Have you de-lidded an Ivy Bridge CPU?

How did your de-lidding work out?

• Awesome! Greater than 5 degrees celsius improvement averaged across all cores!

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Not so well. My chip no longer works.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • It works but it no longer functions properly or as well as before de-lidding.

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
Yea right you right a better book then. It help me get my A+ certification as well. Your just mad because it doesn't tell you how break your computer by Overclocking it. By the way I have computer old enough to prove that overclocking is bad because they haven't been overclocked and have been running for up to 12 years without any problems. She tells you everything you need to know in that book and doesn't BS about Microsoft's history like Mike Myers. She even has a PHD, which makes here more credible than most if not all other authors. You are in fact wasting your time overclocking because you don't overclock a server or a computer used as a client for a business because it just causes problems no matter how stable you can get the thing to run because it will never be 100% stable. I could go on and on about how it shortens the life of the computer as well and how you waste money buying new hardware because your computer died prematurely due to overclocking. Fact is that the components of the computer were not meant to handle the clock speeds. Do what you want with your hardware, but I know from experience that overclocking can actually decrease performance in some ways and you should at least benchmark before and after overclocking to get a good idea of how much of an increase in performance you gain before overclocking everything right out of the box. Eventually, though you'll get the idea that it not worth the trouble to overclock and that its better just to have a completely stable computer that may only crash due to file corruption in the software do viruses and malware or similar files that corrupt the system, which is also part of the problem.

I am not sure if you are a really smart troll, or just really dumb.

I do not care to comment on anything you have said except to say you are 100% wrong with your opinions.

EDIT: Congrats on your A+, it is the start to an IT career. Possibly in that career you will actually learn something. ;)

Sorry Guys, been dealing with messes from hurricane Sandy(Bridge:p)..lots of trees down in my neighborhood, flooding etc..Thankfully I did not have an issue with power..some areas here have been told by the power company to not expect it to be repaired until November 2 or later due to the flooding!

Nice voltage for 4.8 CC. I think you should have no problem with 4.9, hopefully the chip is willing, but it won't fail from temps.

Just a question, how come you stopped worker 1 & 4 early, is there a story behind that?

I was in a hurry when I posted that screen shot and didn't notice it..It appears that MicroSoft Security Essentials attempted to run while the Prime95 was going...I upped my Vcore from 1.272V to 1.289V and did another full run without any issues..

It's working great so far. Temps should drop some more with a little burn in period.

I didn't expect Liquid Pro to beat IC Diamond by so much.

Took about 5 mounts of Liquid Pro before I got the right thickness and contact pressure between the DIE and DT SNIPER water block. I'm not using an IHS so I think this is part of the reason the mount was so tricky but after all the effort the results are very satisfying.

I really think that the reason you are seeing such a huge difference is because of the fact that you use Way to much IC Diamond the first time, and you did not spread it like I recommended to you..

I know that IC says to do the blob and then use the pressure from the heatsink to spread it, but that is assuming you are using a large mating surface like the IHS..If you look on Xtreme and OCN, and even in the Anandtech Thread I posted, everyone recommenced using a tiny amount, heating it up and spreading it across the die..

I really think that the reason you are seeing such a huge difference is because of the fact that you use Way to much IC Diamond the first time, and you did not spread it like I recommended to you..

I know that IC says to do the blob and then use the pressure from the heatsink to spread it, but that is assuming you are using a large mating surface like the IHS..If you look on Xtreme and OCN, and even in the Anandtech Thread I posted, everyone recommenced using a tiny amount, heating it up and spreading it across the die..

Everything I have read or seen about IC Diamond and applying it is base on getting enough contact pressure to squeeze it to the perfect thickness. I've done small drops, medium drops, rice grain lines... and from my testing IC Diamond always ended up beating most TIMs by 2-3C per core but Liquid Pro really blew it away.

Also since IC diamond needs a high pressure mount force to work right it really isn't a very good choice of TIM for running on a bare die with no IHS with a water block. Liquid Pro on the other hand requires very little contact pressure force to work right and is ideal for my bare die no IHS mount.

You sir are on the wrong site, SoftOCP is I think right up your alley. and why are you trolling these overclocking threads? Most of us only keep a computer 3-5 years anyways, and some switch out every year! Your preaching is falling on deaf ears here son. Take your A+ advice else where

I've kept most of my machines for 3-5 years or less as well, but see no need to overclock them or de-lid the heat spreader from the processor for the sake of overclock. That book just confirmed why overclocking is not the best idea. I only stated how long I've had my computers because my friends still overclock and their computer don't even last 3-5 years. As I stated though do want you want with your hardware I'm just stating my opinions based on fact. Also I knew I would be accused of trolling, but my opinion is relevant to these overclocking threads.

