Having problems with audio on my thinkpad t21

eabandit

Weaksauce
OK, The sound just doesnt work. After reformatting and installing Windows XP (I tried both Pro and Home), no windows audio comes out from the speakers. However, I KNOW the speakers work because the system sounds work (such as it beeps when using the buttons on the laptop to raise and lower the volume) and I am 90% sure that the windows audio worked when windows 2000 was on the computer.

I checked IBM's site and it lists windows xp as compatible with my thinkpad t21.

Additionally, the sound drivers are all installed (pre-installed with windows xp) and according to windows, everything seems to be working fine - there is no caution symbol or anything next to any of the devices in device manager. I can play audio files, but no sound comes out of the speakers. Also, headphones do nothing, but like I said, I'm pretty sure this is a software problem because i"ve heard audio from those speakers before.

when i first booted in to winxp (Both times) after formatting and installing, the speaker icon in the bottom right was preset to MUTE. is that a clue, does that give anyone any ideas? unmuting it has no effect and i've never seen windows preset the speaker to mute after an install before.

any ideas? thanks in advance :)

Also, my USB port does not seem to be working as well. any ideas with that? :LOL:

I have a t22 and a t30 and winxp by default installs drivers but not always for the correct chipset

I run linux and windows in a dual boot but try installing the chipset drivers that will probably help and make sure that you don't have it on mute in the audio prop. wierder things have happened

Originally posted by The[H]uman
I have a t22 and a t30 and winxp by default installs drivers but not always for the correct chipset

I run linux and windows in a dual boot but try installing the chipset drivers that will probably help and make sure that you don't have it on mute in the audio prop. wierder things have happened
sorry, i don't exactly understand what you mean by the correct chipset drivers... i did as much checking as possible and im relatively sure that the right drivers are installed... however, the sound card manufacturer is "crystal" and the card is "soundfusion" and they have a really crappy web site. also, my sound card lists no VERSION of the soundfusion, so i really don't know what's going on.

additionally, after reinstalling the drivers that winxp auto detects for the card, the DEFAULT volume is MUTED. is there any clue in that information? i've never seen windows set the default volume to mute before. even after unmuting it, no sound comes out.

Back