Having issues with my video card ATI HD6850

shanepez

Limp Gawd
This is kind of a repost of my previous thread located Here

It seems I am continuing to have problems. I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB, and tried multiple other 4GB sticks, seems that RAM is not the problem. I upgraded my power supply to something much beefier and more expensive, that didn't help either.

What will happen is randomly the driver will stop responding. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes I have to hit the reset button. It seems to happen mostly when I start to type something on Chrome and the suggested answers pops up. This will cause the problem to happen. Also happens when I try starting up Battlefield 2: Bad Company. If I successfully get into the game it doesn't happen anymore. I can play for hours and hours without any issues, it's only when it starts up.

It almost seems to be like a "warming up" problem. First time I start the computer, it will have issues. After using it for a while, the problems stop. Because of this, I don't really turn my computer off anymore. But I am doing a lot of electrical work around the house recently, so I've had to shut it off.

I've tried re-installing drivers, and even the OS. I used driver sweeper every time, as recommended in the previous thread. I've updated the bios, no luck.

Anyone have similar problems? Sounds like it could be a legitimate hardware problem =(. This means I may have to return motherboard/video card. I hate going without a computer for more than a few days.

Here's my setup:
MB: Biostar A770E3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840
Video: XFX HD685XZNFC Radeon HD 6850
Memory: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB)

I had a crappy time with ATI drivers 11-2 and 11-3. 11-5, however, stopped the drivers from failing. Weirdly enough, I never had the drivers fail while playing a game, mostly when watching video. Have you tried the 11-5 drivers?

Yeah, I have the 11-5 drivers. And I must admit that they made the problem a lot better, but it still happens quite often. Just not so much that it makes me want to hulk smash my video card.

Never had that problem with my initial 6850, nor with the one I added for Crossfire. One is a gigabyte, one is an XFX. I did have that problem at one point in time with my 4870 that I had previously, and that issue turned out to be the PCI-e slot it was in. I had a crossfire board, so I had 2 full x16 slots and if I swapped the card to the second slot, the problem went away completely. looks like you don't have a second slot on that board, but it might be worth trying your card in another machine and see what happens (if you can) because that could be a mobo problem.

Thanks, I will try it in another computer to see if I have similar problems. Mobos are such a pain to replace.

I had similar issues when using 2 screens hooked up to my now gone 4870, the driver would randomly crash. Put my spare 3870 in alongside it crashes stopped. Are you running dual monitors from the 6850?

Back