Having issues pinging past cisco switch

techtips

Gawd
Hey everybody, I've spent the past weekend at the lab working on a bunch of ASA labs and the one I am currently working on involves a switch between the ASA and the two hosts that are on seperate VLAN's.

asa_zps9e3ddf16.png

Now I've setup a default static route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 but I wasn't able to get out past the switch. I've setup IP routing to make sure the Switch functions as a Layer 3 routing switch
I've setup IP HTTP SERVER on both the DMZ web_server and the outside router(not pictured) so I should be at least able to get to the web page.

I realize the ASA won't respond to pings at 192.168.1.1 but having my global pools setup I should be able to pull the web page from the web server @ the DMZ.
Does my configuration look correct? I've been pulling my hair for the past hour and a half over this lol

show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1937 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Switch
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
system mtu routing 1500
ip subnet-zero
ip routing
!
!
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
no switchport
ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface Vlan2
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan3
ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
ip http server
ip http secure-server
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
password class
logging synchronous
login
line vty 0 4
password class
login
line vty 5 15
password class
login
!
end

Switch#
Switch#

does your ASA have a route back to your vlans 2 and 3? doesnt look like your using a routing protocol and not sure if you have a static route on your asa.

Layer 3 is a two lane highway. You are not allowed to route one direction as the design of TCP/IP absolutely requires two way traffic to control the flow of data.

The asa will not respond to pings unless you allow it to. This can be shown later after you get routing out of the way.

Your switch needs a route to the ASA.... the ASA needs a route back to the switch ... the ASA needs a route outside. Then you must also have an ACL on the ASA allowing your traffic from your switch and vlans into the ASA and you need an ACL allowing the traffic from the ASA/VLANS through the switch.

Once you figure out all that then you will be able to get out to the big ole nasty XXX sites on the web.

Back