I've kept most of my machines for 3-5 years or less as well, but see no need to overclock them or de-lid the heat spreader from the processor for the sake of overclock. That book just confirmed why overclocking is not the best idea. I only stated how long I've had my computers because my friends still overclock and their computer don't even last 3-5 years. As I stated though do want you want with your hardware I'm just stating my opinions based on fact. Also I knew I would be accused of trolling, but my opinion is relevant to these overclocking threads.

Your opinion doesn't seem to be based on anything besides "some book". Keep it close to your chest on a site like this, where thousands of members use overclocked chips on a daily basis with zero stability/longevity issues.

Well I'm sure glad you showed up to teach me the error of my ways. I'll just go ahead and return my PC to stock specs so it can last me for 3-5 years.

Good to see so many people in the poll having success de-lidding! :cool:

For those who are having problems please share the problems you encountered.

I actually de-lidded mine 2 nights ago. I will post pics when I get settled in. Power just came back on for me yesterday from after the hurricane.

I actually de-lidded mine 2 nights ago. I will post pics when I get settled in. Power just came back on for me yesterday from after the hurricane.

Nice. Hope it worked out well for you. Looking forward to reading about your experience.

I just completed my loop upgrades along with adding a layer around the die of Fujipoly Extreme .5mm thermal pad for support and to help cool.
I'm very happy with my initial results.
Just a quick and dirty standard run of Intel Burn Test right now.

Ambient Temp 17.6C
[email protected] 1.14V
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2578618

quickndirtymaxdelidmod.jpg

Minumum temps
16C 19C 16C 11C

Maximum temps
43C 47C 46C 40C

Yea right you right a better book then. It help me get my A+ certification as well. Your just mad because it doesn't tell you how break your computer by Overclocking it. By the way I have computer old enough to prove that overclocking is bad because they haven't been overclocked and have been running for up to 12 years without any problems. She tells you everything you need to know in that book and doesn't BS about Microsoft's history like Mike Myers. She even has a PHD, which makes here more credible than most if not all other authors. You are in fact wasting your time overclocking because you don't overclock a server or a computer used as a client for a business because it just causes problems no matter how stable you can get the thing to run because it will never be 100% stable. I could go on and on about how it shortens the life of the computer as well and how you waste money buying new hardware because your computer died prematurely due to overclocking. Fact is that the components of the computer were not meant to handle the clock speeds. Do what you want with your hardware, but I know from experience that overclocking can actually decrease performance in some ways and you should at least benchmark before and after overclocking to get a good idea of how much of an increase in performance you gain before overclocking everything right out of the box. Eventually, though you'll get the idea that it not worth the trouble to overclock and that its better just to have a completely stable computer that may only crash due to file corruption in the software do viruses and malware or similar files that corrupt the system, which is also part of the problem.

A+ is a joke certification. Anything taught by that cert should be common knowledge to most ten year olds. Might land you a degrading job at the geek squad though. If you want to make serious cash then study Cisco Microsoft etc. No money in computer repair. They are more or less disposable devices these days.

A+ is a joke certification. Anything taught by that cert should be common knowledge to most ten year olds. Might land you a degrading job at the geek squad though. If you want to make serious cash then study Cisco Microsoft etc. No money in computer repair. They are more or less disposable devices these days.

Could you guys take that conversation to a different thread? Thanks. :cool:

Last edited:
Could you guys thake that conversation to a different thread? Thanks. :cool:

Yea, If he posts that dribble in here again I am going to get a MOD on it..Nice work with the IX, although I still believe that some of the reason you are seeing such lower temps is the sheer amount of IC Diamond you used was acting as an insulator..I might be right, might be wrong, who knows?:p

Which block were you using before the DT Sniper? I can't remember off the top of my noggin..Also, where did you pick up that thermal padding you placed around the die? I never thought about using that, might give it a shot if I end up changing my block out..

As for my push beyond 4.8Ghz, it is still planned, but I have been thinking I wanna redo some things in my loop..I wanna get rid of the restrictive Koolance 320mm I have, and replace it with something like an RX360..

