Having an issue with Arctic Freezer 34 Esports duo

PCMR4Life

n00b
I am having an issue with the Esports Duo by Arctic. It won't mount properly on my ASUS AM4 X570 TUF Gaming Plus motherboard. The cooler sits on top of the CPU as normal but bolts don't go all the way through the holes. It won't sit on top of the bolts like it should.

These are pics of my motherboard and the cooler.

UQf08G7.jpg

HNAYLZW.jpg

z2at1lt.jpg

There isn't enough of the bolt to screw the little thumbscrews onto.

I tried to install this cooler on an intel 1151 board about 4 months ago and the backplate wouldn't fit. So I decided I would keep it for my AMD Ryzen 7 build. I planned to use this cooler on my 3700X. But it seems like that won't be happening. I contacted Arctic by email and I plan to call them to see if they can send me something that might help mount it. I heard there was issues with this cooler and the ASUS X570 TUF boards. I was looking forward to using this cooler cause I heard the AMD prism wraith coolers are a bit loud.

Anyone know if there is anything I can do? Do I need to buy a special bracket or something?

Also someone else on this forum had the same issue. I was thinking about just posting in that thread but I figured I would make a new one instead of resurrecting an old thread.

https://hardforum.com/threads/coole...new-cooler-doesnt-fit-with-backplate.1988074/

Last edited:
Any access to a small lathe for machining metal? If so you could take some old mother board standoffs and shoulder them on the female threaded end to fit down through the bracket after you drill out the mounting hole of the bracket as large as possible. Would require some level of precision to do correctly but doable.

Any access to a small lathe for machining metal? If so you could take some old mother board standoffs and shoulder them on the female threaded end to fit down through the bracket after you drill out the mounting hole of the bracket as large as possible. Would require some level of precision to do correctly but doable.

No. lol

It would be easier to just use the stock cooler and look for a better one. Which sucks cause I paid $50 for this one and I would have liked to have used it.

I called Arctic a few minutes ago and explained my issue to the guy on the phone. He said I need a special backplate with longer threaded holes. They are sending me one for free. It will take 2-3 days though.

The issue I have is that Arctic knows this is an issue cause they make these special backplates. So why don't they just put the backplate in the box with the cooler and everything else? You know so customers don't have to wait for a part to be shipped to them. It's annoying as hell. If I had that backplate in the box I could have finished my build yesterday. Instead of having to go to the internet and ask people for help with a situation no one could even help me with.

I really hope this backplate works. I would rather use the Esports Duo than the stock AMD cooler.

I called Arctic a few minutes ago and explained my issue to the guy on the phone. He said I need a special backplate with longer threaded holes. They are sending me one for free. It will take 2-3 days though.

The issue I have is that Arctic knows this is an issue cause they make these special backplates. So why don't they just put the backplate in the box with the cooler and everything else? You know so customers don't have to wait for a part to be shipped to them. It's annoying as hell. If I had that backplate in the box I could have finished my build yesterday. Instead of having to go to the internet and ask people for help with a situation no one could even help me with.

I really hope this backplate works. I would rather use the Esports Duo than the stock AMD cooler.
at least theyre sending one for free. while waiting, i'd put it all together and bench test it(out of the case) with the stock heat sink. make sure there are no other issues.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
In your images it looks like CPU isn't setting into socket like it should. Obviously i8f CPU setting on top of socket instead of in socket CPU IHS will be much farther above motherboard. Hopefully you haven't damaged the 1000+ pins on CPU that connect to same 1000+ pins contacts in motherboard socket. Just in case, the link below is short video of installing CPU.

Please don't think I think you are dumb, just want to be sure CPU is installed properly before looking at other possible causes for problem. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know. From your pictures, it looks like the CPU is properly seated to me.

I have a Deepcool CLC that has similar issues. Sometimes if I can get a thread started on each screw it's enough to be able to start a cross tightening pattern. Hard to do without an extra set of hands though at times.

In your images it looks like CPU isn't setting into socket like it should. Obviously i8f CPU setting on top of socket instead of in socket CPU IHS will be much farther above motherboard. Hopefully you haven't damaged the 1000+ pins on CPU that connect to same 1000+ pins contacts in motherboard socket. Just in case, the link below is short video of installing CPU.

Please don't think I think you are dumb, just want to be sure CPU is installed properly before looking at other possible causes for problem. ;)

I don't think that at all. I actually installed the CPU twice to make sure before I even mounted the cooler.

Arctic sent me the bracket I need with new longer standoff bolts. Yes I needed them both and I am glad they sent the standoffs as well.

The CPU shows up in my BIOS so it's installed correctly. I have my PC completed and it's on my desk running fine. No issues with that.

The only issue I have is the RAM isn't completely compatible with AMD boards so I can't overclock it the advertised 3200MHz.

To fix that issue I just bought another kit. A Trident G.Skill with the RGB lights on it. Not a fan of RGB but the kit is supposed to specifically work with Ryzen and the OC profile.

Of course it's 16GB and not 32. But I don't do any video editing or anything that requires 32GB of RAM. I just play games and browse the internet.

I don't know. From your pictures, it looks like the CPU is properly seated to me.

I have a Deepcool CLC that has similar issues. Sometimes if I can get a thread started on each screw it's enough to be able to start a cross tightening pattern. Hard to do without an extra set of hands though at times.

It's seated right. The issue was with the Arctic cooler. They sent me the new hardware and it worked fine. Of course it took 4 days. But I have it all installed in my case and up and running. Everything works fine now thankfully.

Back