk, where it's shifted way from the primary PCIe slot and hence from the graphics card?

Heh that's funny - in the 2nd video he more or less directly equates the TUF Pro and the Tomahawk, which is where I'm stuck myself. The former has 8 SATA ports and the latter has slightly better VRM. I'm leaning toward the TUF Pro, but I've been reading review comments complaining about how the ASUS boards including the TUF series have the chipset fan directly under where my 1080ti will sit - I have decent airflow in my case, but should I be as worried as the reviewers are about the fan having to work harder and be louder than it would at the alternate placement in the Tomahawk, where it's shifted way from the primary PCIe slot and hence from the graphics card?

I had an Asus X570-Prime board since launch, and never had a problem with the chipset fan underneath the vid card. I can't imagine the TUF Pro is that much different.

I have the chipset fan on my X570 Taichi directly under where my 1080Ti is and in modern BIOS you can get the fan so quiet that you'll never hear it spinning. I also put a pretty heavy load on my X570 chipset, actually using all of my available lanes. Fan Noise from the chipset isn't a concern (and honestly, probably never was one.)

Back