Having Everquest 1 withdrawls

Tygerwoody

Gawd
Anyone who played the game knows what I'm talking about. Its been a good 4 to 5 years since i played it and for some reason i am feeling this itch... to play it. By now the game is so complex and stupid its pointless to play. Everquest 2 was boring. WOW was boring. Guildwars is cool, but its really not an MMORPG. Lineage 2 was decent but never had populated servers.

I dont want anyone to refer me to some lame MMORPG. I do however want to play Everquest 1 again. I know there are emulators out there because i have used them, but they are terribly buggy. I want to play an OLD school everquest. Like no further than Kunark expansion or hell, even without it. I just want the 3 main islands and none of that planes mess.

Anyone have any suggestions? In real life I'm a normal guy who barely plays a few hours a week on game, but i swear I have some of my best life memories from Everquest 1. It crosses my mind at least once a month. As i stated earlier i have tried other games but none had that same feel Everquest had. To those who never played it in its early years cannot even comprehend how fun it was. 2 years after it was released it slowly went downhill. One of my best was getting a full suit of Rubicite armor. Does anyone even know what that is anymore? If you don't then you aren't at liberty to post because you played after the first 2 years, which is when it started to suck. Also, does still have the "Everquest 1 itch" every now and then?

comments please :cool:

I played it a little bit and definitely know what you feel. I think it would be impossible to capture that "new and exciing" feel that it had when it was first released. I remember playing Quakeworld on full servers and slowly but surely Evercrack pulled people away one by one. The first 8 months I played DAoC after its initial release provide me with more fond memories than EQ1.

EQ2 did get boring :rolleyes:

Kevl4R said:
I played it a little bit and definitely know what you feel. I think it would be impossible to capture that "new and exciing" feel that it had when it was first released. I remember playing Quakeworld on full servers and slowly but surely Evercrack pulled people away one by one. The first 8 months I played DAoC after its initial release provide me with more fond memories than EQ1.

EQ2 did get boring :rolleyes:
Yea same here... i played DAoC. And actually id say it is probably my second favorite MMORPG I have ever played. I quit to play Everquest 1 again :cool:

If I started an Emulator server of Everquest 1. Would anyone care to play? I could show you how to set it up.

1 game:

Vangaurd: Saga of Heros.

From Sigil games, formaly Verant Interactive. Brad and Jeff went and started this company after SoE bought them out. Brad didn't want to over look many games, he wanted to work 1 one and develop it and master. So he bowed out and left and made a deal with microsoft <for publishing the game, I hope at least.> Anyhoo, its nearing a beta test soon, been in the works snice 2002, hit alpha in Dec 2004. They have basically re-hired their entire EQ team and then have stolen a few from SoE, and a few other game companies along with hiring talent that was doing art for VI back in the day. This game looks very promising, granted its not gonna have your first MMO feel, but its going to bring back a lot of that EQ feeling.

All I wanna see is another east commons, now that was a true market, not this bazaar crap =(

Yes, I remember playing Everquest 1 and getting so addicted I threw the cds into the trash after a particularly good 16 hour session. Of course I went to the store and bought it again before I finally quit for good.

I must say I am playing Everquest 2 now but being married keeps me from the excessive play I used to have in EQ1. While there are quite a few things I thought were better in EQ1 than the sequel they are similar enough to where I enjoy them about the same.

One thing I truly miss though are the boats. While there are sessioned boat rides in EQ2 I miss waiting for the boats and taking them to other lands. It made traveling a big deal.

Prim3 said:
1 game:

From Sigil games, formaly Verant Interactive. Brad and Jeff went and started this company after SoE bought them out. Brad didn't want to over look many games, he wanted to work 1 one and develop it and master. So he bowed out and left and made a deal with microsoft <for publishing the game, I hope at least.> Anyhoo, its nearing a beta test soon, been in the works snice 2002, hit alpha in Dec 2004. They have basically re-hired their entire EQ team and then have stolen a few from SoE, and a few other game companies along with hiring talent that was doing art for VI back in the day. This game looks very promising, granted its not gonna have your first MMO feel, but its going to bring back a lot of that EQ feeling.

All I wanna see is another east commons, now that was a true market, not this bazaar crap =(

OMG yes. East commons. I was THE richest person on the Rathe server. To anyone that was on that server my name was Sarlaiel. I had two buddies named Slap and Razie who were also good buyer/sellers. We owned that place

I seriously hated that bazaar crap.

Boomermage said:
Yes, I remember playing Everquest 1 and getting so addicted I threw the cds into the trash after a particularly good 16 hour session. Of course I went to the store and bought it again before I finally quit for good.

