Have you had any serious problems with Steam?

Have you had any serious problems with Steam?

• No, works perfectly

Votes: 111 49.3%
  • Eh, minor issues that don't detract from it's positives

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • Yes, this program is the worst thing since [place hated object here]

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • I don't use Steam

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

CKMorpheus

[H]ard|Gawd
Getting frustrated reading a responding to the 'I Hate Steam' thread, let's find out how many people actually have problems with Steam.

You need another option that says "Not since the launch of Half-Life 2."

Problems I have had

1) Steam suddenly thought that I didn't own any games. Had to restart steam to fix it.

2) I got kicked out of any CS game that I joined due to an authentication error. Restarting steam didn't fix it. The fix was to log out of steam (not restart) and then log back in.

My friend has had serious issues with steam. The one where it gets stuck on updating. It updates to a certain percentage then restarts. The only way he could fix it was making a separate install of windows on another partition.

Steam is GREAT when it works, but its a PITA when it doesn't work. Overall I like steam.

Only minor issues that have required a restart of Steam, but other than that; it's been perfect. I love it.

I've only used Steam for a few years so its performance has been pretty good...before that I've heard some pretty ugly stories.

The only minor issues I've noticed is that for some games I can't disable the Steam overlay. This might have been fixed by now, though (not on my computer to check). The only other thing is that sometimes (not even all the time) annoying is my server browser not remembering the locations at which I set them. Minor, very minor, though.

I like Steam for what it is right now.

I had a minor issue with steam thinking I was in another country. This prevented me from preordering for about a day. That's about it though.

So if I've ever had a major problem it's assumed I'm going to lambast it and say it's the worst thing ever?

Steam was unreliable when it first came out, I'm sure most of us who have been gaming for a long time can attest to that.

It seems perfectly stable to me nowadays, and I have no problem using it. I even like it. But in the past, it definitely had common issues.

I suppose I'll pick option 3, even though the previous issues were not "minor."

used it several times and no problems except for download speeds get iffy.

I used to have HUGE problems in Steam. It was basically ruining my ability to play HL2 because I would get authentication errors about once an hour in the middle of a game. Also, Steam had a habit of repeatedly crashing and just not working. In addition, the mandatory updates routinely downloaded at less than 1KB / sec.

However, for about a year now, it's been incredibly solid. I think they've fixed a lot of problems that they used to have, and while it's not going to be the same for everyone, I haven't encountered any major problems lately.

i havent had any problems yet with steam, but i have to say i still dont agree with the model. i dislike the idea of being dependant on valve for being able to play my games.

other games i will be able to load up in 20 years (given that i woul still have compatible hardware), run the patches that i save, and play away. with steam, im not sure if ill be able to even install after the service is gone/moved on

so no, no problems, but i definitely dont like steam

Problems I have had

1) Steam suddenly thought that I didn't own any games. Had to restart steam to fix it.

Same problem I get on occasion. The latest was 3 days ago when I started to play Ep1 and quit came back and Bio Shock didn't show in my games list and the other games were preloaded, had to restart steam to get it to work.

Minimal problems for me really. Like one time when i first installed steam after a format steam told me that i need adminstrator right to install...But i just restared the exe to install and it installed correctly.

Also sometimes, rare really, it will tell me when i start steam that another instance was running and it told me that "only one instance can run at one time" :rolleyes: .

Edit: im using Vista home premium 64 bit so that may be the culprit.

Minimal quirks here and there, but it's stable overall.

Last one I had was when I was trying to add a friend - added him, he didn't get the invite, so I figured I'd delete it and resend to try to get it to populate. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me. Did some google searches and found others with the same problem, but no solution. Came back a few days later and it worked like a champ, so no huge deal.

Your poll is a bit flawed, don't you think? Having a choice between "No problem", "Trivial problems which amount to nothing" or "OMG MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE AND MY FAMILY'S BEEN MURDERED" isn't really representative, though I suppose that's intentional

i have had a minor glich now and then but nothing huge that i couldnt fix

Your poll is a bit flawed, don't you think? Having a choice between "No problem", "Trivial problems which amount to nothing" or "OMG MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE AND MY FAMILY'S BEEN MURDERED" isn't really representative, though I suppose that's intentional

I actually agree.. Something along the lines of,

1. No Issues
2. Some Minor Issues, Not Really A Problem.
3. Some Serious Issues, Steam Is Still Usable, But Problematic.
4. Serious Issues, Steam Is Nearly Unusable.
5. Numerous Serious Issues, Steam Is Useless.

