Having some trouble with Vista, would like some advice..

Glaucus

n00b
I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping that I'm placing this thread in the right 'area', as it were.

Either way, I'm running Vista-64 and I occasionally run into a BSOD whenever I'm running certain applications, like games (Left 4 Dead, Second Life).

I have some logs from the EventLog that are as follows...

---Start of log---

Fault bucket X64_CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_4_PROC, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini013009-01.dmp
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47923-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDD34.tmp.version.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report050129dd

---End of log---

I'm not computer illiterate, but things like this go beyond what I know of personal computers. Is there any other information that would be needed for assistance?

Thanks for your time.

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini013009-01.dmp
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47923-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDD34.tmp.version.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report050129dd

Look at these files or post them here. And yes, system specs.

Specs are as follows...

---Specs---

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Quad-Core
ASUS M3N-HD/HDMI
4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit
SIGMA SHARK SP-635 635W ATX12V V2.01
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Windows Vista 64

---End Specs---

I was only able to find the files that were listed here...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report050 129dd

In that folder was a Report.zip file and something called Report.wer

The Report.zip file contained a Version.txt, sysdata.xml and Mini013009-01.dmp

How would I post those files? The xml file is quite long and I can't open the dmp file.

You would need to host those files somewhere and provide a link. I don't recognize that brand PSU, so that could be the culprit. However, if it crashing under load, it could also be heat, or bad video card/driver problem. You should also consider running Memtest for a while to check out your memory.

My advice, follow the arrows:
Vista -------------------------------------> Trash Bin
YOU -------------------------------------> Install XP

My advice, follow the arrows:
Vista -------------------------------------> Trash Bin
YOU -------------------------------------> Install XP

Really? really?

You won't last long here with that attitude.

Ok i was able to open the .dmp file with Windows Debugger tool and from what I can decipher, there is an issue with your video driver, nvlddmkm.sys. Quickly googling that, it seems to be a common issue. Are you patched up to SP1? Are you overclocked?

check this thread for more

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1308961&highlight=nvlddmkm

You definitely have to do some digging to find the root cause, as this error seems to be caused from a variety of possible sources. People in that thread talk about swapping ram, changing psu's, cooling solutions, dying video cards, nearly everything..sorry!

ninja edit: the debugger kept warning me about symbol paths, so I was able to load them with some help from the windows site. Anyways, I re-ran the debugger tool and this time it told me "analysis inconclusive" and the error was caused by an "unknown image". hopefully others can help where I left off...

good luck

Have you updated all your video card drivers?
Chipset Drivers? Storage Controller Drivers? Those may be the problem.

riot8ap: Yes, I have SP1 as updated as can be, and I'm not overclocked. Thanks for looking up that thread though! Made this problem of mine a tad bit more ominous than I thought it could be. x)

zaxour: I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't have the latest nVidia drivers, but I have installed the 181.22 drivers just before posting this reply. Chipset is up-to-date, but as for the storage controller drivers... I was having a hard time finding them.

criccio: Thanks for addressing that problem for me. xD

In all I'm hoping that 181 helps a bit, I'll be playing around with games and what not and I'll see if I get another BSOD.

riot8ap: Yes, I have SP1 as updated as can be, and I'm not overclocked. Thanks for looking up that thread though! Made this problem of mine a tad bit more ominous than I thought it could be. x)

zaxour: I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't have the latest nVidia drivers, but I have installed the 181.22 drivers just before posting this reply. Chipset is up-to-date, but as for the storage controller drivers... I was having a hard time finding them.

criccio: Thanks for addressing that problem for me. xD

In all I'm hoping that 181 helps a bit, I'll be playing around with games and what not and I'll see if I get another BSOD.

Make sure you use a program such as driver cleaner to get rid of the old nvidia drivers first, typical normal removal through windows has a nasty habit of leaving old files laying around.

Back