I must say I am playing Everquest 2 now but being married keeps me from the excessive play I used to have in EQ1. While there are quite a few things I thought were better in EQ1 than the sequel they are similar enough to where I enjoy them about the same.

One thing I truly miss though are the boats. While there are sessioned boat rides in EQ2 I miss waiting for the boats and taking them to other lands. It made traveling a big deal.
Exactly, the thing about everquest that made it so good was the stuff you HATED in it. Everquest was NOT easy. Not by a long shot. Now every MMORPG is babyfied.

Boat rides are a good example. Or how about waiting HOURS for a group? Or paying tons of money to get teleported because they're werent many players out there high enough that could? Or camping a single spawn for litterally MONTHS for a single levitation cape? Remember that? Remember Hundreds and Hundreds of people dieing from a "single swoop of the dragons claw"? Remember when dieing was BAD? Spend 8 hours of leveling to die and lose more experience then you gained in that 8 hours? Remember the first time you saw an Ogre? or a gnome? Remember your first rusty LONG sword that had such awesome stats? Or better yet remember that great Shiney Silver Double Axe? Mithril Greatsword? Executioners axe? Jboots? Mithril legs? RUBI BP? FBSS!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I didn't know how much i really missed it til now? And guys keep in mind I haven't played this game in almost 5 years!!!!

Prim3 said:
1 game:

Like all MMOs I have playe after EQ1, this game sounds good on paper. Every MMOI've hyped myself for has only set me up for extreme disappointment. Yes, It's my fault but I'm not looking forward to any new MMOs until it's on the shelves.

IOh well, I miss old school EQ too but it's mostly because it was my first experience with a massive online environment. A lot of us play these new games to try to get that feeling back of when we first played EQ but it just doesn't happen. I don't think it'll ever happen again for me.

(Anyone else remember Yaks?) :cool:

Aw man now I miss this game too, I played ont he bristlebane server from day 3 or something lol and played for a good 4 years before I was able to quit. My first character was a dwarf paladin named Stonejaw haha. And serioulsy the thing that made EQ so good was the atmosphere it had, it had that way of making you feel like you were part of the civilization. EQ2 doesnt have that as much because of the condensing of citys into freeport and qeynos. I liked starting in Kaladim the city of dwarves and having many dwarves around me in the beginning and then having to travel to see the other citys and races. The game was just so good and the community was great. Now there are way to many MMORPGs that suck and have taken many of the great people away from EQ which is sad. I would have to agree with you that also some of my best memories are from EQ and Im just a regular guy too im only 21 :) Should look at these, almost made me cry hehe even tough I was in niether of these guilds
http://www.divinelegend.com/DL.swf
http://home.att.ne.jp/surf/mirage/memory_album.html

Both very well done, I like the memory album a bit better but damn Im sad now. I wish I never whored off my poor Stonejaw on Ebay :( After that I started a Magician one the coolest classes ever. I really want to start playing again... mabey I will, but none of my old friends are online anymore they all moved on.

I wonder if we will ever again see a game of the quality and caliber of EverQuest.

Goodbye my friends

sow plz thx

I cold turkey'd it after 250ish days of playing time. Never looked back. Its been about 1 1/2 years now. Fight the urge.

lewt=evil

Oh and I will agree with the idea of it being a MONUMENTAL bitch to get to high levels or the endgame. Really helps to weed out the morons. Being an iksar shammy, before POP came out it took me roughly 1 month of close to everyday juggling raids or grouping/looking for a group to get through level 59.

Then PoP came out and it began its downward slide. Harm dude pleveling a cleric bot to 65 in something retarded like 5 minutes.

A friend of mine still plays it, and is probably one of the most uber clerics left across all the servers. She can't stop playing. She has like 10000 hp. Yeah. She says the top tanks are around 22-23k hp currently.........well alrighty then.

phobic said:
IOh well, I miss old school EQ too but it's mostly because it was my first experience with a massive online environment. A lot of us play these new games to try to get that feeling back of when we first played EQ but it just doesn't happen. I don't think it'll ever happen again for me.
I think what seperated everquest from every thing else is that.
1) No bullshit quick buy / sell stuff.
When you wanted to buy some one you had to find some one who was selling it and then buy it off of him, do this enough and you learn how to get people to lower there prices. I remeber the countless hours I spent buying, selling or trading items in North freeport (my servers MAIN Trade area).

