Have you received some else's returned items from amazon before?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So about 4 months ago I bought a hand blender from amazon (directly from them not from a store on amazon) and when I got the package I opened it up to find another package on the inside already opened with someone else's shipping label already on it and their rma label. I took the blender out and it had been used before. I called amazon and they gave me a partial refund and let me keep it. It wasn't that big of a deal.

So today I get some dvd's (a series) I had ordered from them and I open the package and notice they aren't sealed at all and I open the case and there are two disk two's and disk 3 is missing. Fairly obvious someone returned the set after they opened it to find the same thing.

The costumer service was very helpful but this is kind of worry some to me because it is obvious they are just taking customer returns and selling them as new.

Anyone else have that happen?

My parents ordered something (don't remember what it was, but it was something small) and instead received a brand new apple desktop. I don't remember which one it was, but it was a ~$2000 computer. They called up amazon and apparently the shipping label was printed twice and stuck on both the package we were supposed to receive and someone else's apple desktop. The scary part was that amazon had no record of the computer being ordered or shipped. We did the right thing and mailed the desktop back to them on their expense, and I believe they gave us our original $15 purchase for free. This was about 1.5 years ago.

My parents ordered something (don't remember what it was, but it was something small) and instead received a brand new apple desktop. I don't remember which one it was, but it was a ~$2000 computer. They called up amazon and apparently the shipping label was printed twice and stuck on both the package we were supposed to receive and someone else's apple desktop. The scary part was that amazon had no record of the computer being ordered or shipped. We did the right thing and mailed the desktop back to them on their expense, and I believe they gave us our original $15 purchase for free. This was about 1.5 years ago.

Funny because I actually had something like that happen also. I ordered a movie and I got it a few days later but amazon said it wouldn't ship for a week. A week later I get an email saying my movie had shipped and I received another 2 days later. I called to send one back and they never knew I got the first one. Then they gave me a refund on that second movie which I shouldn't have gotten because they doubled my order. I called them and they took off the refund.

Their Customer Service is great but their shipping/rma department seems to be a mess.

Last edited:
I have been a customer of Amazon for years and have spent thousands of $$ there with no problems whatsoever. Recently however I have run in to some issues. The issues in question all revolve around a new Kindle version 3 3g. I previously owned a version 2 but my car ran over it, totalling it (don't ask) and I bought the newer version to replace it.

I don't know if they had a bad batch or there is a manafacturing issue with this version, but I am on my third one (two were sent back). The problem was always the same. The battery would not last, even with the 3g turned off and I would have to recharge weekly. In addition, the kindle would lock up which required a factory reset (hold the power slide in the on position for 20 seconds to force a reset). This resolved the issue for a period but the unit was constantly locking up. Also sometimes after a reboot I would lose my collection information( not the collection list themselves, but the titles in the collections were no longer associated with the collection. It was a pain in the ass to set up again.

Each time(twice) I returned my kindle for a replacement and now the third time around I have had to reset my kindle twice in a month but at least the battery issues seem to be resolved and I have not had to set up my collection again. We shall see.

I wonder if Amazon has reached a size where they are unable to keep as tight a grip on quality control, shipping/returns as the used to.

I recently ordered a portable Fiio headphone amp from Amazon. It was, without a doubt a returned item: there were scratches all over the screen (not just a few, but what would amount to a year of hard use), the packaging looked like it was reassembled by a two year old and the instructions had what looked like potato-chip-finger stains.

Needles to say, I was pissed for having to go to the trouble to return it. The order cam directly from Amazon too, not some 3rd party vendor...

I ordered a blue tooth motorcycle helmet and when it arrived I noticed the charge had already been cut open. Well I went ahead and plugged it in and the led indicated it was charging. Next day, I was going to go for a ride and listen to music and the blue tooth module would not power up. If I plugged it in it powered up fine. Turned out to be a bad battery for which I had to send it back and exchange it.

I think in the 7-8 years I have been with Amazon, we have returned 1 thing, and I think only 2 with Newegg, 1 of the 2 being my fault. But have never had something show up used.

I've ordered at least 10 orders, and 5 from newegg..... no problems from either store besides shotty merchandise which wasn't their fault..... I return stuff easily. The returns are cake, report it after work and the UPS guy is there the next morning and picks it up with the label and all. Too easy!.. and reporting a return to respawn said UPS guy takes a few sentences and 3 clicks when I need to return something. amzon ftw!

I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon over the years. Never any evidence of returned goods.

Yeah it's weird that I would get others returns. When I got my replacement dvd's they were completely sealed unlike the first set.

So I ordered natural history collection from amazon. The box was shrink wrapped but in that shrink wrap that many stores have and can seal stuff with, inside the box only one of 4 cases was sealed and the open cases had finger prints all over the bottom of the discs.

I don't think I can be this unlucky but something is up at amazon. Maybe its because I only buy stuff on sale so I get the "sale" items?