The Koolance is really killing my flow rate based on Bundy's testing..With a much more efficient 320 up top, I think I might do away with the Swiftech 120 as well..It reduces one more item in the loop...

Lastly, I have a pair of Koolance's quick connects in my cpu block..I don't remember their model number, but several reviews claimed they did not hamper flow rate etc..I installed them in the cpu since running with a naked die and using IC Diamond, I wanted a quick and easy way to remove my block and re-seat if needed..It appears I really lucked out on that..

P.S, Are you running with the Intel GPU activated or deactivated? I saw that some folks were claiming that turning it off would reduce temps, but I did not notice a difference in the single IBT Max stress and a few hours of Prime..

Yea, If he posts that dribble in here again I am going to get a MOD on it..Nice work with the IX, although I still believe that some of the reason you are seeing such lower temps is the sheer amount of IC Diamond you used was acting as an insulator..I might be right, might be wrong, who knows?:p

Which block were you using before the DT Sniper? I can't remember off the top of my noggin..Also, where did you pick up that thermal padding you placed around the die? I never thought about using that, might give it a shot if I end up changing my block out..

As for my push beyond 4.8Ghz, it is still planned, but I have been thinking I wanna redo some things in my loop..I wanna get rid of the restrictive Koolance 320mm I have, and replace it with something like an RX360..

The Koolance is really killing my flow rate based on Bundy's testing..With a much more efficient 320 up top, I think I might do away with the Swiftech 120 as well..It reduces one more item in the loop...

Lastly, I have a pair of Koolance's quick connects in my cpu block..I don't remember their model number, but several reviews claimed they did not hamper flow rate etc..I installed them in the cpu since running with a naked die and using IC Diamond, I wanted a quick and easy way to remove my block and re-seat if needed..It appears I really lucked out on that..

P.S, Are you running with the Intel GPU activated or deactivated? I saw that some folks were claiming that turning it off would reduce temps, but I did not notice a difference in the single IBT Max stress and a few hours of Prime..

Swiftech Apoggee HD was the block for the first test

GPU is inactivated.

Frozen CPU sells the Fujipoly xtreme thermal pad.

My CPU has gone from being a great CPU that ran hot to a Gold CPU that runs cool. Delidding has worked out like magic for me.

My CPU has gone from being a great CPU that ran hot to a Gold CPU that runs cool. Delidding has worked out like magic for me.

I couldn't agree more, and feel the same way about my 3770K..I was sorta bummed out when I peaked @ 4.8Ghz at first, but then when I started looking around and seeing people with way better Rads (like that sexy new beast you have!!) and newer blocks topping out lower or needing massive Vcore, I :D!..I wish you had a 3770K so we could see how high you could get yours (not that your 3570K isn't a beast in it's own right!)..

I am gonna drop a wanted Post in the FS Forum for a RX360 for a decent price..I really hate buying used water-cooling gear, but if you hunt around, you can really luck out..

MY favorite WC score (shy of what I could of gotten from DD! kgjwdjt) where 13 BitsPower Compression Fittings and 2 Koolance QDC sets for $60 shipped..When I messaged the seller I didn't have the proper adapter for the QDCs, he told me not to buy any, and he dropped 4 in the mail to me on his dime..

I wish you had a 3770K so we could see how high you could get yours (not that your 3570K isn't a beast in it's own right!)..

I'm very happy with my delidded 3570k and have had alot of fun with it but with MircoCenter lowering the price of 3770k to $229.99 I am thinking about selling my delidded 3570k and buying a 3770k. The only set back I think I could possibly have is that I could end up getting a 3770k that is a high voltage slow pig. That would suck... If I got one like that I would exchange it for another. With IB its hard to tell what you get due to the poor IHS design but I would be looking for at least 4.5GHZ with 1.15v without delidding it. My mb BIOS is all set up for fast ram 2400mhz low voltage 4.5 GHZ settings for my 3570k. All I would do is drop in the 3770k and see if it would post with the same settings.

Really thinking about getting one soon.

So why not suggest what types of clothing to wear? Something to minimize the amount of static capable of being built-up? How about an air purifier that has an "ionizer", that also helps balance out the "static" in the air? Any other ideas?

Maybe try giving suggestions other than..."connect to an earth ground in your house"...because thats the easiest answer for EVERY enthusiast? Amiright?

