having serious issues deciding, wait for MBP or get a MB

Agent Orange 615

[H]ard|Gawd
Quickly what i want to do.

Light FCP editing, but still pretty good stuff. Im a full time avid editor, i want to brush up my FCP skills. I like to use aperture, photoshop, etc etc. Like design a lot. Games.. eh i got my 360. Like to write, surf the web etc.

The MBPS are simply amazing machines, and i wont deny that, but spending close to 2000$ for a comptuer is a bit of a stretch for me, Id like to spend more around the price of a MB. Sooo it looks like im leaning towards a MB, but ive been told that the intel gma is going to make things hard when it comes to graphics and video editing. However people I work with, (professionals in editing) are telling me that the gma will be fine, and anything else is overkill anyhow.

Anyway, advice???

thanks guys

video editing is highly dependent on cpu power, not gpu. the integrated graphics will be fine for editing.

i've done a fair bit of editing with FCP. some on a powerbook. i was trying to decide between the macbook and the MBP a few months ago, i went with the macbook.

the reason is this. i was gonna be traveling, a lot. throwing the lappy in the bag and taking off. the MB just seemed sturdier and is smaller. i thought it would take a beating better in the bag than a MBP.

if you plan on traveling with it, you might consider that. if you travel "lightly" (not much) and the pro will spend more of its time on the desk, you might go that route.

obviously the MBP will be more capable, more RAM, more processor, more GPU. other than that they are the same. i have not tried to use FCP on my macbook, but i have gotten it pretty worked up with garage band, imovie, and iphoto. i imagine that FCP on a macbook will cause the fan to run like crazy. but really, i dont have to worry about that. that is what my dual 2.0 g5 is for. :D

i really wanted the pro, but another issue was money (as you know). it is a good chunk of change, which i could have squeezed out, but didn't think i should.

so far, i am pleased with my decision. i love my macbook. but, there are a few times i wish i had that extra ram and gpu.

Are you using an external monitor or the laptop screen?

If you are using the laptop screen - I would hate to think of the difficulties in working with a resolution of 1280x800. Also, Aperture is GPU dependent AFAIK. I use lightroom, but in reading up on it I recall noting this.

FInally, the current generation of Mac Book Pro's can handle 4 GB or RAM, which will cost you an extra 200$ if you go aftermarket. The MB can do only 2 GB or 3 GB. If you don't need that much RAM, you still might be happier with the RAM on the MBP, because it comes with a standard of 2GB now. The MB comes with 1 GB, which is paltry when it comes to FCP and the like.

I vote for the MBP - if you are looking for a long term laptop.

Are you using an external monitor or the laptop screen?

If you are using the laptop screen - I would hate to think of the difficulties in working with a resolution of 1280x800. Also, Aperture is GPU dependent AFAIK. I use lightroom, but in reading up on it I recall noting this.

FInally, the current generation of Mac Book Pro's can handle 4 GB or RAM, which will cost you an extra 200$ if you go aftermarket. The MB can do only 2 GB or 3 GB. If you don't need that much RAM, you still might be happier with the RAM on the MBP, because it comes with a standard of 2GB now. The MB comes with 1 GB, which is paltry when it comes to FCP and the like.

I vote for the MBP - if you are looking for a long term laptop.

Since the new MBP's come wtih 2 GB standard, going to 4 GB will most likely cost between $80-$120. Not another $200.

Since the new MBP's come wtih 2 GB standard, going to 4 GB will most likely cost between $80-$120. Not another $200.

in what world? going from 2x1gb sticks to 2x2gb sticks will not be anywhere near under 200$

in what world? going from 2x1gb sticks to 2x2gb sticks will not be anywhere near under 200$

I've seen it for 100$ at buy.com and less at fry.com. Newegg had some for a little over 100$ a stick (see link below). It sells out moderately fast, so you need to buy when you see it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208323&CMP=AFC-Bensbargains

However, the price of 2GB PC5300 SODIMM sticks has really come down as of late, to a point where its not out of the question to get 4GB of good memory (G.Skill, Crucial) for 200$ or less.

Also, you can sell your 1GB X 2 sticks for...30$ to 50$ on Ebay, thus making it even cheaper...assuming you want to part with the Apple certified memory.

I just got my MBP the other day. The 4GB (2x2) that I ordered showed up at the same time. It was only $178 for the 4GB. I tested them and it worked fine. Then I promptly disassembled the entire laptop :D......but thats another story.

Anyway, I was going to sell my 2x1GB sticks......when you said $30-50 did you mean for both or each?

I just got my MBP the other day. The 4GB (2x2) that I ordered showed up at the same time. It was only $178 for the 4GB. I tested them and it worked fine. Then I promptly disassembled the entire laptop :D......but thats another story.

Anyway, I was going to sell my 2x1GB sticks......when you said $30-50 did you mean for both or each?

For both; given used products command 50 - 75% of the value, then I think 50 to 30 is fair for both.

I've seen 'good' 5300 SO-DIMMS for 20$ new in the package/delivered recently. In the past month, the prices have really come down on these sized sticks (PC-5300 DDR SO-DIMM)

Back