Have single eVGA 780GTX. Which ones can I use for SLI?

Any other GTX 780 3gb card should work. However, if you use a different model card, the sli bridge connectors may not line up (different height) requiring the use of a flexible sli bridge.

If you don't care about thee esthetics of the cards, any other 780 will do. Me? It's gotta be the same card. I'm funny like that. ;)

You can use any card. For SLI in most chassis', reference blowers are the best choice. If you use open air custom cards, the upper card will in many cases have significant temperature problems which may cause crashes and instability. I'd highly suggest reference, but you can sometimes make custom cards work. You just need an ungodly amount of air flow and a huge case for SLI custom cards. Simply putting custom cards in any case just won't do, and it can cause problems for some people. When you're exhausting 500W TDP of hot air inside the case, make no mistake, that CAN sometimes cause issues - what usually happens is you get creeping temps on the upper card and you'll get to a point after 30 minutes of gaming where your top card is hitting 90C+ temps. Like I said it's just easier to exhaust that outside of the case to prevent any headache (via reference blowers). Something to keep in mind.

Case in point, I used msi lightning 680s a long while back in SLI in a EATX case with plenty of air flow. After 30 minutes of gaming, my upper card was toast. 90C+ temps. I was able to make it work but it required significant headache and removing any sort of overclocks. In retrospect, it was not worth it.

Although I should also note this highly depends on your motherboard. If you have an X79 platform, you have more slot flexibility. With the mainstream Z87/Z97 platforms, you generally ALWAYS have to use the upper two slots for full PCIE speeds. And that is where problems happen. Unless you have an open air test bench, you can almost certainly have long term temp issues with such configurations. So the basic TLDR here is, use reference when possible - unless you're on X79 and then you get more slot flexibility. (X79 has 32 CPU pcie lanes, whereas mainstream has only 16 - mainstream requires the upper two slots for SLI).

Last edited:
Back