Those already exist. There's special static-dissipative smocks and labcoats you can buy for this. I still have the one I wore when I did production work. The other issue is the work surface, but there's temporary mats you can buy for this use (which has a special wrist-strap cable to ground you, the chassis, the mat and to plug into the ground pin of an outlet). Cotton clothing works well if you don't want to drop $35 on a smock.

The mat and wrist-strap set is about $50. It's a good investment, especially compared to the time wasted on intermittent problems that static discharge could cause.

I'm very happy with my delidded 3570k and have had alot of fun with it but with MircoCenter lowering the price of 3770k to $229.99 I am thinking about selling my delidded 3570k and buying a 3770k. The only set back I think I could possibly have is that I could end up getting a 3770k that is a high voltage slow pig. That would suck... If I got one like that I would exchange it for another. With IB its hard to tell what you get due to the poor IHS design but I would be looking for at least 4.5GHZ with 1.15v without delidding it. My mb BIOS is all set up for fast ram 2400mhz low voltage 4.5 GHZ settings for my 3570k. All I would do is drop in the 3770k and see if it would post with the same settings.

Really thinking about getting one soon.

If you are planning on staying @ 4.5Ghz, I would be willing to bet nearly any 3770K would do 4.5Ghz with that voltage..That speed is pretty easy to reach @ stock Vcore, even among guys that had really Voltage hungry chips when pusing to 4.6Ghz+ plus..

I actually found that crazy, since so many can do 4.5Ghz @ stock, but the worst ones require +.1V to just get to 4.6Ghz..With the fact that yields improve over time, and that fact that MC CPUs don't sit around long enough to get dust on them, I think you would be fine:)

Your opinion doesn't seem to be based on anything besides "some book". Keep it close to your chest on a site like this, where thousands of members use overclocked chips on a daily basis with zero stability/longevity issues.

Not really I attempted overclocking in the Past and found that benchmark scrores were slightly lower than when not overclock, but this was without watercooling or phasechange cooling. My point is that stability is not gauranteed though and that it decreased the life of the components, which is why I don't recommend it. With the right cooling you can significantly improve scores though? However until recently you couldn't expect it to happen with air cooling and I still have my doubts about cooling with air though.

Not really I attempted overclocking in the Past and found that benchmark scrores were slightly lower than when not overclock, but this was without watercooling or phasechange cooling. My point is that stability is not gauranteed though and that it decreased the life of the components, which is why I don't recommend it. With the right cooling you can significantly improve scores though? However until recently you couldn't expect it to happen with air cooling and I still have my doubts about cooling with air though.

You were doing something incorrect, period.

Don't base your judgements about something YOU were doing wrong and don't go around spewing garbage about something you know nothing about.

SIGNIFICANT performance increases are very possible with a $25 air cooler, and this has been the case for 10+ years.

Found a sweet spot for 24/7 5ghz.

Ambient Temps 24C
RAM 2133mhz CL 9-11-10-27 1T @1.5v
3570k@5ghz with 1.376v

http://valid.canardpc.com/2585171

247lowv5ghz.jpg

Coud not have been possible without delidding. :)

I see that you did that run on "Standard" in IBT? Can you complete at least 10-20 passes using all your memory under "Extreme Mode?"..Have you been able to do a 24hr Prime95 run with AVX enabled?

I think that you will find that Vcore is a bit low for Prime95 stability, but I hope it isn't..

PS, did you get my PM regarding the Thermal Right heatsink you are using?

I see that you did that run on "Standard" in IBT? Can you complete at least 10-20 passes using all your memory under "Extreme Mode?"..Have you been able to do a 24hr Prime95 run with AVX enabled?

I think that you will find that Vcore is a bit low for Prime95 stability, but I hope it isn't..

PS, did you get my PM regarding the Thermal Right heatsink you are using?

Sent PM.

My 3570k never ran right with the extreme mode settings on IBT even at stock clocks. Didn't like it.

It seemed extremely stable though. I didn't get around to doing 24 hour PRime95 but did do some custom memory setting runs that lasted about 1/2 hour and it handled it with nice temps and smooth as butter.

Right now I am testing new i7-3770k that is looking very good. Haven't delidded yet and it is running my delidded 3570k settings but not IBT stable but did about 5 minutes of Prime95 and all 8 threads were running with AVX and the temps were in the 80s and 90s at 5GHZ.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2595380

Seems worthy for delidding. :)

Getting ready to take the razer to my first new 3770k.

Final testing before delidding..

