Have the urge to upgrade my PC

darkhunter139

Supreme [H]ardness
I feel like upgrading my PC and am trying to decide what would be the best upgrade. I am thinking video card but i'm not sure. Here is my list of parts what do you think would be the best upgrade?

22 inch 1680x1050 LG monitor

GPU: GeForce 8800GT 512MB

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600

Power Supply: Corsair 550W

Yes... video card would be the best place to spend some money for your rig. Suggest either a 4870 or GTX 260 as their are both even in terms performance but is 4870 is far cheaper.

Also overclocking your Q6600 to 3.0 GHz is suggested.

So I guess the 4870 is the way to go then right? Is there any benefit to the GTX 260?

Is there anything specific that you do with your computer often? Or an area where you might see a deficiency? As well as a budget? Games you play? Screen size? etc etc It's usually easier to recommend replacements if you give people something to work with.

Considering your post right now, I can easily suggest replacing everything with bleeding edge hardware and it could be a completely legit post. =P

The next gen cards from AMD are coming out Sept 10th right? If you can I would wait till they are released, you may be able to get more performance than a 4870 with a few more dollars.

Yes, wait for the new cards. If anything, they should lower current prices for current cards. :p

... and pls answer gwai lo's questions. :D

Gaming for sure. I play rts's and i want to try anf run crysis on really high settings. When do the new cards come out?

What is your current specs OP?

If you are on a tiny ass 15" monitor then I would say upgrade the monitor.

Ah whoops. I mis-read as those are the parts you were considering. Heh...

My vote would go for a new GPU but as others say... wait till AMD releases the new cards this week.

Cool i plan on waiting for the amd cards to be released. Was any pricing announced yet?

EDIT:

My ram only scores a 5.4 in the windows experience index rating even though I have 4 gigs. Think that would be worth upgrading as well?

Alrighty :) thanks.

I am going to wait until the AMD video cards come out and check them out then. If I dont want any of them I will go with either the 4870 or GTX 260

Back