2) The differnt zones grew on you.
West Commons, I remeber the countless times that F***ing giant / griffon would jump me and kill me while afk sitting down! These higher level mobs always taunted you, I know this propelled me at the hellish grind. (I remeber the first day I got revenge on the spectres in oasis).

3) When you leveled, it ment something.
I remeber with each level I was sooo happy, the previous level grind was over! Leveling was some thing to be proud of. DING! Unlike current MMOs, such as WoW when I went from 40 to 41 I did not feel the same thing when I went from 40-41 in everquest (I still remeber Overthere leveling :p Goons coming)

4) Revisiting old leveling grounds
When you were low level you saw a level 40-50 run through your leveling area and you were taken away with such awe you could not resist to send them a pm asking them a question you have about the future of the game (this was me atleast). When I hit 40+ and visited the old areas I had been I remeber seeing atleast 5 PMs from West commons to North Freeport.

5) GM events
I will end with this, I could go on forever. The random events that suddenly ended when the "LEGENDS" server rolled onto the server list. Random logging on, realizing it was halloween, and old to find 100-200 polygon werewofls running through west commons. Even at random times when a head GM would send out a message talking about an upcomming low level Even!

Everquest PRE-Luclin was my favorite MMO

I have SWG withdrawls. It was the first MMORPG I ever got into, I actually met people who played during the same random and ackward hours I played, had fun exploring, creating guilds, playing with the same people every day, drama, ect. 5 months in and I was out though. The game wasn't enough for me. I've tried 3 mmo's since and all have had better game mechanics but I've never been able to meet people like I met in SWG so I got bored of them.

lol I can not believe you said Linage 2 had any redeeming features. I suppose it's just like EQ with the shitty grind though.

I read a game dev article about MMORPGs and it said one of the challenges of getting and keeping players for a new game is that nothing can possibly match the first MMORPG people fell in love with. So a lot of people try new games for a few months to try to recapture the old feeling, but it's never the same as your first time.

EnB was the first MMO that hooked me and I regularly get the itch to go back and play. Unfortunately, it was shut down, but I'm hoping to eventually play an emulated server or re-coded version of the game.

Dark_Seph said:
I think what seperated everquest from every thing else is that.
1) No bullshit quick buy / sell stuff.
2) The differnt zones grew on you.
3) When you leveled, it ment something.
4) Revisiting old leveling grounds
5) GM events

Everquest PRE-Luclin was my favorite MMO

You hit the nail on the head with so much of that stuff. Nothing was given to you in EQ, you literally had to earn it. I remember when you got to that certain level and finally getting to *buy* new spells. In WoW you still buy spells but it seems like it lacks feeling. Remember new spell effects? It was really something simple but it made you look so much more powerful. There's also nothing like going to a zone after you got to a higher level and "saving" the lowbies from griffs and giants. Man, I could go on about this forever.

And I agree with you about Pre-Luclin EQ. I'd have to say RoKunark was one of the largest expansions ever. I've never met so many people that took off work to play a game.

Paying for teleports... lagging East Commonlands... killing guards for XP... waiting until daylight so you can cross Kithicor... blah blah blah...

"I have no right to post" er....ok.. I payed my genmay subscrip I think I have every right to post here...

s for classic MMO I feel exactly like you do... about Asheron's Call 1. I finally broke down and am in it now after being gone for a year... I had about 5 years in it when I quit. the 2nd expansion is about to come out and im actually excited about it. But it will never be the same as it was way back when it came out. That rubicon armor sounds like the green mire curiass... lol those were the days. I think ill go do the green mire quest now just for old times sake!

phobic said:
waiting until daylight so you can cross Kithicor... blah blah blah...

That was what I loved about EQ. Even with all its flaws there were so many subtle elements that just made the game rock. And you didn't have to wait for daylight...just be fast, don't stop, and stay along the zone line.

I think my favorite thing about EQ is when somebody pulled a mega dragon chain to zone.

-tReP

LadyJaqie said:
"I have no right to post" er....ok.. I payed my genmay subscrip I think I have every right to post here...

s for classic MMO I feel exactly like you do... about Asheron's Call 1. I finally broke down and am in it now after being gone for a year... I had about 5 years in it when I quit. the 2nd expansion is about to come out and im actually excited about it. But it will never be the same as it was way back when it came out. That rubicon armor sounds like the green mire curiass... lol those were the days. I think ill go do the green mire quest now just for old times sake!
I just made that comment to keep the people saying "i played everquest a year ago and it sucked!!!" out. The people who came late in the game did play a sucky everquest. Anyway

Rubcite armor stop dropping early in the game. You physically cannot get it. When it was out, it was basically the "best" thing in the game(at least in our heads). People who don't know what Rubi is, came too late into the game.

