having a64 3000 issues *call an ambulance*

Rasha

Limp Gawd
having a hard time getting this sytem together, iits a64 3000, asus k8v motherboard, 9600 se video card, corsair xms series 1gb, just trying to bot into bios so i have all drives unpluged from it right now, mb is getting power because led and fan are on, also when i turn it on the no signal disapears and black screen comes up. nothing further, i dont get any beeps whats so ever or winbondage, i've tried revesing the speaker plug even though it shouldn't mattter, i've re seated the ramm, redone video card about a million times and im running out of ideas anyone got any ?

update::: have it bootingbut it will only boot with 512 it wont let me boot with both sticks, they worn independantly and i have updated bios to 1004

Alot of bad memory sticks have been popping up lately. Could be a bad stick. I wouldnt be able to help you much unless you told me what kinda beeps your box made.

Also try putting one in, and then putting the other in to make sure that both sticks of ram are good, It could be a bad RAM slot or any number of things

got it from new egg, both sticks work independantly, now i havn't tried putting one stick on anything ohter then slot 1, so i could technicaly have 2 bad slots i suppose but i can't do further chex till tomarow i have a 0600 formation i gota be at

oh yea no beeps with both installed it just doesn't load bios up, it just sits there blakscreen

Clear CMOS. My FX sat there on black screen when I turned on "Turbo1". Just messing around with settings and it didnt like it. Cleared CMOS and it worked like a charm.

Relax memory timings. The newer AMD chips demand a lot from memory. Mushkin has a nice article on it on their site.

i hate to sound so newbish but memory timing the one thing i've never gotten i look at my bios and some guides and i dont know which timing is related to what,

yea i understand that part, the problem is i dont know which numbers to change this bios is layed out diffrently then what im used to labled
cas latency
trc
trfc
trcd
twr
trwt
tras
trp
ddr clock delay

okay so board only boots when i have 1 stick in slot 1 , it wont boot if memory is in slot 2 or 3, i've tried setting it down to ddr 333 and cas 2.5, i've cleared cmos, about to try forcing 200 but this really getting anoying etc.

I remember reading in a few places that corsair memory isn't preferred for a64. I'm running 2x256 Mushkin pc-3200 level 2 and it will run but i think im getting memory errors. Tried changing setting, tried memtest86 and that won't even work. I would try memtest86 if i were you, would tell you if you have bad ram. Otherwise i have no idea. I have problems with mine and after reading this i have more of an idea of whats going on with the ram, even tho its from mushkin its a good read and describes what cas and trcd settings are

thnx for the replies guys, slots 2 and 3 on the motherboard dont work whatsoever its no memory compatibility issues, i just need a place to talk out my thoughts and ya'lls ideas kept me thinking thnx for the help

The only Ram that will go over 210FSB in my FX board is CORSAIR 3200 TwinPak, either that or i just got lucky, It will go upto 219FSB but no matte what i do it wont go over that.

Back