Having Citrix issues with a published application.

Loki008

2[H]4U
We just upgraded from MetaFrame XP to MetaFrame PS 4.0. In metaframe XP we were running databases where when you clicked on the viewer icon the viewer would pop up and the database and the viewer would communicate via a DDE connection. This worked just fine and dandy. However PS 4.0 seems to launch the database as one application and when you click on the viewer it launches it as a second application and the DDE link between the 2 programs is not working. Is there a way to get back to the old style where the 2 applications shared the same "desktop" environment rather than the way it is working now where citrix is treating them as separate applications?

Are you publishing them as individual applications or are you publishing a desktop? Are you using program neighborhood or the pn agent? It sounds like you may want to publish a desktop if you're not doing so and make those two apps available on the published desktop.

ND40oz said:
Are you publishing them as individual applications or are you publishing a desktop? Are you using program neighborhood or the pn agent? It sounds like you may want to publish a desktop if you're not doing so and make those two apps available on the published desktop.

We are publishing them as applications. We need to have these act as published applications for the way we are providing access. In the previous version it would launch as a desktop window with the database in it without access to exporer.exe ect then when you clicked on the viewer app in the database it would launch the exe in the same environment. . in PS 4 they are launching as seamless windows and they dont seem to be able to communicate with each other.

Loki008 said:
We are publishing them as applications. We need to have these act as published applications for the way we are providing access. In the previous version it would launch as a desktop window with the database in it without access to exporer.exe ect then when you clicked on the viewer app in the database it would launch the exe in the same environment. . in PS 4 they are launching as seamless windows and they dont seem to be able to communicate with each other.

are you not able to change it from seamless window to a launched window? for some reason, i just dont like seamless window. and no, i cannot give any reason why :p

Also, how do you have session sharing setup? Are they sharing the same session on the same server when they launch the second app?

Do you have a single Metaframe box, or multiple in your farm? I'm not sure if it works the same on a single box, but when I had applications with different settings such as screen size, sound on/off, etc... they would open up in different sessions across all the servers in my farm with the published app instead of under the same session on the initial server. In my case another admin had enabled sound for one app because a single user wanted to hear a ding when they hit the wrong key while switching fields in the app. Disabling it for all apps allowed them to run under the same session and let them cut and paste between apps again.

bigshooter said:
Do you have a single Metaframe box, or multiple in your farm? I'm not sure if it works the same on a single box, but when I had applications with different settings such as screen size, sound on/off, etc... they would open up in different sessions across all the servers in my farm with the published app instead of under the same session on the initial server. In my case another admin had enabled sound for one app because a single user wanted to hear a ding when they hit the wrong key while switching fields in the app. Disabling it for all apps allowed them to run under the same session and let them cut and paste between apps again.

We have a farm, i will have to check out the settings for this, however i think i am onto the issue. Basically what is happening is that the database application runs a script and creates and launches a .ipr file with the session info. When i went into the advanced settings in Windows for the file association and deleted the .ipr association and manually created it and enabled the Use DDE check box it started working. however only for administrators. Users still can not get the DDE link to work. Anyone have and idea why this may be?

First, are you using session sharing? That would be the easiest way to fix this. If you are using session sharing, then it sounds like your having problems between the two programs on the server. If that is the case, can you log onto the server and get them to interact correctly locally on the box?

Back