have you gotten your new NVidia/AMD upgrade card yet? Why not?

Local retailers in Australia still hadn’t fulfilled all the 3080 orders from Day 1 (particularly asus) before the Ti came out.

My 3090 was the same price or cheaper than the 3080 Ti’s are now.

All a bit mad. Then again I can’t get a new Xbox or PS5 either.

I got my Asus tuf 3080 Wednesday. Paid $1500 for it. I've got it hooked up to my lg oled but guess what? The freaking HDMI cable I paid extra for for the "8k certified" doesn't have the bandwidth to run 4k 120hz 10 bit color! So I'll have to go to best buy later today.

I got my Asus tuf 3080 Wednesday. Paid $1500 for it. I've got it hooked up to my lg oled but guess what? The freaking HDMI cable I paid extra for for the "8k certified" doesn't have the bandwidth to run 4k 120hz 10 bit color! So I'll have to go to best buy later today.
Ouch, insult to injury. Well, hope you get some enjoyment today out of it =).

It is encouraging to see that forum prices for video cards are going down though. 5700 XT was posted in the 300s. Good trend. Hopefully, the downward spiral will continue!

Still trying to get one from best buy but have never seen any in stock for months. Signed up for the que evga but who knows how backed up they are lol not really in a rush bc most games don't need the new 3070 to play well

Still trying to get one from best buy but have never seen any in stock for months. Signed up for the que evga but who knows how backed up they are lol not really in a rush bc most games don't need the new 3070 to play well
And maybe NVidia will announce the 4000 and you will still be on the EVGA queue.

I have bought a 3080Ti just a few weeks ago, right after Chinese govt announced its move against crypto and the prices started falling, and actual cards became available in official Czech distribution. It was all rather dramatic - first, I have won an auction on eBay for a 3090 for cca 47000CZK (approx.1850 Euro), I sent the money to the buyer, but he claimed that the "card is damaged and/or out of stock". I was furious, because even though the eBay returned the money back to me, I lost 29 Euro only on fees and currency exchange (it moved against me, unfortunately). I demanded that the seller, who violated the auction rules, pays the fees (if an auction is concluded, the seller HAS to sell, and the buyer HAS to buy), but both the seller and eBay showed me middle finger.
Then there was a very fast move downwards, a batch of cards appeared in Czech eshops, and was gone literally in a few hours! All sold out! I even spotted a EVGA 3080 for about 36000 CZK (about 1400 Euro), I thought I would read reviews and then order, went to the kitchen to make something to eat, but I slipped, fell and hurt my back really bad - before the pain subsided enough that I was again able to think about computers and GFX upgrade, the card was gone!
Finally, I bought a Palit 3080Ti card for about 40000 (cca 1560 Euro), it's still overpriced, since MRSP for a 3080 Ti is 23000 CZK here in Czech ( around 900 Euro), so I paid 1.7x the MRSP price, but you cannot get these cards for MRSP even today - and the price drop has stopped, even moved back upwards a bit, and the scarcity still prevails, so I am quite happy for the purchase. I wanted a Nvidia 3xxx card that would support HDMI 2.1 and 4K gaming at comfortable FPS, so that I could play on my new LG OLED C1 TV. That wish is now fulfilled, so I am happy. If I waited a year, I could buy it for MRSP, perhaps, but who knows what will happen in a year, I am not that young anymore, so I stopped postponing my wishes indefinitely. If I want something, and I have the money, I just buy it. Even though it's not "rational", strictly speaking, but are we, as humans, really that rational beings in the first place?
Mind you, us in Czech here have about one quarter of a purchasing power compared to US consumers. So the Yanks among you, imagine you would be paying four times than those inflated prices - that's how it hurts here to compete with the rich Westerners for luxury items! I also cannot even mention to my relatives and people around me how much did I throw just on gaming, because they would think I lost my mind completely. But I did tell my wife. We have separate finances, and she is a business consultant, and earns twice what I do ;-) So she does not mind that much. Even though she disapproves.
Life is strange.