Batch 3226C840 I7-3770k
[email protected] vCore 1.15v
4.5GHZ
Watercooleed with UT-60 420mm RAD and DT Sniper water block.
TIM IC Diamond
Not Delidded
Ambient Temps 21C
http://valid.canardpc.com/2595435

HT on

3770kbasetest4p5HTonIBT.jpg

Package Min 26c Max 66C

HT off

HToff3770k4p5baseIBTtest.jpg

Package Min 23C Max 66C

Last edited:
The deed is done. My first 3770k delid. This one was much tougher than my 3570k. Lid was tight. Worked 2 different razers to get the lid off.

razersanddelidded3770ksmall.jpg

reborn3770ksmall.jpg

Bare Die Mount no IHS.

Bare3770kdiedirectblockmountsmall.jpg

Getting ready to take the razer to my first new 3770k.

Final testing before delidding..

Batch 3226C840 I7-3770k
[email protected] vCore 1.15v
4.5GHZ
Watercooleed with UT-60 420mm RAD and DT Sniper water block.
TIM IC Diamond
Not Delidded
Ambient Temps 21C
http://valid.canardpc.com/2595435

HT on

3770kbasetest4p5HTonIBT.jpg

Package Min 26c Max 66C

HT off

HToff3770k4p5baseIBTtest.jpg

Package Min 23C Max 66C

Time to see if a little delidding magic will happen. Wish me luck! :cool:

After delidding.
Ambient Temps 22C

Hyperthreading On

deliddedIBT4p5GHZresults3770kHTon.jpg

Hyperthreading Off

DeliddedIBT4p5GHZresults3770kHToff.jpg

You were doing something incorrect, period.

Don't base your judgements about something YOU were doing wrong and don't go around spewing garbage about something you know nothing about.

SIGNIFICANT performance increases are very possible with a $25 air cooler, and this has been the case for 10+ years.

Your wrong cooling significant performance increase with air weren't possible until Sandy Bridge and even then its not truely with air as most air coolers are heatpipe.

Last edited:
Your wrong cooling with air didn't grant significant performance increase until Sandy Bridge and even then its not truely with air as most air coolers are heatpipe.

What are you on? A $25 cooler on an i7-920 could raise your overclock ceiling to 3.8 GHz from 3 at the MOST with the stock cooler.

Didn't know 960 could be delidded. Fire method work on IB?

The method is the same, except the last step. You still cut the epoxy with a razor, except, you need four razors and you leave the razors stuck in-between the IHS and the substrate to create a 'wedge.'

Because the 960 IHS is soldered on, you hold it upside down and heat up the solder with a flame. Then, because you've cut the epoxy and the razors are forcibly trying to separate the two components, the heatspreader just pops off when the solder liquefies.

The method is the same, except the last step. You still cut the epoxy with a razor, except, you need four razors and you leave the razors stuck in-between the IHS and the substrate to create a 'wedge.'

Because the 960 IHS is soldered on, you hold it upside down and heat up the solder with a flame. Then, because you've cut the epoxy and the razors are forcibly trying to separate the two components, the heatspreader just pops off when the solder liquefies.

Sounds a bit more complicated but its great info to know. Thanks. If Intel starts using fluxless solder again I will refer to this thread to delid.

Wow, not a great result in the poll. I figured I'd do this in a few years when the new has worn off my 3570K, and that is confirmed seeing the poll results!

Wow, not a great result in the poll. I figured I'd do this in a few years when the new has worn off my 3570K, and that is confirmed seeing the poll results!

I firmly believe there are thousands of successful overclocker's running their 3570/3770K cpu de-lidded, and the fact that a few reported in here the damage they did while attempting a very easy task paints a distorted picture. If you take your time, use the proper tools and follow the information those of us who did this early on have provided, it is a no brainer. It is an easy way to get more performance at much lower thermal levels.

I firmly believe there are thousands of successful overclocker's running their 3570/3770K cpu de-lidded, and the fact that a few reported in here the damage they did while attempting a very easy task paints a distorted picture. If you take your time, use the proper tools and follow the information those of us who did this early on have provided, it is a no brainer. It is an easy way to get more performance at much lower thermal levels.

I agree. There are some who even delid after failing to delid. It's just an obstacle to over come for over clockers. Delidding has become a right of passage event for Intel IB over clockers.

Overclock.net has one of the best delidding clubs around with many successful delids.
Despite what the poll numbers state in this thread (which I don't agree with) there are more people delidding with success than this poll shows.

Check out the Delidding OCN club.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club

Last edited:
Back