Having trouble.booting up after bios reset

etegv

Limp Gawd
Hey, guys

I accidentally put in the wrong ram timings and now the pc won't boot up properly.

I took the ram sticks out, took the cmos battery out and left everything off for 15 minutes. That didn't help much. PSU fan spins for a few secs and then goes dead. I turned the psu switch off, took out the psu cable and waited for the clink. I then took a screw driver and touched both bios pins for 15 secs and hit the power button. All the fans came back on and started spinning before the pc died yet again.

Is there something I am not doing right? I feel like the fans spinning is a good sign, but not sure why the pc will not stay on. And the fans won't spin every time I hit the power button. Sometimes the psu fan will spin for a few secs, and sometimes I get nothing. Everything was working fine before I messed up

Auros b550 Elite motherboard
Ddr 4 2400 ram
Ryzen 3600

Thanks

Hey, guys

I accidentally put in the wrong ram timings and now the pc won't boot up properly.

I took the ram sticks out, took the cmos battery out and left everything off for 15 minutes. That didn't help much. PSU fan spins for a few secs and then goes dead. I turned the psu switch off, took out the psu cable and waited for the clink. I then took a screw driver and touched both bios pins for 15 secs and hit the power button. All the fans came back on and started spinning before the pc died yet again.

Is there something I am not doing right? I feel like the fans spinning is a good sign, but not sure why the pc will not stay on. And the fans won't spin every time I hit the power button. Sometimes the psu fan will spin for a few secs, and sometimes I get nothing. Everything was working fine before I messed up

Auros b550 Elite motherboard
Ddr 4 2400 ram
Ryzen 3600

Thanks
Typically wrong ram timings won't destroy anything and you just reset like you did with the battery pull. I'd do a min component boot (1 mem stick, CPU/GPU, only KB/mouse plugged in) and see if it responds. If not something is clearly not working properly, be it your PSU/mem/mobo.

AMD is a bit tricky with memory on am4. If you go too far out of spec, it wont be able to boot far enough to reset the settings or switch to the backup bios. If you can force it to switch (by switching bios manually or holding reset or power until it initiates a reset) you can usually recover.

That's been my experience on gigabyte boards, anyway.

Might be easier to recover if you remove extra sticks of RAM or change their location. I haven't tried, so no guarantees there.

OK, thank you guys. I will try to force the bios and try to do things one by one. One thing I realized is that I put the ram in before the cmos battery after taking everything out. Im going to remove the battery and ram and put the battery in before the ram

Ill report back and see if that makes a difference

OK, thank you guys. I will try to force the bios and try to do things one by one. One thing I realized is that I put the ram in before the cmos battery after taking everything out. Im going to take the battery and ram out and put the battery in before the ram

Ill report back and see if that makes a difference
the battery/ram thing doesnt matter, the board wont know which went in first. but i agree with the minimal suggestion, use a single stick to try and get it posting again.

Are you able to turn it back on and get fan spin again after it turns itself off?

Reactions: etegv
like this
Are you able to turn it back on and get fan spin again after it turns itself off?

No, nothing happens. I have to turn off the psu switch and take out the cable for a few secs. The psu fans will spin for a few secs after I turn on the switch the plug the cable back in

So this is where I am at right now. I removed the ram and battery and put the battery in before the ram. As stated earlier, it didn't do anything.

I turned off the psu and removed the psu cable. Then I waited for the clink before taking a screw driver and hit both bios pins for 15 secs before turning it back on. PC turned on with all fans spinning before shutting off after like 5 secs. Even the orange light that the mobo has shut itself off (I think it's some kind of indicator that everything is shut down. Lights turn off after the clink sound)

Is there is some kind of electricity/ground issue? I don't know what to call it, but I think it's similar to the display not showing anything and turning itself off issue. Not sure if I am messing something up when I turn off the psu switch/take out the cable before turning the switch back on, plugging in the cable and hitting the power button.

So, yeah that is where I am at right now. Haven't done anything after everything came back on for a bit. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
No, nothing happens. I have to turn off the psu switch and take out the cable for a few secs. The psu fans will spin for a few secs after I turn on the switch the plug the cable back in

So this is where I am at right now. I removed the ram and battery and put the battery in before the ram. As stated earlier, it didn't do anything.

I turned off the psu and removed the psu cable. Then I waited for the clink before taking a screw driver and touching both bios pins for 15 secs before turning it back on. PC turned on with all fans spinning before shutting off after like 5 secs. Even the orange light that the mobo has shut itself off (I think it's some kind of indicator that everything is shut down. Lights turn off after the clink sound)

Is there is some kind of electricity/ground issue? I don't know what to call it, but I think it's similar to the display not showing anything and turning itself off issue. Not sure if I am messing something up when I turn off the psu switch/take out the cable before turning the switch back on, plugging in the cable and hitting the power button.

So, yeah that is where I am at right now. Haven't done anything after everything came back on for a bit. Thanks for the help.
Some of the aorus gaming boards had issues where the board would act like it had died (no lights, no fans, nothing), but that doesn't sound like what you are experiencing here.

I have had some success doing this when I messed up my memory settings: Press the power button to turn the system on. After about a second, press the button again to turn it off (it should turn off almost immediately). Do this 3-5 times in a row, and that should trick it into thinking there is a boot issue and reset the settings or attempt to load the backup bios (if available). You could try doing the same with the reset button if it doesn't work with the power button, but I've had less success that way.

