Having a Classic LAN party at my house

Aehs01

Weaksauce
So after seeing some old friends at a Superbowl party I came up with the idea that we should throw a lan party and only play classic PC games from back in early 2000~.

The current plan is to setup 8 PC's in my room (I already have 4)

We will be playing the following-
Jedi Knight 2
Tron
Counter-Strike 1.6
Operation Flashpoint the original (Our favorite from back in the day)
Warcraft 3
Giants Citizen Kabuto

What do you guys think? I am pretty excited honestly.

Any other suggestions for some good nostalgic games to consider?

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is fucking awesome. So is Operation: Flashpoint...totally approve of those.

I would recommend in addition:

UT/UT2k4 (Maybe not 2k4 if it's pre-2000, but still a good classic game)
Quake 3 Team Arena
Rainbow Six (anything Raven Shield or earlier)
SWAT 4

Speaking of OFP though, do you play ArmA2/OA? The community is still great over at Bohemia Interactive.

UT is not a bad idea, maybe I'll see if I can do Quake live via browser (same thing really) to keep it simple.

Rainbow six is also a good idea, I'll have to see what I still have lying around. I have 1 PC with TONS of old games just sitting on one drive, god knows if half of them even run or work on Vista/Win7.

I have played ArmA2 but just cannot get into it like I did back with OPF back in the day. Very much into BF3 these days so the slow pace kills me lol!

UT99 , Cube 2 and AssaultCube all good multiplayer fps game.The last two are free.

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, must must play this for LAN. Bunkers is a good map for a small group. Swat 4 for co-op, Killing Floor; office is another good map for a small group

Aliens vs Predator was always fun as hell (imo) at a LAN. The marines are always just cannon fodder, but fun as a group playing together.

Quake Live. Shogo.

Wow I remember that game...it was terrible, no offense to your wife. ;)

Tribes 2 was also released around then, would be fun to mess around with again IMO.

Yeah idk thats what she was into before she met me in CSS. It looks better than CS but far worse than CSS. She's asked me to find clans and stuff for it but we get too busy to play and it's far too easy to just goof off in TF2 instead.

i'd have RTCW multiplayer on my list. loved that game. need drink suggestions? :D

I remember Global Ops at LANs...kind of like CS Lite. It wasn't that bad.

Original AvP is a good idea. There's a fun co-op mode.

BF1942/Desert Combat?

Have you got Worms Armageddon?

Do be careful about power. With 8 PCs with all the bits and bobs, you're going to have a draw of about 4KW, so make sure that the computers are on at least 2 separate circuits. Long extension leads are your friend here. Do you have 1 power socket available per player? Each player who's bringing a PC should bring a 4-8 socket power strip with them.

Pre-lay your networking kit. You DO have an 8-port switch, don't you? And enough network cables of sufficient length? Beware trip hazards.

Do give some thought to scheduling. Consider the following format:

Doors open at 11:00. People set up PCs and have a couple of games. There will be problems.
Off to lunch at the pub at about 13:00, then back for more gaming
Takeaway for supper, then more gaming until everyone goes home.

Other games I thought about last night-
AvP original - I know it was mentioned and I do have a copy of this on Steam so it should be possible
Empire Earth - This might take up too much time, but I still have it.

In regards to the PC setup, I am providing 6 computers myself, I plan on also having two laptops and everyone will have headsets mostly. I actually have to move my bed out of my room to make room for everyone. I plan to run a another cable down the hall to provide power and I am also going to verify ahead of time all PC's have all the games loaded and can be instantly played with no issues. The last thing I want is wasted time with setup.

Oh and in response to some of the posts-
I do have Soldier of Fortune 2, not sure if it still works or not.
I believe I have C&C Generals.
I don't have any of the worms games.

I remember playing Diablo at the only lan party I ever went to, must have been early 2000, haha.

yeah, probably going to pass on Diablo since it's too time consuming to get into that and really not worth it.

You have the play the Blizz made TD on WC3... so epic when you get all 9 people going at it.

Good call on Giants, great game.

We used to play Delta Force a lot, but shit Halo is fun with 8 people. Sex is fun with 8 people.... chicks... hot chicks?

What about some UT2K4 simply for the Carball game mod? Not as old as UT99, but still a ton of fun.

Also another vote for Worms Armageddon, just be sure to get the latest unofficial beta patch. Pretty sure the fans are STILL releasing patch updates.

Also, I don't know about OP:FP. I loved it back in the day, but I tried to get back into it again a few years ago, and it's aged so terribly even with the graphic & texture mods. If someone managed to convert the original OP:FP campain into the Arma2 engine it would be amazing. A2 may have some performance issues, but it's a damn fine game. I'm getting OT anyway, this is supposed to be about older games.

What about some UT2K4 simply for the Carball game mod? Not as old as UT99, but still a ton of fun.

Also another vote for Worms Armageddon, just be sure to get the latest unofficial beta patch. Pretty sure the fans are STILL releasing patch updates.

Also, I don't know about OP:FP. I loved it back in the day, but I tried to get back into it again a few years ago, and it's aged so terribly even with the graphic & texture mods. If someone managed to convert the original OP:FP campain into the Arma2 engine it would be amazing. A2 may have some performance issues, but it's a damn fine game. I'm getting OT anyway, this is supposed to be about older games.

Holy s***, Carball. I forgot ALL about Carball. You win.

Rise of the Triad

That was an awesome game, but I think well before the early 2000 mark. ;) Hmm, haven't read those books since I was a youngin', wonder if they hold up. Wait, looking there is no book...wtf am I thinking of? :confused:

Doom can be quite fun. There is still some great maps in the series. Not to mention, mods that upgrade the graphis, add mouse look.
Quake series. Q2 dm maps are still some of the best. q2dm1 one of the best maps of all time. q2dm3 another great one. Match 1 is an awesome little map based on a quake 1 map. 4on4 warehouse is great fun. Quake 3 dm6, 7, 13 are some of the best ones in quake 3.
UT original is good.
UT 2k4 is considered the last good ut game, and is better than ut2k3. Though ut2k4 can connect and play on ut 2k3.
Jedi knight 2/3 would be great fun.

Never done these:
Diablo, warcraft, and starcraft games. I recall hearing great things about multiplayer. Never tried or for that mater played them. Well i do have diable and played for like 45 minutes..

Empire Earth might be a fun one. If you want to get really old-school, Hidden & Dangerous.

Back