Have you ever became mad within a game?

AceGoober

Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!
I want to preface this with I know full well games do not reflect real life. Games are a fantasy creation to provide entertainment, nothing more. That said...

What I'm referring to is playing a character and becoming so encapsulated within the character that something - a event, encounter, etc - makes you think in your mind, mutter, do something that you wouldn't normally do while playing the game.

Example:

Been playing Far Cry 5 the last few weeks; finishing the main story line a couple of days ago. There was one encounter that made me act out of character.

Stumbled upon one of the Cult Shrines where they cultists had a NPC on her knees, hands tied behind her back. One cultist was reading from a book while two others were watching the hostage. Before I could react appropriately and save the hostage, one of the cultist walked up and shot her in the head. That event made me mutter, "You sumbitch." and I proceeded to eliminate all the cultists with extreme prejudice, to the extent of dropping a grenade on the group of bodies before leaving the area.

I've never done that in any game prior to that point. Ever.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep all the time. Part of the fun I thought... I'd play GTA or games of that type and someone might cut me off driving and I'll have a vendetta against them. Like you said its a fantasy to have some fun with some digital characters. Don't think I should feel bad about doing that. Far Cry games are great at bring out emotion, Far Cry 5 story had many points like this, which made the game have a better narrative imo.

Another example, in Stellaris I'll wipe out entire Civilizations because 30 years earlier they 'insulted' me.

I don't think means you acted out of character. Games of this type would be rather boring if you didn't indulge in what the game gives you. Its like paragon vs renegade in Mass Effect. Yes its nice to be a paragon but somtimes its fun (funny) to be a renegade to the galaxy.

Nothing to feel bad about imo. isn't this the same idea where in movies/tv/books a particular character gets what they deserve and you might cheer at the result?

The Last of Us games definitely provoke emotional reactions from me. I feel like there are lots of games that try, but they're among the few games that succeed. There have been a few moments where I had to sit there for a few minutes just to process what even happened.

Yes, I do it all the time.

If I'm playing a shooter, and someone flanks me, I'll save them for last if I can. I'll kill everyone else, then, get rid of them in the most violent way I can.
If I can't, then I'll immediately pump them full of lead, and use a full clip even after they're down on the ground.

Mostly happened to me in MMO's. I'd camp a spawn point for hours (In the early MMO days) and as soon as the spawn popped, some people/party would come in and kill it and then i'd have to wait more time. Remember camping for Ragefire in EQ2 for over 6 months before i finally got him. Don't know how many times i'd finally go to sleep only to learn he popped soon after or even when he did pop when i was on no one in my guild was on at the time so i'd lose the spawn. Got to be a major Bummer.
Also remember getting very mad the one time when our guild kept wiping in the Plane of Fear repeatedly. Like in 10-15X repeatedly. (Mainly because we kept wiping trying to get our stuff back) GM finally killed everything in the zone so we could pick up everything and leave. lol

Mostly happened to me in MMO's. I'd camp a spawn point for hours (In the early MMO days) and as soon as the spawn popped, some people/party would come in and kill it and then i'd have to wait more time. Remember camping for Ragefire in EQ2 for over 6 months before i finally got him. Don't know how many times i'd finally go to sleep only to learn he popped soon after or even when he did pop when i was on no one in my guild was on at the time so i'd lose the spawn. Got to be a major Bummer.
Also remember getting very mad the one time when our guild kept wiping in the Plane of Fear repeatedly. Like in 10-15X repeatedly. (Mainly because we kept wiping trying to get our stuff back) GM finally killed everything in the zone so we could pick up everything and leave. lol
Not really what the OP is talking about. Talking about getting mad from the perspective of the characters and the game. You're talking about normal rage.

I want to preface this with I know full well games do not reflect real life. Games are a fantasy creation to provide entertainment, nothing more. That said...

What I'm referring to is playing a character and becoming so encapsulated within the character that something - a event, encounter, etc - makes you think in your mind, mutter, do something that you wouldn't normally do while playing the game.

Example:

Been playing Far Cry 5 the last few weeks; finishing the main story line a couple of days ago. There was one encounter that made me act out of character.

Stumbled upon one of the Cult Shrines where they cultists had a NPC on her knees, hands tied behind her back. One cultist was reading from a book while two others were watching the hostage. Before I could react appropriately and save the hostage, one of the cultist walked up and shot her in the head. That event made me mutter, "You sumbitch." and I proceeded to eliminate all the cultists with extreme prejudice, to the extent of dropping a grenade on the group of bodies before leaving the area.

I've never done that in any game prior to that point. Ever.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Far Cry 5 is a great example of it, I can remember feeling sympathetic towards to townspeople too. That game threw me for a loop, at the end it really blurred the lines of (were you the good guy or the bad guy) it really made you question your motives at the end of the game.