Trepidati0n said:
That was what I loved about EQ. Even with all its flaws there were so many subtle elements that just made the game rock. And you didn't have to wait for daylight...just be fast, don't stop, and stay along the zone line.

I think my favorite thing about EQ is when somebody pulled a mega dragon chain to zone.

-tReP
one word.... Runnyeye..... thats all i need to say.... Who's with me?

Oh man, the good ole days of EQ. I'm another on that bandwagon, I still get urges to go back and play, even now, however the expansion packs have gotten rediculous. I played EQ2 for about 2 months, but just didn't quite have the same feeling as EQ. EQ was one of my favorite MMOs of all time, however I joined it kind of late, and I was only in the high 40s when velious came out, so I couldn't venture very far into velious. However, I picked up DAOC a year or so later, and started from the get go like everyone else. There's nothing like racing through the first month with everyone else, exploring new places and being some of the first people to engage in PvP. I love MMOs, especially when you start from scratch at the sametime as everyone else and make a rush for it to explore.

I miss old school EQ. I started when Kunark JUST came out and quit a few days before Planes of Power came out.

Level 59 WIzard, Lanys Tvely Server (spelt wrong :p)

So much fun back in the day.. TRAINNNNN

Sitting in East Commons and screaming.. auctioning.. i remember when the bazaar came out.. ran through east commons.. it was EMPTY. It sucked

Tygerwoody said:
Exactly, the thing about everquest that made it so good was the stuff you HATED in it. Everquest was NOT easy. Not by a long shot. Now every MMORPG is babyfied.

Boat rides are a good example. Or how about waiting HOURS for a group? Or paying tons of money to get teleported because they're werent many players out there high enough that could? Or camping a single spawn for litterally MONTHS for a single levitation cape? Remember that? Remember Hundreds and Hundreds of people dieing from a "single swoop of the dragons claw"? Remember when dieing was BAD? Spend 8 hours of leveling to die and lose more experience then you gained in that 8 hours? Remember the first time you saw an Ogre? or a gnome? Remember your first rusty LONG sword that had such awesome stats? Or better yet remember that great Shiney Silver Double Axe? Mithril Greatsword? Executioners axe? Jboots? Mithril legs? RUBI BP? FBSS!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I didn't know how much i really missed it til now? And guys keep in mind I haven't played this game in almost 5 years!!!!

rofl just by the way your talking I can tell you had it bad, REAL bad.. that nasty addiction, those evercrack flashbacks, heh.. I do agree with you, I used to play muds before EQ even existed and that is exactly how it was, you spent a sick amount of time working on quests and skilling up weapon skills, only to lose ALL of your gear/money on one quest, and you can't even get back to get it.. I played wow for 6 months (and since quit) and the only consequence of dieing is having to walk back to your corpse.. truely newbified, and takes the intensity out of that type of game, where your shitting bricks if you die because your actually losing something, and not just 5 mins to walk back to your body..

Techx said:
rofl just by the way your talking I can tell you had it bad, REAL bad.. that nasty addiction, those evercrack flashbacks, heh.. I do agree with you, I used to play muds before EQ even existed and that is exactly how it was, you spent a sick amount of time working on quests and skilling up weapon skills, only to lose ALL of your gear/money on one quest, and you can't even get back to get it.. I played wow for 6 months (and since quit) and the only consequence of dieing is having to walk back to your corpse.. truely newbified, and takes the intensity out of that type of game, where your shitting bricks if you die because your actually losing something, and not just 5 mins to walk back to your body..
u get ganked so much though you would have droves of people quitting right away. in darkshore we would get high level (?? to us) horde comming and killing lvl 10-15 NE people. It is really gay. The battlegrounds are right near there, why cant they go do that.

Anyone here ever get a GM item?

I remember when i got a GM item. I believe only one was given out total, out of all the servers. I was on the Rathe. I got it within the first year of the game. Don't laugh at the stats. Believe it or not it use to be pretty good :cool:

Red Bladed Short Sword
7 dmg
22 delay

and no it wasnt even red. It looked like a simple short sword :D

Tygerwoody said:
Anyone here ever get a GM item?

I remember when i got a GM item. I believe only one was given out total, out of all the servers. I was on the Rathe. I got it within the first year of the game. Don't laugh at the stats. Believe it or not it use to be pretty good :cool:

Red Bladed Short Sword
7 dmg
22 delay

and no it wasnt even red. It looked like a simple short sword :D

No, but I got the rarest drop in WoW when I played and I did it on my first kill and beat out 14 other people. About the same odds as winning the lottery, haha.