Last edited:
I have bought a 3080Ti just a few weeks ago, right after Chinese govt announced its move against crypto and the prices started falling, and actual cards became available in official Czech distribution. It was all rather dramatic - first, I have won an auction on eBay for a 3090 for cca 47000CZK (approx.1850 Euro), I sent the money to the buyer, but he claimed that the "card is damaged and/or out of stock". I was furious, because even though the eBay returned the money back to me, I lost 29 Euro only on fees and currency exchange (it moved against me, unfortunately). I demanded that the seller, who violated the auction rules, pays the fees (if an auction is concluded, the seller HAS to sell, and the buyer HAS to buy), but both the seller and eBay showed me middle finger.
Then there was a very fast move downwards, a batch of cards appeared in Czech eshops, and was gone literally in a few hours! All sold out! I even spotted a EVGA 3080 for about 36000 CZK (about 1400 Euro), I thought I would read reviews and then order, went to the kitchen to make something to eat, but I slipped, fell and hurt my back really bad - before the pain subsided enough that I was again able to think about computers and GFX upgrade, the card was gone!
Finally, I bought a Palit 3080Ti card for about 40000 (cca 1560 Euro), it's still overpriced, since MRSP for a 3080 Ti is 23000 CZK here in Czech ( around 900 Euro), so I paid 1.7x the MRSP price, but you cannot get these cards for MRSP even today - and the price drop has stopped, even moved back upwards a bit, and the scarcity still prevails, so I am quite happy for the purchase. I wanted a Nvidia 3xxx card that would support HDMI 2.1 and 4K gaming at comfortable FPS, so that I could play on my new LG OLED C1 TV. That wish is now fulfilled, so I am happy. If I waited a year, I could buy it for MRSP, perhaps, but who knows what will happen in a year, I am not that young anymore, so I stopped postponing my wishes indefinitely. If I want something, and I have the money, I just buy it. Even though it's not "rational", strictly speaking, but are we, as humans, really that rational beings in the first place?
yikes hope that fall didnt hurt you too much.... i have a question tho: how could you manage to join in 2012 and still be n00b status lol

yikes hope that fall didnt hurt you too much.... i have a question tho: how could you manage to join in 2012 and still be n00b status lol
Well, I joined to discuss a specific technical problem, I did discuss it, and then I had no more questions, so I was sort of absent. I was lurking for a long time in the threads about OLED and displays, because I wanted to have an OLED gaming monitor since 2008. It was really my long term wish, I just love OLED, those colors, the contrast, I know it's crazy probably, but I am a lifetime gamer, I have been gaming since 8bits, loner, geek, introvert, you know it ;-), and the quality of my hardware that is the gateway to the magical world of games mean a lot to me. So I read tons and tons of articles, patiently waited, cheered when JOLED in Japan built a fab, was disappointed when they threw just a few 55 inch panels on the market that turned into monitors like that 55 inch Alienware monitor with 4k @ 120Hz that does not even support GSYNC priced at over 4000 USD, so a disappointment. This year - nothing. I finally realized that I could wait forever for a reasonably priced gaming monitor, because the manufacturers just don't want to risk the investment, and they are milking the LCD fabs ad infinitum (QLED, miniLED, etc), plus burn-in would mean just too much problems with RMA, so I went ahead this year and bought the LG OLED C1 - and I needed a strong enough card to power the 4K res, so I bought also the 3080Ti, and now I am happy, and I am very chatty, because I am so happy all of a sudden ;-)

BTW yeah, the fall was really bad, I am fat and old (48) years, so I heal rather badly and slowly. It still hurts, even after a few weeks, but it's getting better, and I know that problems with spine take patience and time to heal completely. I don't think there is a permanent damage, it's getting better every day, thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Well, I joined to discuss a specific technical problem, I did discuss it, and then I had no more questions, so I was sort of absent. I was lurking for a long time in the threads about OLED and displays, because I wanted to have an OLED gaming monitor since 2008. It was really my long term wish, I just love OLED, those colors, the contrast, I know it's crazy probably, but I am a lifetime gamer, I have been gaming since 8bits, loner, geek, introvert, you know it ;-), and the quality of my hardware that is the gateway to the magical world of games mean a lot to me. So I read tons and tons of articles, patiently waited, cheered when JOLED in Japan built a fab, was disappointed when they threw just a few 55 inch panels on the market that turned into monitors like that 55 inch Alienware monitor with 4k @ 120Hz that does not even support GSYNC priced at over 4000 USD, so a disappointment. This year - nothing. I finally realized that I could wait forever for a reasonably priced gaming monitor, because the manufacturers just don't want to risk the investment, and they are milking the LCD fabs ad infinitum (QLED, miniLED, etc), plus burn-in would mean just too much problems with RMA, so I went ahead this year and bought the LG OLED C1 - and I needed a strong enough card to power the 4K res, so I bought also the 3080Ti, and now I am happy, and I am very chatty, because I am so happy all of a sudden ;-)

BTW yeah, the fall was really bad, I am fat and old (48) years, so I heal rather badly and slowly. It still hurts, even after a few weeks, but it's getting better, and I know that problems with spine take patience and time to heal completely. I don't think there is a permanent damage, it's getting better every day, thanks for asking.
well congrats on your purchase, and i hope you heal faster lol

I got a 2070 back when it first launched. Paid about $700 for it. No way in hell I'll ever spend that much again. Luckily, GPUs last forever, usually.