As a seller on Amazon, I can tell you that you will never get someone's returned items. If a DVD or video game is not completely shrink wrapped still, it will not be sold as new. Whenever a customer returns a dvd or video game, it absolutely must be sealed still according to policy. If amazon does accept the return, then they will sell it used as a warehouse deal. They actually do this with "fulfilled by amazon" sellers like me. They will reimburse me then sell it.

One thing to lookout for is "fulfilled by amazon". This means it is from a 3rd party, but shipped from an Amazon warehouse. You are guaranteed to get the item you purchased in the correct condition. If something is wrong, like used being sold as new, etc, then you contact Amazon customer support and they will fix it for you. The seller would also be perma banned from Amazon if they continue to do that. Buying from "fulfilled by amazon" is the same as buying directly from Amazon.

To munkle above. Contact Amazon and tell them what happened. They will send you a prepaid UPS shipping label through email. They will also sometimes pay for UPS pickup if you ask. They will cross ship a brand new item if you purchased directly from Amazon assuming they have it in stock.

I never gotten a used item from amazon. I did once received an extra box with someone's stuff. No apple computer though.

I also avoid "fulfilled by amazon" for some items that could be counterfeited commonly. Bluetooth headsets, razors, etc. The ones that say bulk packaging is a dead giveaway. Even though they're shipping from amazon, someone else is fulfilling it amazon and not the manufacture.

My brother in law ordered a logitech harmony remote and ended up receiving a macbook pro. (the best available model last year) He is a real big religious guy and he thought the right thing to do is to contact Amazon and get it returned so he could get his remote. He kept sending emails and Amazon reps never responded, however they ended up sending him his logitech remote and a coupon with an apology...They never sent return labels for the macbook nor replied to his attempts to recover it..he still uses it today.

With the millions of orders that they deal with on a monthly basis, I would not be surprized to see this happen. However in the 7+ years that I have used them, I have never received a used item unless I bought it used and I have never received anyone else's stuff.....

textbooks:

asked amazon via chat twice whether a certain book came with a certain code (for online access, homework submitted online). they said yes

first book came, no code. I chatted again, they said we'll send you another book. No code

sent both books back(2 boxes, different shipping labels/rma numbers). amazon only records one being returned. chatted with them, they credited me.

bought the book (and code) in the college bookstore

sigh... at least they were new :D

I've been using Amazon since 2006 and never have had any problems with them. Only negative thing I can say is that the expiration date on their warehouse deals aren't great but they make this known beforehand. It saved me countless trips to the store during college thanks to free Prime for students. I've only exchanged 2 or 3 things over the years due to defects out of at least 200 orders. I just hope they can maintain the quality service as they get bigger.

Evidently I did.... I bought a couple of mice 2 years back and used one, kept the other one 'sealed' all this time... then I just sold it as new, but when the guy gets it and opens it he sees it is used.... I was kind of skeptical but I guess it's not as far fetched as I thought... I even found where some others at the time on fatwallet had the same thing happen to them.

I've been shopping with Amazon since 2000 and never had any major problems. I do think the problems of getting open boxes or obvious used items might be from "fulfilled by Amazon" purchases. From what I understand of the concept is that seller ship items to Amazon, Amazon holds the product in their warehouse and ships it for them. To makes matters worse, when you search for the product often times the item you get when you click the "add to cart" button will choose a reseller not from Amazon.

Usually I find that the prices that Amazon are selling for are close or even cheaper than the "fulfilled by Amazon" seller. But at least I know that Amazon would sell only new vs questionable items from some guy working out of his living room.

I recently ordered some foosballs for work and the package I got was placed in plastic sandwich bags. I seriously doubt that Amazon would sell items this way if it was sold directly by them. It's not a big deal and there's some extremely

Ive been a loyal customer with Amazon for about 5 years, dont think ive ever had to return or recieved someone elses property yet. 5+ years, no problem....

/me crosses fingers!

Ordered gtx 580. Received it, looked fine. Serial number was registered with evga. So apparently Someone had it before or evga messed up and dupped serials.

I had a similar issue, I ordered my HIS AMD 6950 reference card when it first came out, got a DOA so I called up amazon to notify them of the RMA they send me a Label to ship it back in, but they do not have any in stock so I ask for a refund, but go back to there site to see that they are in stock. So I call up customer service to notify them of this and they say no problem and ship me out a new one, but also gave me a refund, needless to say I kept it hahaha

xD

Well I still have this problem about once a year. Last year my pioneer receiver had been opened and returned (box still had the other return label on it) and I got it. This year bought a toaster oven and its been opened, and retaped, cord is loose with the twisty tie just in the box, the tape they put on the item itself was in odd places like it was just stuck back on to re box it up. All of these were sold directly by amazon. I just send the items back now for an exchange, the blender I got in the op of this thread ended up dying in under a year so I'd rather just have the new item instead of return that might die quicker. I really think my account is like the used items account that amazon sends the returns too.

