Having major problems with Mass Effect 1

Gabriel

2[H]4U
As soon as I launch the game, I get video and sound lag. I lowered graphic settings, and I went to sound and disabled hardware acceleration, and now it sounds like my sound card has been disabled altogether, but it still shows up as enabled on device manager. I have bad sound not just in the game anymore, and the game still lags like crazy.

Mass Effect 1 runs like crap anyway, but you shouldnt have to disable hardware sound. Lower the texture settings, disable shadows, disable film grain, disable motion blur. That right there is the big stuff.

make sure you patch it. there were all kinds of sound related problems through multiple patches.

Mass Effect 1 runs like crap anyway, but you shouldnt have to disable hardware sound. Lower the texture settings, disable shadows, disable film grain, disable motion blur. That right there is the big stuff.

How does it run like crap? It's runs 60fps at 1600x1200 everything high/on for me.

It ran shitty in the Citadel on my old Athlon 64 X2 though.

You sure about that? I played through it again this week in preparation for ME2. Was getting around 30fps outside on the first level, according to Fraps, system in sig. That was after unlocking the smoothfraterate setting in the ini file, which otherwise locks the frames to 30.

After looking into it, it just had issues. Uses the UE3 engine which does texture streaming (for consoles, but no way to turn it off for PCs).

Yup. I replayed it as well. Ran like a dream.

Edit - your config file must be messed up? My frame in ME1 was limited to 62 just like every other UE3 game.

Last edited:
look at his setup
A64 3800 with a 9600gt... 2 gigs of ram

thats... slightly outdated, and when i say slightly i mean alot, like over 5-6. graphics is enough but the cpu might be a tad underpowered. your card should be fine, which is why when you lowered the settings it still runs like crap.

You sure about that? I played through it again this week in preparation for ME2. Was getting around 30fps outside on the first level, according to Fraps, system in sig. That was after unlocking the smoothfraterate setting in the ini file, which otherwise locks the frames to 30.

After looking into it, it just had issues. Uses the UE3 engine which does texture streaming (for consoles, but no way to turn it off for PCs).
ME1 by default is capped to 62 fps, there's a setting to change that value.
Also you can disable texture streaming as well by editing the configs.

This game ran a clean 60fps years ago when I played it with my 8800GTX. It runs virtually the same even with a newer card. This is without forcing AA, of course. Enabling AA in ME1 or ME2 is frame rate suicide, the game wasn't designed to handle it.
I'm not saying the OP will get 60fps, but you definitely should.

Well, the requirememts are a 2.4 P4. I just finished Dead Space which is just as demanding and it never stuttered, and I play other modern games without problems, but this one stutters from the time it displays the developer and publisher logos. I also bought it on steam, so it should be patched already.

I've had odd problems with there gbeing grapical glitches popping up at the start screen. SMall squares randomly going black and flickering before coming back.

Haha...weeeeelll...after looking at the settings I was forcing in nvidia control panel....

nevermind. Last time I played it was last spring, funny how the settings stay just like you set them. *cough*

(epic fail on my part)

Last edited:
i ran Mass effect 1 on a AMD X2 at 2800MHZ with 4GB RaM and a 9600GT at 1920 x 1200 without issues.

his single core processor may be the issue but its not the videocard.

I fired up Mass Effect 1 in anticipation of ME2 and came across issues running under Vista 64. Random general protection faults and application crashes but these were solved by running the EXE as administrator and using a no-cd patch. Apparently the DRM doesnt play nice with more recent OS's.

Back