I was pretty pissed at Sephiroth in FF7 after he killed Aries, but wasn't everyone?

Yup... in my first Skyrim playthrough I got around to completing the main story line. Not too difficult being I had put that aside for a long time to finish up a million other things and subsequently was pretty powered up.

As it was, when dropped back into Tamriel I noticed no one really seemed to care I saved the flipping world, and some town NPC made a flippant remark about me being in the way or something and that ticked me off. I killed them, and then went town to town to wipe out that character model from the map.

Not usually. But sometimes in more recent roleplaying games I notice the morality seems backwards. For example, in a given scenario heretics are evil, your God(s) have proven their existence multiple times through physical manifestations, and a devil worshipper or atheist NPC is about to be executed for their heresy. Your options are (Good) Stop the execution or (Evil) Stand-by and let it happen or (Chaotic Evil) Cheer and applaud.

During those times I guess I don't really feel angry from a player character perspective, but I find it's easier to disassociate your thoughts from what your character would think/feel. Like yeah, duh, I'm playing a Lawful Good character and this devil worshipper is being executed, I'll go with the Cheer and Applaud option even though it's labeled Chaotic Evil because the writer's bias isn't going to influence me.

Mad? Not really mad but extremely frustrated. In the game "Mad Max" I got stuck in the known Havoc point gate glitch. Would not open no matter what. Eventually did an internet search and you had to wait for a storm to work it out. But to my further frustration it had to be a serious storm with lots of lightning not the smaller ones which I waited three times for which did not work either. Took some time to continue the game. :mad:

Broke my headset over Rainbow Six Siege. Was relevant though. Was pissed about the positional audio I had not helping much among other things. That was the most memorable for me.

Within the game though, yes but those situations feel minor. Like something happens and you go "oh really?? I'm getting you for that". Some people will say no but it probably happened and they forgot.

Seems a lot of people took this in a personally angry direction!

Yeah, I get angry IN game, or anything else that I think my character should feel. A bit like acting or playing a table top RPG, I try to inhabit the character. I know I got 'angry' in many of the Farcry games (they do a good job of making over the top villain's then letting you go ham on their peons. but suck at letting you do the same to the main villains).

One of my favorite memories is from Divinity Original Sin 2, I played it with two friends and RP'd the whole thing. neither of them wanted to play the 4th character I played two. My character was a insane lich, and my second was a bitch of a dark priest that worshiped him. One part of the game it spawns doppelgangers of your characters and forces you to fight them in a rather impressive arena (no spoilers). Since we where evil, they where good, and the priest copy came right for my lich almost killing him with healing spells in a single round... oh that would not stand (and I had some pretty epic buffs on for maximum action points) so I proceeded to beat the tar out of her with spells, then just because I could I teleported her over some lava (instadeath) and managed to snag her with one last self-immolation spell as she sunk into the lava. I was laughing my ass off.

Not usually. But sometimes in more recent roleplaying games I notice the morality seems backwards. For example, in a given scenario heretics are evil, your God(s) have proven their existence multiple times through physical manifestations, and a devil worshipper or atheist NPC is about to be executed for their heresy. Your options are (Good) Stop the execution or (Evil) Stand-by and let it happen or (Chaotic Evil) Cheer and applaud.

During those times I guess I don't really feel angry from a player character perspective, but I find it's easier to disassociate your thoughts from what your character would think/feel. Like yeah, duh, I'm playing a Lawful Good character and this devil worshipper is being executed, I'll go with the Cheer and Applaud option even though it's labeled Chaotic Evil because the writer's bias isn't going to influence me.
I hate this in games, as well. I like it when it's approached in a more ambiguous way so you're not told explicitly which one is good or which one is bad. In your example I think that is bad writing on the author's part because they are reflecting their own morality on the characters that have an opposite perspective in the context of the game world. It actually pisses me off enough that just knowing they programmed it that way breaks the immersion for me. I think this is Mass Effect's fault when they invented the dialog wheel that puts the "good" option in the top-right and the "bad" option in the top-left. We need to go back to RPGs of old where you got like a dozen choices with no explicit indication on how each one would affect your morality or reputation scores. That would bring back a lot more immersion as people would need to actually pay attention to what they're reading or listening to.

I hate this in games, as well. I like it when it's approached in a more ambiguous way so you're not told explicitly which one is good or which one is bad. In your example I think that is bad writing on the author's part because they are reflecting their own morality on the characters that have an opposite perspective in the context of the game world. It actually pisses me off enough that just knowing they programmed it that way breaks the immersion for me. I think this is Mass Effect's fault when they invented the dialog wheel that puts the "good" option in the top-right and the "bad" option in the top-left. We need to go back to RPGs of old where you got like a dozen choices with no explicit indication on how each one would affect your morality or reputation scores. That would bring back a lot more immersion as people would need to actually pay attention to what they're reading or listening to.