I'm seeing dual-fan versions of the 3070 going for $800 today. We're not there yet, but we're getting closer. All those people on ebay asking over $1000 for a used 2080TI should take note.

I'm seeing dual-fan versions of the 3070 going for $800 today. We're not there yet, but we're getting closer. All those people on ebay asking over $1000 for a used 2080TI should take note.
I can't image how much it hurts for the 2080 TI users, but I have to agree. They will just have to eat the cost if they are thinking about upgrading to the 30 series. However, if they can wait, the 2080 TI still has plenty of life in it. Perhaps they can wait till the next generation.

Putting a high end build together for a buddy, and my machine is sorely in need of an upgrade. I'd buy a 3090 and a 3080.....today if I could, at retail prices.

I enter the NewEgg lottery, am on the list at EVGA....but I'm not chasing cards.

Sold my 2080Ti last summer and got lucky enough to buy a 3090 from EVGA on launch morning. With COVID making vacations almost impossible last year, I had plenty of extra money for unnecessary expenses. Other than having the 3090 die and go through a (luckily quick) RMA process, I've been happy with it. Now that my TV has Gsync, that's been even better. I regret nothing.

I haven’t upgraded in years. No real need as current games do not interest me anymore. I’m replaying older games in my library like Left for Dead 2. That and I simply cannot afford to redo my rig. I don’t have $1500 laying around to buy new hardware. Mortgage, bills, insurance, medical, etc. Adulting is not as fun as it seemed when I younger. I’d like a refund lol.

I haven’t upgraded in years. No real need as current games do not interest me anymore. I’m replaying older games in my library like Left for Dead 2. That and I simply cannot afford to redo my rig. I don’t have $1500 laying around to buy new hardware. Mortgage, bills, insurance, medical, etc. Adulting is not as fun as it seemed when I younger. I’d like a refund lol.
Kids? For me at least, the big change was not getting married, it was having that first kid.

you got the latest firmware installed on your TV?

It should...having that setup myself and using a cut-rate HDMI 2.1 cable I bought for cheap on Amazon. When you look in the Nvidia control panel area to select your resolution, are you scrolling down to the lower area where it has "PC" resolutions? That's where I'm able to access it. I'm even running mine through an AV receiver.

Attachments

• RES.png
    RES.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 0
Kids? For me at least, the big change was not getting married, it was having that first kid.

Indeed. The Wife Approval Factor (WAF) is heavily influenced by the number of children. In my case, I've found that it's much easier to avoid the red tape by building a new rig for one of the kids and having some new piece of hardware "accidentally" end up in my rig ;)

Indeed. The Wife Approval Factor (WAF) is heavily influenced by the number of children. In my case, I've found that it's much easier to avoid the red tape by building a new rig for one of the kids and having some new piece of hardware "accidentally" end up in my rig ;)
Should Wife Approval Factor be listed with the other product specs?

I usually built a new rig for myself and gave the old one to the kids. But that was before gaming was a Thing.

Got an eVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra, eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra and an eVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra all direct from eVGA queue system since the 3080 launched.

Wow! I am still waiting for the queue =(.
I joined the first 2 queues before I even knew they were queues and so got in super early. The 3070 Ti I was waiting on their website at launch and got in within the first 5 min and received a buy link later that day.

I joined the first 2 queues before I even knew they were queues and so got in super early. The 3070 Ti I was waiting on their website at launch and got in within the first 5 min and received a buy link later that day.
Lucky!!

It should...having that setup myself and using a cut-rate HDMI 2.1 cable I bought for cheap on Amazon. When you look in the Nvidia control panel area to select your resolution, are you scrolling down to the lower area where it has "PC" resolutions? That's where I'm able to access it. I'm even running mine through an AV receiver.

It was the cable. I ordered two 6' monoprice cables that claimed 8k for cheap on Amazon and neither would support anything other than 4k 60hz 8 bit color. Raising any of those settings would fail. The forty dollar 4' cable from best buy is working great. Playing Metro Exodus Enhanced in 4k with HDR and getting 70 - 100 fps at ultra everything and ray tracing is awesome!

Now I just need to get a new receiver with eArc 2.1 or whatever. I'll have to do some research to figure out any issues or problems in advance.

