having a strange issue, dead card or not

tsubasa hanekawa

Limp Gawd
hello everyone, thanks for taking time to read this, ill jump straight in with what the issue is, my current gpu is an asus HD 7950 DCU2, i don't have another card to go to nor the money for another, effectively the card works fine, not had any issues at all till lately, and basically what it will do is be picky with which outputs actually work and which do not, it's not like it's just one port, it's all of them you could say, there is always one that doesn't work, but the one that doesn't work changes from time to time, really rather annoying but im wondering if this is a trait of a card on it's way out or is it something different entirely, my system has been fine before this, no recent changes but this has been fairly recent starting, i'd hate for it to be a sign of a dying card as i really don't have the money to replace it if so but if it is im sure there's something i can do in any case.

Try with just one monitor plugged in.

On another note, periods. Your entire paragraph has only 1. It made it extremely hard to read. You will get more replies if people can make it past the first sentence in your post.

Probably more likely a glitch with the newer drivers. How many displays are you running at the same time? OS might be relevant as well

Tryusinganolderdriver. Theneweronesmightnotbehelping.

Try with just one monitor plugged in.

On another note, periods. Your entire paragraph has only 1. It made it extremely hard to read. You will get more replies if people can make it past the first sentence in your post.

with a single display it works fine but still there is the issue of one port not working but the rest being fine, this port does change around though so sometimes it's the topmost DVI and sometimes it's DP, sometimes it has been all of them at one point individually.

im aware my english isn't all that great to begin with and i am in a little bit of a hurry, heading off out shortly, wasn't expecting responses so quick :p

Probably more likely a glitch with the newer drivers. How many displays are you running at the same time? OS might be relevant as well

most i've had running at any one time is 4 of them, 2 DVI, one HDMI, one DP to VGA, though i am on the newer drivers so that may be something to look into, will have a look into this when i return from my outing, as for OS it's win 10 pro but i've never had any problems with 4 displays before

Tryusinganolderdriver. Theneweronesmightnotbehelping.

will give this a go shortly.

tried rolling drivers back quickly and same issue as before so i don't think it's drivers, can't rule it out fully but it's not likely to be drivers at this point

Reset your CMOS in case it has corrupted.
Make note of any changes you have made first.

Failing that.
To be sure its not a config, corruption or OS issue, grab a spare hard drive and install Windows on it.
See if the problem still exists.
If it does, its likely to be a hardware issue.
If it doesnt, you at least know its worth trying to fix it on your main OS.

Reset your CMOS in case it has corrupted.
Make note of any changes you have made first.

Failing that.
To be sure its not a config, corruption or OS issue, grab a spare hard drive and install Windows on it.
See if the problem still exists.
If it does, its likely to be a hardware issue.
If it doesnt, you at least know its worth trying to fix it on your main OS.

will give these a go when im home with the exception of the windows reinstall, im swapping some server parts in for a new SSD likely mid week so ill need to reinstall for that anyways, ill try the other suggestions and failing that ill put up with three displays till i get the other SSD, hopefully it is just an OS issue, though if it is a hardware issue it only has to last a few months anyways so either way we'll see how it goes.

many thanks all for the suggestions, ill update if anything changes

so, update, the swap stuff took allot longer than i had anticipated, it would seem that it is not indeed an issue with windows, same issue is here with windows 7, seems like it might be the card, ill have to see if it's a dead cap or something when my soldering station turns up, if not then ill just go with it being a dead gpu and just not use that port (not that i can use it anyways though)

so, update, the swap stuff took allot longer than i had anticipated, it would seem that it is not indeed an issue with windows, same issue is here with windows 7, seems like it might be the card, ill have to see if it's a dead cap or something when my soldering station turns up, if not then ill just go with it being a dead gpu and just not use that port (not that i can use it anyways though)
Did you go back to an older driver like 15.7 to see if the older driver had same issue?

Did you go back to an older driver like 15.7 to see if the older driver had same issue?

yeah older drivers were pretty much the first thing i tried, tried older drivers on 7 too, no luck unfortunately, if i want my 4th monitor back it looks like ill have to invest into another crappy gpu specifically for the purpose of more monitors, that being said if i do that it gives me more ports, and i happen to have another 2 900p displays sitting about, this might be fun :p

Back