Have you been affected by a defective 7900 series card?

Have you been affected by defective 7900 series hardware?

• Yes

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Maybe/Perhaps/Unsure (post explanation in thread)

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters
Don't vote if you don't own one!

trying to see how many 7900 series owners are affected... geez man.

ElMoIsEviL said:
Don't vote if you don't own one!

trying to see how many 7900 series owners are affected... geez man.
Maybe you shoiuld have posted that in the thread, because I voted as well...

Ahhh.. damn..lol..

well I changed it now. To bad I can't change the poll.

Trying to gauge what percentage of peeps were affected on here.

So right now it's actually 50/50.

ElMoIsEviL said:
Ahhh.. damn..lol..

well I changed it now. To bad I can't change the poll.

Trying to gauge what percentage of peeps were affected on here.

So right now it's actually 50/50.
Well, maybe others voted no because they don't have a card ;).

PM AtomicMoose, he'll close this for ya, then start a new one:

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) I don't own one.
4) Some did, some didn't.

I volt modded my card so I put that I wasn't sure if I have been effected. My ram overclocked really high for about 2 days, and now I can't go any higher then stock with it so I am pretty sure if I did not volt mod my card that it would be crapped out by now. Which could be an interesting way to have people fix them...

mine works

but the fan seriously revs up and down nonstop.. its very annoying is this a common problem or how it should run?

Yea I had a defective XFX vcard, the black 550Mhz one with VIVO. I RMA'd it with NewEgg and the replacement vcard has been incredible.

yes, a defective XFX 7900GTX, its being RMA'ed and I'm going to sell the replacement card in its unopened retail box on Ebay. I'm unwilling to play an extended RMA game like some people here have done just to get one working card. Once burned and I'm out.

Yes. An EVGA 7900gt KO SC. Underclocking the memory is keeping it going for now. I'm RMAing to EVGA; they cross-shipped UPS next-day air and the replacement should be here this afternoon!

I don't think so. It runs great, except for one or two games (America's Army & BF2), where it has a .5 second stutter every few minutes. It's not that serious and sometimes doesn't even happen, but if it happens when I'm about to shoot (AA) or am flying (BF2), it can cost me. :(

not bad. according to the poll, over half the cards are broke. according to the manufacturers, its somewhere between 2 and 3%. so my 2, working, volt modded, overclocked, stock cooled evga 7900gt co sc's are like a damn miracle.

I answered Yes.

eVGA 7900GT CO SuperClocked Edition ordered from Newegg May 1st. Card did fine for about a week and then started going down the tubes. Same exact symptoms as everyone else... first started in 3DMark 06 Deep Freeze test and spread from there.

It took a week for eVGA to even acknowledge my RMA but once they did they sent me a replacement by next day air which was awesome.

Replacement card is one of the new 'fixed' cards, which actually appear to be a rebadged KO edition card. Working great sofar...

for whose who whine about this, isn't it true that it only happens to an OC card? Stop OC your GPU, you are not supposed to. :D

Happy Hopping said:
for whose who whine about this, isn't it true that it only happens to an OC card? Stop OC your GPU, you are not supposed to. :D

So completely untrue it's not even a laughing matter.

It appears to be happening on ALL 7900 series cards, but it's worse on those that come pre-overclocked from the company. How can we be responsible for a card like that?

I voted maybe. Since then however most of my problems have disappeared. When I first bought my 7900GTX EGS everything was fine. Then Battlefield 2 started acting up. I switched to a newer driver and problems went away so I guess its a bit of maybe and no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hopping
for whose who whine about this, isn't it true that it only happens to an OC card? Stop OC your GPU, you are not supposed to.

So completely untrue it's not even a laughing matter.

It appears to be happening on ALL 7900 series cards, but it's worse on those that come pre-overclocked from the company. How can we be responsible for a card like that?

Yeah it definitely does not have anything to do with overclocking- I underclocked my card 100mhz on both the core and memory from STOCK speeds and it still artifacted.

Happy Hopping said:
for whose who whine about this, isn't it true that it only happens to an OC card?

Ummm....no.

I went through three cards including cards at stock clock speeds. I have a fourth on its way to me through BFG Tech's RMA service. That card is going on the sales block.

So what I can gather is that about 50% of people so far have had issues.

So nVIDIA, XFX, BFG and eVGA's statements that it's like 1-2% seem to be false.

It may VERY well be 1-2% of purchased cards (seeing as they ship MANY MANY that prolly haven't sold yet).

So 30-50% of 7900 cards are affected.

RECALL!

The poll results for this thread are mortifying.

I had to RMA my XFX 7900GT with newegg. It finally started displaying the problems after Deep Freeze was on its 8th consecutive run. I'm pretty angry. What's so special about Deep Freeze anyways?

ep1taph said:

I had to RMA my XFX 7900GT with newegg. It finally started displaying the problems after Deep Freeze was on its 8th consecutive run. I'm pretty angry. What's so special about Deep Freeze anyways?

It just makes the GPU work hard. You can achieve the same result with a few other super intensive 3D situations like Oblivion or F.E.A.R.

does anyone know what particular cards these are? mine are sn 000017 and 000056. i just finished playing thru f.e.a.r. again at 1920x1440 all max ,soft shadows enabled and they are still fine. they were installed 3/13. its supposed to be definite that these cards will break? the last poll that was taken here a couple weeks ago showed nothing remotely like these numbers. are more cards breaking, or people with working cards not bothering to vote?

ep1taph said:

I am in 100% agreement. Normally I'm a big Nvidia supporter. So many 7900 owners having problems is ridiculous! to say the very least. This is compounded by the fact that there are paid Nvidia forum trolls, has really shaken my confidence in the company. When my 7900GTX broke, 1 month after purchase, I bought a card from a ATI so far couldn't be happier. I may never return to the green camp. This poll is probably way off and is not at all accurate, but because threads like this are even necessary, shows there is indeed a big problem. :(

7900 GT from XFX, I did a volt mod www.thevir.us/vmod3.jpg and I'm getting artifacts in games.

This is my 2nd card from XFX. I had to RMA the first one back to ZipZoomFly because it was DOA, artifacts out of the box, even on boot.

This one is watercooled and has a heatsink on the 2 hot IC chips near the power cable. Throughout HL2 Episode 1 I had about 3-4 artifacts (stretching textures) and blue/green lights on the floors and walls in 1 part of a level, where you crawl through the vents and end up in an elevator shaft with water.

This really pisses me off that it came to this. I understand that I'm voltmodding and overclocking, but even at stock speeds it screws up. I'll wait a bit and if there's no recall I'll go through XFX and get an RMA, I just want to make sure I don't get another bunk card. I might RMA in a month and hope that the bad cards are done away with. If you Google '7900gt volt mod', most of the hits include XFX, so they're bound to sell out first (It's why I bought one).

Thankfully the voltmod is reversable, only goop, so I can return it without any issue. The card and memory are watercooled with a Koolance VGA cooler and uses Arctic Silver Ceramique. I checked to see if the cooler was loose on the memory/gpu but it seems pretty tight.

eVga 7900GTX ...runs great . I would get another one for SLi if my room was cooler and I had the cash
:)

Back