Haven't built a rig since the i7-3770k was king, is hardware offloaded audio still a thing? I'm finding very little [H]ard evidence on the subject.

There are still bottlenecks in the architectures that impact performance negatively if audio is run through software. They may not be very visible but are there.

"They may not be very visible but are there." In your mind perhaps? Old single core performance issues from the 90's die hard methinks. Like people who think you get better audio CD burns if you use 1x burning speed instead of the 40x that the optical layer is specifically formulated for. Switching off Windows desktop animations and reinstalling Windows every 4 months. Ahhh those were the days.

"They may not be very visible but are there." In your mind perhaps? Old single core performance issues from the 90's die hard methinks. Like people who think you get better audio CD burns if you use 1x burning speed instead of the 40x that the optical layer is specifically formulated for. Switching off Windows desktop animations and reinstalling Windows every 4 months. Ahhh those were the days.
The x86 architecture is severely limited in certain buses. It should be redesigned.

Legitimately, the best audio you can have on PC is pretty much HDMI out from your video card to an AVR.

I just ventured into the audiophile world this year, recently sold headphones and went into proper 2 channel system.

I used Asus Xonar Essence One, external sound card with audio technica AD900 headphones for many years. Worked well, i then upgraded to RME ADI 2 Dac, and that was a massive step up in terms of audio quality. You can pick up probably similar audio quality much cheaper with less features from Topping (China brand). RME is German made with a lot of features. https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

I also owned 3,000$ headphones and i still preferred 200$ AD900 for gaming. Not always is the more $ better. :)

But yeah i highly recommend external DAC, with USB connection.

Pic attached of my old setup i compared 2 different DACs with ifi ican pro headphone amp.

Attachments

• DKPK.jpg
    DKPK.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 0
Back