Having a Problem with my SoundCard (Asus Xonar STX)

LastQuestion

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I've had an Asus Xonar STX installed on my machine for about five years now. I haven't had any problems with it until last week. I am not able to get audio any longer from my headphone output jack or the two RCA output jacks. I can get audio from the SPDIF though. I am wondering if sound cards eventually wear out and if so can repairs be done by replacing components? Is there any way to better identify what part failed and how to fix it?

I know the headphones work, and my system hasn't had any significant changes in drivers or hardware in ages, and in the 'playback devices' explorer window I have the correct audio device selected. When I playback some audio the volume meter indicates it's going through, and well, just one day I stopped getting audio; no weather/accident/event to explain such an occurrence.

Usually I'd just go spend a lot of time doing my own research to figure things, but I've been absent from system building and tech in general for years now due to medical issues that take all of my attention. Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for a fix that doesn't involve purchasing a new sound card. I've become rather attached to the sound quality the Xonar STX has offered me so far.

Question: Do you get an audible click if you change the output between SPDIF and analog? If not, it's possible the relay that selects the output has failed stuck in the SPDIF position.

Question: Do you get an audible click if you change the output between SPDIF and analog? If not, it's possible the relay that selects the output has failed stuck in the SPDIF position.

No. There is no longer any audible click when I switch from analog to SPDIF. Also click on boot up that I'd usually hear isn't there anymore either. If the relay has failed, do you know if there is a way to repair it?

Update: I believe I've solved it. I came across this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1944476/asus-xonar-essence-stx-sound.html PastaActual said: "Solved: My sleeved MOLEX connector came undone and couldn't deliver power to amp. Reconnected power and everything runs fine.". So I unplugged the MOLEX and used another MOLEX connector on the same cable, and my Xonar STX works now. I unplugged that and plugged back in the original MOLEX and it also still works. I suspect maybe the card got unseated from the PCI-E slot just enough to affect some functions and plugging and uplugging the MOLEX was enough physical force to reseat it. That or something in the MOLEX somehow got loose, but the retention for the MOLEX is really tight, so it's hard to see how. Further, my case had some quirks that lead the PCI-E slots to not quite line up right in the vertical dimension with the cases support structures, so PCI-E cards aren't as snug a fit as they really should be.

Last edited:
Update: I believe I've solved it. I came across this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1944476/asus-xonar-essence-stx-sound.html PastaActual said: "Solved: My sleeved MOLEX connector came undone and couldn't deliver power to amp. Reconnected power and everything runs fine.". So I unplugged the MOLEX and used another MOLEX connector on the same cable, and my Xonar STX works now. I unplugged that and plugged back in the original MOLEX and it also still works. I suspect maybe the card got unseated from the PCI-E slot just enough to affect some functions and plugging and uplugging the MOLEX was enough physical force to reseat it. That or something in the MOLEX somehow got loose, but the retention for the MOLEX is really tight, so it's hard to see how. Further, my case had some quirks that lead the PCI-E slots to not quite line up right in the vertical dimension with the cases support structures, so PCI-E cards aren't as snug a fit as they really should be.

That was going to be my next suggestion; good to hear it was the molex connector and not the physical card.

Thank you for taking the time to help out. Asking the question you did put me on the right track.

Back