I turned off the psu and removed the psu cable. Then I waited for the clink before taking a screw driver and hit both bios pins for 15 secs before turning it back on. PC turned on with all fans spinning before shutting off after like 5 secs. Even the orange light that the mobo has shut itself off (I think it's some kind of indicator that everything is shut down. Lights turn off after the clink sound)

in that case, it sounds like the PSU is tripping, thus needing to be reset by cutting power to it entirely. Could be a result of a shorted out component on the board or even a dead CPU.

Oh, missed that it's dead dead. Check that you put the cmos battery back in correctly.

I had a board once that I was tweaking and had a similar situation. The solution I found was I had to remove the GPU then clear the CMOS then power off. Reinsert GPU and then boot. Unlikely to match your situation but if all else fails maybe give it a go.

Some of the aorus gaming boards had issues where the board would act like it had died (no lights, no fans, nothing), but that doesn't sound like what you are experiencing here.

I have had some success doing this when I messed up my memory settings: Press the power button to turn the system on. After about a second, press the button again to turn it off (it should turn off almost immediately). Do this 3-5 times in a row, and that should trick it into thinking there is a boot issue and reset the settings or attempt to load the backup bios (if available). You could try doing the same with the reset button if it doesn't work with the power button, but I've had less success that way.

Problem is pc won't turn on for 2nd time
in that case, it sounds like the PSU is tripping, thus needing to be reset by cutting power to it entirely. Could be a result of a shorted out component on the board or even a dead CPU.

How do I go about it? I want all power and electricity gone and start from scratch

I had a board once that I was tweaking and had a similar situation. The solution I found was I had to remove the GPU then clear the CMOS then power off. Reinsert GPU and then boot. Unlikely to match your situation but if all else fails maybe give it a go.
Tried and no go

Right now the psu switch is on and the psu cable plugged in. Touching both clr cmos pins for a sec gives me that clink sound. Psu fan will spin for a few seconds after hitting the power button and then comes to a stop. Hitting the button for a 2nd and 3rd time does nothing.

I can hit the clr cmos button again for a second and get the same clink sound. Psu fan will spin for a few seconds after I hit the power button.

Not sure if that info helps, lol.

Thank for all the help.

have you taken it apart yet, as in out of the case? tried another psu?

I have to do that now. I'm going to try that later. One thing I did do was try everything without the gpu for a 2nd time. The fans started to spin and I was able to turn the pc on and off with the power button. I got the same issue again when I put the gpu back in.

Two nights ago I was able to get the fans to spin for a bit and the gpu turned on fine (has a light on the side) before everything died down. It just seems like the pc has trouble getting power. I don't think it's a psu issue because there were no problems before I put the wrong numbers in for the timings

I'm going to dismantle everything tonight and see where things go

Check the gpu power cable -- make sure it's the correct cable, it's undamaged, and it's plugged in (assuming your gpu needs one).

If it doesn't need external power, try another PCIe slot, also check that your CPU 12V connector is the correct one, and plugged in.

Check the gpu power cable -- make sure it's the correct cable, it's undamaged, and it's plugged in (assuming your gpu needs one).

If it doesn't need external power, try another PCIe slot, also check that your CPU 12V connector is the correct one, and plugged in.

Yea, I'm going to try the 2nd pci slot and see how things go. GPU is a 5700 and has both 8pin cables undamaged (same cables were used before the mistake and they powered the gpu when I was able to get the fans to spin) I checked the cpu 12 v and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong there. I'd like to try the 2nd gpu slot and see if that helps. Prob have to dismantle everything if that doesn't work.

Thanks

Yea, I'm going to try the 2nd pci slot and see how things go. GPU is a 5700 and has both 8pin cables undamaged (same cables were used before the mistake and they powered the gpu when I was able to get the fans to spin) I checked the cpu 12 v and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong there. I'd like to try the 2nd gpu slot and see if that helps. Prob have to dismantle everything if that doesn't work.

Thanks
You can try powering the system without a gpu or ram installed. Obviously it won't post or boot, but it might give some insight to see if the power supply is still tripping.

I've had issues with RAM timings/voltages resetting after updating bios that caused neverending bootloops. Which would have been a PITA to diagnose if I wasn't expecting it. I took out all the ram except for one stick (I normally have 4), got it to boot far enough to get into BIOS, tuned the ram back to its previous good timings, and then inserted all the rest of the sticks and its been fine ever since.

I also had a weird issue not too long ago where my computer was doing similar to yours, and removing a high power draw item (RGB keyboard) from a particular USB port allowed it to boot up all the way. I still have no idea what the hell that was about.

Last edited:
I've had issues with RAM timings/voltages resetting after updating bios that caused neverending bootloops. Which would have been a PITA to diagnose if I wasn't expecting it. I took out all the ram except for one stick (I normally have 4), got it to boot far enough to get into BIOS, tuned the ram back to its previous good timings, and then inserted all the rest of the sticks and its been fine ever since.

I also had a weird issue not too long ago where my computer was doing similar to yours, and removing a high power draw item (RGB keyboard) from a particular USB port allowed it to boot up all the way. I still have no idea what the hell that was about.

You can try powering the system without a gpu or ram installed. Obviously it won't post or boot, but it might give some insight to see if the power supply is still tripping.

turns out it was an outlet issue. Everything was working fine after I moved it to the 2nd slot, but then I started getting issues again. I tried a different outlet.
Currently typing with the PC right now.

Glad everything worked out and thanks for the help.

Back