It was the Baron's mount.

everquest.allakhazam.com/equipment/fashion.html

I am at work so i cannot access this website , but can someone go to this website and look for

Human Male

Enamel Black Breastplate

and post the picture on here? My picture is there. I want to save it, as i dont have ANY pictures anymore. If someone could i need it hosted somewhere else

I played EQ right after Kunark was released. I made a dwarf warrior that I got up to around lvl 21. I then made a dark elf wizard that I got up to like 8. I still remember the first time I logged into EQ. I popped into an underground hallway in the dwarf home city. I must have looked like I didn't know that I was doing because within a few minutes another dwarf came across me and started giving me instructions.

EQ was pretty addicting. I played every day after work. I loved exploring the world more than gaining xp/loot. I loved the 1/2 hr boat rides, running through Kith (how cool was the day/night cycles?!?) I loved checking out that high mountain pass that was patrolled by gnolls (i think). There was a tavern overlooking a waterfall up there...very cool spot. Taking the boat to Freeport and then making the scramble to Quenos was a blast as well.

I miss that players would go out of their way to help you. I remember when my corpse was stuck on the side of a canyon. I asked for help in gen chat and a necromancer took 20 minutes to help me find and rez my corpse. Players would share info and give tips. The spell system was great. As you lvled up you would get NEW spells, not higher ranks of the same spells you had for 50 levels. It was so cool to run to the trainer to see what your next ability would be.

I remember seeing high level characters and being IMPRESSED. I would almost be in awe when a lvl 45 magician would walk by. In WoW when you see a lvl 60, it's like "big deal, i'll be there in a few weeks".

What didn't I like about EQ? Sooo damm hard to find a group. This was terrible for me as I didn't know anyone in RL who played EQ. I remember one guy, another dwarf, who I grouped with for a few weeks. Outside of that I had to beg for hours to find people to party with. However, the groups that did form after all that asking were very good. EQ players just knew what they were doing when it came down to it. They players were hardcore and many times that led to them acting like total tools if they perceived that you messed up in the slightest way. Some thought that it was their job to berate and verbally abuse those who didn't play to their standards. The camping in EQ sucked. I didn't even have the patience to wait for the king to spawn on the chessboard, nevermind camping the prince.for a quest...i can't even imagine camping 3 days for a spawn. I really don't mind if games have such camps as long as the majority of the bosses are in instances.

I would love to explore EQ again if someone was willing to set up one of those emulated servers.

TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN!

I still miss EQ2, its been forever since I've logged on.

LadyMakoFox said:
TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN!

I still miss EQ2, its been forever since I've logged on.
If you haven't seen a Runnyeye train.... you don't know what a train is... ;)

Tygerwoody said:

I always loved the Mistmore and crap, that one zone with all the undead. *sigh* Oh! Unrest. Talk about some crazy trains.

Limahl said:
Might I suggest????

http://www.wintersroar.com/

Havent tried it myself, but been tempted.
I've played before... It's pretty damn fun. One must understand that it's not the same as EQ. They have modified a LOT of the content. Starting cities are completely different, spell names, quests and everything is different. They even WON a case against Sony/Verant trying to shut them down... As long as they aren't charging it's completely legal.

Prim3 said:
1 game:

This is the best suggestion youhave gotten so far. These are the guys who made EQ1 fun. IIRC Sony bought Verant out just after the RoK expansion. Shit went downhall fast after that. Verant did EQ1 and RoK and they did them well. Sony screwed most everything after that.

I expect SIGIL to prodouce a game that equals or surpasses my EQ experience.

i never even played EQ and now i want to... you guys are good!

hmmm ebay baby.... who wants to start a server for me? :)

Tygerwoody said:

Oh beleive me I know what a train is, I started on EQ1 but quit cause I was spending days online... then EQ2 rolled around and it happened AGAIN!!!

This is how I feel about UO. That was my first MMO. EQ never really became more than IRC with graphics to me. I mean seriously, who is going to miss sitting in the same spot for hours camping an item? Kill a couple frogloks then back to sitting on your ass waiting for them to respawn. Who misses trying to get in a group for an hour just to do anything? How about going through the slow and tedious process of soloing? Sitting medding for minutes while looking at a spell book? Finally finishing soloing and then head back to town only to die by some freak accident and lose all the experience? No other game has felt so pointless to me. So much hate in that game because of exp loss. I've never missed EQ. I even thought the graphics sucked and were fatiguing the day it came out. I actually enjoy WoW though.

Back