I actually agree.. Something along the lines of,

1. No Issues
2. Some Minor Issues, Not Really A Problem.
3. Some Serious Issues, Steam Is Still Usable, But Problematic.
4. Serious Issues, Steam Is Nearly Unusable.
5. Numerous Serious Issues, Steam Is Useless.

That's what I was getting at. No point in creating a poll to ascertain something's popularity if it's going to be weighted from the outset, just to push your own agenda.

I was a fairly early adopter of steam since I was into cs pretty hardcore at that point in my life. As a result, I've seen the various iterations of the program. I, along with just about everyone else, had a lot of major issues early in the development cycle of the program, but ever since the update circa HL2, I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

You need another option that says "Not since the launch of Half-Life 2."

heh...before then?

Yes...

I removed Steam a few times (way back before HL2) only to find it deleted everything in the directory it was installed into, i.e the steam install folder was C:\games\steam and after an uninstall my "games" folder was empty...

It had a horrible start with friends not working for like 2 years.

More recently...

The cross button top right doesn't close the application, not sure when this became standard but thats the whole point of that button...

Server browser is terrible, they've not managed to add a proper bot filter in the 2-3 years the community has been screaming for one, they've not managed to fix the bug where steam doesn't remember fave's/history in game and out of game when on the desktop. The server brwoser scrunches all the columns up together like ping, player size etc.

Yeah, your agenda here is completely indecipherable.

1. OMG I LOVE STEAM
2. OMG I HAD LIKE ONE PROBLEM BUT I STILL LOVE STEAM
3. I am an idiot and do not know what is good for me, so I do not like Steam. BTW, I am an idiot.
4. Meh

You sly fox, you.

It was freaking HORRENDOUS when it first came out and replaced WON. Had numerous issues.

They were fixed, I don't run into them now. I prefer to buy games on Steam rather than in a store now.

heh...before then?

Yes...

I removed Steam a few times (way back before HL2) only to find it deleted everything in the directory it was installed into, i.e the steam install folder was C:\games\steam and after an uninstall my "games" folder was empty...

It had a horrible start with friends not working for like 2 years.

More recently...

The cross button top right doesn't close the application, not sure when this became standard but thats the whole point of that button...

Server browser is terrible, they've not managed to add a proper bot filter in the 2-3 years the community has been screaming for one, they've not managed to fix the bug where steam doesn't remember fave's/history in game and out of game when on the desktop. The server brwoser scrunches all the columns up together like ping, player size etc.

I never used it before Half-Life 2. I don't really care for multiplayer games all that much anymore, except at LAN parties, so I never bothered with Counterstrike or Day of Defeat, or the server browser or anything like that. It was Half-Life 2 that introduced me to Steam, and it pissed me off really really bad at the time. I couldn't play the game for days because it wouldn't authenticate and decrypt the game. After that got sorted, I had such terrible download performance from Steam that it sometimes took a couple of days to download updates.

But all of that was years ago, and it has been a really long time since I had a problem with Steam that wasn't a PEBKAC issue.

I used to work with autoclaves on a daily basis- always had an interesting, painful burn somewhere.

Aside from that, I managed to convince a drunken airhead at a party that Steam was invented by a British physical chemist named Lord Steam. :rolleyes:

If you're talking about some copy protection scheme, and if it bothers you that much, grab your inhaler and go play outside. It's probably a beautiful day somewhere.

I don't like the hoops you have to jump through to get mods working on some games. Hopefully, either developers can adapt to standardize the procedures or Steam can increase compatibility on their end with their DRM.

I use it on my desktop and 2 laptops with a large list of games with no problems.

I have never had a Problem with steam ever. I used to use Steam alot but to be honest im not a fan of Downloaded Content jsut because I cannot Resell the Game. So I pretty much Refuse to buy Digital.

Other then that I do have alot of games on steam from the past that I still play & it runs great.

Getting frustrated reading a responding to the 'I Hate Steam' thread, let's find out how many people actually have problems with Steam.

Do you own stock in Valve? If not, why are you frustrated?

Wheres the other complainy thread? I wasn't done being mean.

edit nvm found it. ARRGH F*ing hate Hardforums with threads that move around and I'm too stupid too look for them, but oh well I'll keep using hardforums because it's the best option available to me.

helluva bump! i'm currently having a problem with steam...the servers are down for maintenance. other than scheduled outages...it's been just fine.

As plenty of others have stated, way back in the long, long ago Steam had some major issues. Since HL2 (give or take), things have been fine.

Back