Last edited:
....snip.... really think my account is like the used items account that amazon sends the returns too.

What city are you in? Maybe there is a poorly run warehouse by amazon that services your area because it is closest.

Well I still have this problem about once a year. Last year my pioneer receiver had been opened and returned (box still had the other return label on it) and I got it. This year bought a toaster oven and its been opened, and retaped, cord is loose with the twisty tie just in the box, the tape they put on the item itself was in odd places like it was just stuck back on to re box it up. All of these were sold directly by amazon. I just send the items back now for an exchange, the blender I got in the op of this thread ended up dying in under a year so I'd rather just have the new item instead of return that might die quicker. I really think my account is like the used items account that amazon sends the returns too.

there is a crew at amazon in the shipping/receiving dept that have a fit of laughter anytime they see your name come through with an order. :p

Don't worry. You'll soon get an email saying they've closed your account for violating their policies with excessive returns. Problem solved in their book.

Don't worry. You'll soon get an email saying they've closed your account for violating their policies with excessive returns. Problem solved in their book.

I just got this email:

Hello,

We have noticed that an unusual number of your recent orders have been returned.

Since our mission is to be Earth's most customer-centric company, we want to make sure you are happy with your Amazon shopping experience. If we are not living up to our promise, please reply to this email and let us know what we can do to improve.

I'll probably get the account closure one next, apparently 2 returns in in 7 months is an unusual number. I returned a nexus 6 unopened as I decided to go with the 6p, and this toaster oven.

Last edited:
You need to tell them about your experiences. They will probably throw you a gift card or something as an apology as they should.

I'd never had a problem with getting stuff that was an obvious return until recently when this dog crate we ordered from amazon warehouse arrived looking like:
(I took the pictures of the box BEFORE I opened it.)

I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon over the years. Never any evidence of returned goods.

With the millions of orders that they deal with on a monthly basis, I would not be surprized to see this happen. However in the 7+ years that I have used them, I have never received a used item unless I bought it used and I have never received anyone else's stuff.....

Yea I haven't seen the issue either but I'm not surprised.

I average over 50 orders a year from amazon(I think I have over 90 this year although I buy a bunch of digital stuff). I think in the last few years I've had like 2 or 3 orders that got lost. It doesn't happen often.

I once bought a 1000 watt EVGA power supply from amazon and even paid for 1 day delivery.

I got someone's dead psu shoved into the EVGA box with the non-modular connectors cut off to make it fit.

Someone at amazon just took the returned item and immediately shipped it to me without inspecting it.

(amazon was the seller, new order not warehouse)

amazon sent me another after I complained but I was like how the heck do I prove I am not the a-hole who did this in the first place to amazon?

but they didn't care, they just replaced it

I once bought a 1000 watt EVGA power supply from amazon and even paid for 1 day delivery.

Interesting about the 1 day delivery. Yesterday I got a HEPA air filter delivered with free 1 day shipping. I received it without any cardboard box on the outside, just the air filter packaging (this one isn't even large, its a little bigger than a shoebox). The box was covered in some sort of oil on the outside.

Thankfully the air filter was wrapped in plastic or else I would have been returning the filter. The instructions said that the air filter would be wrapped in plastic and that I'd have to remove that before operating it the first time, but it was NOT covered in plastic. Makes me think this was another shoddy drop-shipped return.

1st Encounter : Bought a snapback, it was worn the crap out of. The shiny emblem in front of the hat is all scratched up.

2nd Encounter : Bought Micca MB24 speakers, box wasn't sealed. Plastic bags that covered the speakers had already been ripped open, scratches on speaker like someone put something on top of them.

I've returned both items of course but I am not surprised other people are getting used items listed as new.

I get shit from Amazon that looks like it's been used *A LOT* ... I'd say 30% of the time at least.

Putting my pointy tin foil hat on here, but I think the reason for getting returns sold as new is because companies are posting bogus positive reviews in droves on Amazon. When you get the product and realize it sucks, you return it. I always look at the worst reviews to see how the product really is.

I once ordered a mousepad, a Artisan HIEN Hard L, and it was fairly pricey, like $30 or so if I remember right.

Sold by a warehouse seller, fulfillment by Amazon. Got the box 2 days later thanks to Prime shipping and...

It was a "Children's Cut And Play Vegetable Playset" like this --> http://www.amazon.com/Simulation-Vegetables-Mushrooms-Pretend-Children/dp/B00LPAQZ1M

The packing label in the box showed the mousepad, so I don't know what happened, but someone in the warehouse didn't read that one too close.

Contacted customer service, they sent me a return label and I got the right product on the next try. Crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've never had a wrong item or a missing item so I guess I just get used items haha.

Back