I don't think its personal morality being imposed, I think its linear story telling being mashed up against a chose your own adventure system due to either time constraints, budget constraints, or lack of talent (or some combination therein).

Linear story with generally modern values, yeah executing someone instead of imprisoning them would probably be the 'good' choice. However that form doesn't account for the massive choice in character that an RPG can present, and the branching dialogue system needed to accommodate the various potential characters and their internal morality. The only game that comes close to a system like this is Disco Elysium and that has an insane amount of writing.

The problem with your system is that there is still an underlying morality system, you just don't know what the 'morality' of your choice is unless you can dig into the numbers on some screen or through a file, so you might think your playing a good playthrough because your being true to what your character perceives as good but you end up being evil at the end.

The only solution is more time spend designing and adding dialogue trees, which is a pretty low development priority in the vast majority of games.

*Most writers I know are not constrained to their personal morals, in fact they tend to enjoy breaking free of those morals to explore possibilities and have way more fun being evil than trumpeting the typical paragon.

I think you wandered into the wrong thread ;).

zGHQb4O.gif

Games piss me off all the time. That's why I enjoy them. If they weren't challenging they wouldn't be fun. That feeling of accomplishment you get when you beat something that took you forever is very rewarding.

I miss Everquest. I don’t miss not having a life.

This is super normal for me.
When I lose my fleet or when I play team games like Overwatch or HoN.
Interestingly, this does not happen to me in singleplayer and PvE games such as They are Billions or Path of Exile.
Then I know that if something went wrong it's only my fault

Yes, executing someone rather than imprisoning them would probably be the 'good' choice in a linear fiction with generally modern morals. That approach, however, ignores the RPG's enormous character selection, as well as the branching dialogue system required to handle the different conceivable characters and their inherent morality.

Yeah intensive games makes you sneer and whince in a led lcd monitor. Raises you BP squishes your guts from trying to digest digital imagery.

But its all perspective.

MP-FPS games. Every single one of them. I simply cannot compete with 13 year olds hopped up on Mountain Dew and Adderall. That whole SBMM thing in COD threw my heart rate to the fucking moon. I get stuck in the loop of, I'm not going to bed until I get a win. I'll stay up until 2am until I do.

The new Battlefield looks decent, but I know its not good for my health.

95% of my gaming is Path of Exile. I have a decent grasp of the game. I almost find it relaxing to knock out a few maps before bed.

I used to play Overwatch a lot and get really angry. Eventually my account got banned for getting too angry. I stopped playing. I stopped getting angry.

Different circumstances, but I tend to play Street Fighter "angry" most of the time. Mainly just because I hate fighting hordes of Yolo Ken, spammy Urien, and boring Ryu players over and over online. Hence I taunt like there's no tomorrow and play pretty spitefully most of the time.

My character was a god damn saint in Fable.

You better believe I still put
Whisper or whatever her name was
in the fucking ground.

Paperdoll.png

In Ultima Online a group killed my PK and stole all my Magic Armor lol. Then someone looted my house in game with a exploit I contacted a GM game master to fix it and they said there is nothing they could do. I don't think any game out there has come close to the realism of 2-D Ultima. The only other 3-D games that came close to UO were Dark Age of Camelot, EQ 2 and Trion's Rift. Hoping Ashes of Creation turns out good.

NPCs in GTA 5 piss me off if they complain about my driving. Usually that start to get me distracted from a mission as I tend to kill them and go on a murder spree.

I also rage because I can't lick Ursula's scars while she screams 'daddy', during her booty call.
Or can't do more with Mary-Ann.

the Dark Souls series will rage any sane person out...I don't go crazy and punch my monitor or anything but I do get frustrated at times and need to take a break...cheap deaths piss me off more so then boss fights, like if I accidentally fall off a cliff or slip off some stairs into a dark abyss

Closest to getting mad (crazy shit) has been oblivion (shivering isles anyone?) Or fo3 being a ruthless, vindictive cunt.

Angriest ever? When a mate kept using Law? and doing the backflip move in tekken 3. Being young and even dumber than now, I couldn't figure out how to beat it [the move] so after 20 mins of the backflip meta, I threw the relatively heavy OG dualshock controller at his knee. Tears ensured xD

I don't really get angry in games these days. Very rarely will in wart hunter sorry war thunder, when a particular player takes me out a few times while I'm careless or carrying the team in a particular area of the map I'm best at, without team support (shit teams are most frustrating part of WT).
I specifically target clan handles (who shit non competitive matches up by playing in groups often) and players who have the 'old guard' or highly experienced flare under their handle. They are usually better players so its a nice challenge.
My favourite thing right now though is trying to eliminate clans playing together, single handedly. I wish I could pay to hear their voice comms, it's hilarious when they try to flank after I take two of their lads out in front of them xD

Back