Have some Qestion's, I think my Hard Drive is Failing

Gulkor

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Everyone,

So i have problem, I think my Hitachi 1TB GST Deskstar 7K1000 is failing and I dont have a Back up 1TB so i will lose 500gb of data but i will buy a 1TB HDD if need be, but i want a good one "lol"

But should I rma the Hard Drive or should i keep a Eye on it

The reason, for me saying this is, Because i started having freezing with stream and COH and COH2 beta and i did not few ago days.

So i ran HD Tune 2.55 and Used CrystalDiskInfo 5.6.2

Here are the Screenshots I have and hopefully you can help me, i have not had a problem with a Hard Drive before, have had problems with every part in a Gaming PC but a hard drive, sorry for the noobish.

Screenshot of Health

healthhealth_zps061b4f26.png

Screen shot of bad sector/Block and health

sectorhealth_zps167981b7.png

Thanks for your Help
Brian/Gulkor

open a command window. type chkdsk (insert drive here) /r /f

So for example chkdsk d: /r /f

And don't forget to defrag the drive regularly

Dont defrag a failing hard drive, it can aggravate the problem.
Chkdsk is a good idea.

Op, I have a Samsung drive with the same issue.
Its been working fine for another year+ since the error appeared, but there is a bad sector with data on it that doesnt seem to get fixed.
Trying to copy a particular file always results in an error.
I've left that file in place and continued using the drive for music storage.

I dont suspect you are in immediate danger of a bad failure, but you should get another drive to copy all your data off asap.
Bad sectors can grow around the area they start, so if the drive is under warranty, send it back after you have copied your data off.

I recommend completely blanking the drive with a wiping/secure erase tool before sending it back.
Like this free util http://www.dban.org/

i did what you said, but its asking me to dismount and all the data on the drive will be "Invaild" and from my undering to me the term in Invaild" Means No longer Useable, Unless I am miss reading that.

The Command prompt States

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by onother process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first."All Open Handles To this Volume Would Then Be Invalid".

Then it ask would i like to dismount the drive y/n

Also i would like to add that i tried to play coh2 beta and the game froze up and started acting wired like the drive was locking up and it did it on COH as well, so i am starting to think it's 1 going to go soon or i have no clue lol honestly

Sorry i forgot to add this drive was bought in 1/26/2012

Get a new drive and copy your data off.
There is no long term fixing of this problem, the drive needs returning.

For now, select the drive properties (right click the drive)
Select the tools tab, click Check Now, tick both boxes.
It should now say that it is locked and ask you if you want to run Chkdsk at next boot.
Select Yes then reboot.

It may help the problem, it might not do anything useful.
Dont do this if you need to use the computer, it could take a while.

ok, if it dont help, i know i will need a new drive, but i cant lose 500gb of data.

what would be a good replacement 1TB Hard Drive WB Black? or something different?

Even if it helps, you should replace the drive.
The next time data is corrupted, it might not be recoverable.
The error is a warning shot across the bow with a small amount of collateral damage atm.

Buy a new drive, copy data off, send old one back.
Then you'll have a drive for backing up your data.

Its probably a good idea to make a thread asking which is the best drive to buy, or check other similar threads.

Especially an SSD. You can't do the same troubleshooting/defragging that you can with a reg drive.

However, looks like you have a reg drive. Running Checkdisk won't hurt. Outside of that, look into the warranty, and back it up to an external temporarily. More backed up, is less redone.

Back