Having Everquest 1 withdrawls

Random memories.....

Being a level 4 or so and seeing those huge mammoths for the first time in Everfrost

Saving precious plat, about 100 or so, to buy that bad-a$$ glowing wooden crook

Being scared sh*tless being chased by the Vengeful skellies in Everfrost

"Meet you at Snowflake" or "Meet you at Bandl"

Soloing Mammoths

SoW uber alles!

Fishing, cause I was too cheap (or poor) to buy food

Shammy pet at level 32

"Stay with me 'cause there are Goons roaming!" (And what the h*ll was a Goon anyway)

/OCC "looking for a port to XXXXXX"

Landing on Kunark for the first time and needing to run through those dam* Drachs on Firiona Vie in order to get to Lake of Ill Omen

The cross continental boat rides

Oasis Sand Giants
--------------------------------

Most of my favorite recollections were in early levels. I didn't care much for the day long raids in the planes or camping uber mobs. Or the 'work' involved with being in high level guilds.

Greenwit said:
"Stay with me 'cause there are Goons roaming!" (And what the h*ll was a Goon anyway)
Dragoons. At night, the dragoon guards from the outpost would roam the zone, and would attack any light races. Good times...

i miss black burrow and leveling up with my buds :(... btw who all was in luclin server (before the veshan merger crap) i luv luclin... im glad im broke and have money otherwise i would still prolly be another evercrack noob... here i come guild wars

Anybody get the urge to just go online and play Midnite Challenge?

Then as soon as I get into it, I get bored. -_-

Well I played from prekunark to about GoD and quit for about almost a year and somehow got sucked back in there. I still log in a few times a week and go on a raid or two, but yes the game has changed. I remeber when I had a Crafted Bracer and was dual wielding a Mino axe and a Langseax and thought I was uber because I could Solo a Wisp...I dont think any MMO will ever capture that feeling for me again and I dont think my social life could handle getting stuck on a MMO again. I like having sex with girls too much to get stuck playing one again

As fond as the memories are for beginning play in EQ and DAoC, it's simply not possible to play like that anymore (speaking on a personal level). The good and bad thing about making an MMO that difficult and involved again, is that it becomes TOO involved. Having been there and having seen numerous friends get sucked into marathon hours of gaming, it just takes a toll. At this point, I think if an individual goes into a game like that (EQ1) with the intention of making it not only a gaming experience but a social experience, it's a great choice. However, if you want to play a game like WoW, while addicting in its own right, its unlikely to suck you in like a more time demanding game like EQ1 is.

A well developed sense of community in an MMO is founded in making people work together to overcome an obstacle. Whether that is taking a relic in DAoC or completing Plane of Hate/Fear in EQ1, the more time you spend together, the more you WANT to spend time together.

What works for me in WoW, is I don't want the social experience in a sense that I am looking to make alot of new online friends that are going to expect me to be there for a raid. I have enough demands on my time IRL. I don't want to feel obliged to do something in the gaming world. I want to be able to log on, play a few games of CTF in WSG and I'm happy.

Not sure this has any point...just rambling on.

Everquest 1 ruled.

I just quit this last June, and I have not had many withdrawl symptoms. I miss the "good old days" like everybody else, but theres absolutely no challenge in the game anymore. Do not restart. :)

Our raid organization I was in finially got to the plane of time, and you know what. It was uneventful. There was more sense of acomplishment the first time you got to the guk king than it was getting to plane of time...

Roaming around those planes are so boring. Throw a tree here, a bird there, and there was no rhyme or reason to the zones. No personality. Just random hills and monsters and call it a zone.

I started many characters the last year I played, on different servers and it sucked. I'd go to runny eye and play in there all day (solo)... And not 1 other person ever entered the zone...

The only zones people go to are the easiest zones in the game. Pauldal Caverns for example. The game is literally 7 zones now. If you aren't in one of these zones, the zone will be empty... Home Town, Pauldal Caverns, Dawnshroud Peaks, Dreadlands, Plane of Valor, BOT, Wall of Slaughter. All outside and very boring.

I always try to check out other places and people from my guild will not attend if it wasnt one of those zones listed above. I invite them to go to the Plane of Mischief to take down the chessboard king, and nobodoy comes. Go to plane of fear for alittle adventure fun/excitement of breaking into the zone (which should be trivial) and nobody wants to come... The most fun I've had in the game was playing with my roommate while we duo-boxed characters. We'd make our own groups and go to unknown zones and check them out... A SK, Bard, Shaman and Cleric did very well together.

I played up to Gates and finally got rid of my accounts (3). I had multiple 65s. I was addicted - no questions. I have so many fond memories. It was such a love/hate relationship, however. Finishing that quest - corpse retrievals. I literally went through withdrawals when I quit and still to this day have an intense desire to play from time to time. I imagine this is somewhat how a drug addict feels.

I remember hearing the rumors of The Planes where armor with crazy stats dropped. Unrest was the place to level and get some really good drops. Especially if you could get the ghost to drop the boots. Wow! Remember giving people permission to drag your corpse and pray they didn't loot everything off of it? Met a lot of cool people and a lot of turds. All in all it was a good experience. I actually improved my vocabulary quite a bit. Just some random thoughts. :)

Heh, I started EQ on April 1, 1999 and still play to this day. Im no hardcore player and my 2 toons (main and bot) each have over 200+ days played now. My wife hated this game with a passion until she actually tried it in 2003 and now has her own 68 rogue :) Anyhow, with the 10th expansion looking to be kick ass coming out in September the game has ALOT of life left in it and since WoW and EQ2 came out my guild has tripled in size. Its funny but we have had alot of people, within the last 3 months, quit WoW and come back to EQ1. See ya in game folks. =)

Vicar Vildayyan Darkhealer
Proud Officer of Sans Requiem
Druzzil Ro (Xev) Server

All these memories, brings a tear to my eye. I don't even remember any of the zones anymore! Played on Morell Thule in the guild Triune than went to Fury's Edge. Started after Kunark, quit before PoP. (TW is teh suck!)

Some of my favorite momments (some already listed about):
Going to crushbone and being tramped as a lowbie, going back as a highbie and killing the emperor and the ambassitor!
Getting lazy for my second character and buying crushbone belts and a fungi tunic for my monk and mowed through everything.
Falling for 10k when runnnig around in that ice zone with the spiders.
Temple of Vesshan, NToV when I first went to PoM and clicking on that spec to get into it.
Trains in KFC
Waiting for dragons to spawn, killing dragons, raid races
Sleeper's tomb, and when the sleeper was lose everyone in e. commons wondering if the game was over
Hitting level 60 on mushrooms in Luclin
AoE Seb! The funnest ever!
Getting killed by red con goons when I was trying to kill a cockrice at the waterhole or near the edge of the zone.
Going to VT and that's what ended it for me, just killing the same things over and over again.

Damn, I haven't played a single game for 2 months because of work!

Ok, I'll toss my 2c into this one...

I played since a week after release... Who remembers when Druid Wolfform got nerfed? Ya used to be able to zone into places like Neriak and Ogguk and change into a wolf and you would con neutral to all the NPCs...

Vildayyan2003 said:
Heh, I started EQ on April 1, 1999 and still play to this day. Im no hardcore player and my 2 toons (main and bot) each have over 200+ hours played now.
Damn, ya dont play that often if you only have 200hours logged...

I was on the E'Ci server myself... I had 3 toons... one with 126DAYS / 85DAYS / 62DAYS... I had to give my accnts away a couple years ago and walk away from it totally. The first year was hard but at least I see the light of day and the girls at the bars now ;)

Back