Been in Microcenter's GPU 'reservation' list for nearly two months. Curious if this thing is actually moving lmao.
We barely see eVGA cards now - but I refuse to pay the insane Gigabyte/MSI/Asus markup, so could be waiting easily into 2022 if it's some garbage MSI Ventus that comes in.

Hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm not optimistic. Moral is I probably should've moved my work meetings on that Tuesday last week to go get (semi) fleeced on either the FE 3070Ti or FE 3080Ti. Even the 3090, as ridiculous as it is at $1499, was available after store opening. It's a strange time when nVidia has made the Ti moniker generally undesirable (3060Ti, notwithstanding).

It was the cable. I ordered two 6' monoprice cables that claimed 8k for cheap on Amazon and neither would support anything other than 4k 60hz 8 bit color. Raising any of those settings would fail. The forty dollar 4' cable from best buy is working great. Playing Metro Exodus Enhanced in 4k with HDR and getting 70 - 100 fps at ultra everything and ray tracing is awesome!

Now I just need to get a new receiver with eArc 2.1 or whatever. I'll have to do some research to figure out any issues or problems in advance.

Go figure. I bought a pair of these off Amazon and they work fine. I tested them vs. the PS5's bundled HDMI cable and everything works the same. I'm tempted to actually buy some more just in case I need more down the line. It is pretty damn nice being able to play games at oddball refresh rates and get butter smooth performance with no tearing or weirdness. In my case, I wasn't very happy with eARC, though. There was a milisecond delay in the audio in PC games and it won't send DTS signals of any sort.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I snagged an Nvidia 3080Ti FE from the BestBuy restock a week ago. I wasn't planning on it, but figured what the hell and the line wasn't terrible so I figured my chances were decent. They even had leftover 3090's after everything was all said and done.

Go figure. I bought a pair of these off Amazon and they work fine. I tested them vs. the PS5's bundled HDMI cable and everything works the same. I'm tempted to actually buy some more just in case I need more down the line. It is pretty damn nice being able to play games at oddball refresh rates and get butter smooth performance with no tearing or weirdness. In my case, I wasn't very happy with eARC, though. There was a milisecond delay in the audio in PC games and it won't send DTS signals of any sort.

Are their any other options that will give surround sound though? I'm running an optical cable to my receiver right now and it's alright. Just no surround sound.

Hopefully eArc will improve in the future and become actually viable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are their any other options that will give surround sound though? I'm running an optical cable to my receiver right now and it's alright. Just no surround sound.

Sadly, afaik, you need a receiver that supports full HDMI 2.1, and those have been extremely buggy so far. You either lose VRR or have other issues with them - but you get audio. It's not really fully baked yet.

Right now you can use eARC or you can get one of the few HDMI 2.1 receivers out on the market. The only self-contained solutions are from Onkyo at the moment. At least in the mainstream. I own the 5100 and it's mostly okay, but there are some definite quirks. It *does* work, but Atmos in Windows is shaky and it only handles certain color profiles at 4K/120. No clue about the newer/pricier 7100 model.
The Denon AVR-X8500H and Marantz AV8805 AVR's will apparently work now, but both require an external break-out adapter. Supposedly both plan to have new models this Winter that will alleviate any prior issues.

Sadly, afaik, you need a receiver that supports full HDMI 2.1, and those have been extremely buggy so far. You either lose VRR or have other issues with them - but you get audio. It's not really fully baked yet.
To maintain VRR and input lag, you can try connecting your PC directly to the TV and then connect the eARC connection to the receiver. and then go into the TV settings and set the audio to be sent out to the receiver. You may also have to set it for bitstreaming, etc. to make sure its passing all of the sound options.

To maintain VRR and input lag, you can try connecting your PC directly to the TV and then connect the eARC connection to the receiver. and then go into the TV settings and set the audio to be sent out to the receiver. You may also have to set it for bitstreaming, etc. to make sure its passing all of the sound options.
Assumes your receiver has full eARC compatibility, and the TV is capable of sending all audio types out that way. A lot of high end versions of both still don’t have that capability :(

Assumes your receiver has full eARC compatibility, and the TV is capable of sending all audio types out that way. A lot of high end versions of both still don’t have that capability :(
Sending out bitstream should bypass your tv needing support for specific audio types. As long as the TV can send out an audio bitstream over HDMI, this way of connecting should workout best for gaming.

and for clarity, its probably gonna need to be bitstream from the PC or console and then bitstream from the TV to the receiver.

In cases where you can't bitstream from the device (getting bitstream from a PC can sometimes be tricky), that's when you will need to depend upon what your TV does and does not support, for audio decoding.

Last edited:

Do you know if the lg CX series of TVs allow this bit streaming option?

Back