Have SDD gotten more reliable in the last couple of years?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80813

I ask because I jumped into SDD drives a few years ago on a couple of systems. I never got a drive to last more than a year. It did not matter the manufacturer, size or use. After going through several SDD I went back to spinning HDD and have not had a problem since.

I say current generation SSDs are significantly more reliable than consumer hard drives although they still have a chance of failure (no data storage method is 100% reliable).

I've owned at least 10+ SSD's over the years and never had a single problem. Then again I stayed away from the questionable brand(s), that may or may not be a factor. Intel (3), Crucial (1), Samsung (6+) have been solid.

I've had about 10 SSD's over the years. I've had one fail on me and it was an Intel X-25M. Intel replaced it with a G2 version under warranty.

I say current generation SSDs are significantly more reliable than consumer hard drives although they still have a chance of failure (no data storage method is 100% reliable).

Agreed 100%.

I still have some original OCZ vertex/agility drives around that run OK.

I ask because I jumped into SDD drives a few years ago on a couple of systems. I never got a drive to last more than a year. It did not matter the manufacturer, size or use. After going through several SDD I went back to spinning HDD and have not had a problem since.

No offense but with the limited information you gave that sounds more like an environment, power or other hardware issue (motherboards?) than anything else. Or you were the most unlucky person at trying newer tech!

my A-Data 128GB SSD still works and the jury is out on my Crucial drive (have not had it long enough) the reigning champ is my WDC Caviar 1TB drive that has been going strong since 2008

I bought a used Crucial M4 128GB about 4 years ago and it has been running 24/7 since I put it in.
I just ran this just now,
crucial-128-256-ssd-life-2-2016.jpg

this next shot is from June of 2015,
crucial-128-256-ssd-life.jpg

Last edited:
I went through 4 patriot torx rma's before giving up and buying a samsung, been great so far.

No offense but with the limited information you gave that sounds more like an environment, power or other hardware issue (motherboards?) than anything else. Or you were the most unlucky person at trying newer tech!

I had 3 drives in 3 machines. One laptop and 2 desktops. I have always treated my gear well. The laptop started with an off brand SSD and when it failed I replaced it with an OCZ. It didnt last any longer than the off brand. Warranty replacement and it too failed in 6 months.
The 2 desktops, one had a Crucial 64GB that lasted close to a year. Replaced it and got about a year out of it. The other desktop had a Samsung that again didnt even make it a year. I replaced it with a spinning HDD. That system and drive are still in use.

I have an SSD in my laptop, it's a Crucial M4 128GB that I bought used in June of 2014 and it still runs great.
The Crucial 512GB in my garage PC is over a year old now and also works great.

OK, I am going to try a SSD again. Samsung seems to be the best bet from what I have seen. 850 PRO or EVO?? This will be in a desktop paired with a data drive.

Pro if you really need the speed, Evo is the better buy IMHO. That or a Crucial MX100 or 200.

AS long as they are current gens they are solid. Avoid a Sammy 840 at all costs. Current ones being solid are solid.

Since you kill SSD I would go PRO for extra warranty.

However, since you've killed EVERY SSD have you considered that it might be your antivirus/malware, or other software running in the background destroying your drives? I guess we should probably discount the off-brand and OCZ you got as not counting though ;) !! LOL

what SSDs were they and what was your using and how much read/ writes did you do?

I am one of the few forum members that bitches about SSDs because i use mix loads, and steady state a lot and having low end SSDs kills me...and them.

I average roughly 300-400GB reads per day and 100-150GB writes per day but thats an average...ussually I'll burn through a TB in a sitting for writes and go days without trashing. At least I assume most my writes come from a bulk use. I find it hard to believe I just use 100-150GB steady every day.

Sammy 840 was terrible for my usage...of course as many of us figured out the hard way when they were first released. Extreme Pro is solid and the 950 PRO has been great!

It helps to think of any SSD from a manufacturer who DOES NOT also make the NAND inside as "off-brand". These days that's all except for Intel, Samsung, Sandisk, Crucial and OCZ (newer Toshiba-based drives). A lot of the off-brands seem to be putting SK Hynix NAND in their recent drives.

He already posted that, if you'd read his entire thread.

oh thanks...I missed that :eek:. I was looking for models when i read but he just posted brands :/

It appears (with the limit details stated) like they are really old ones and small sizes so its understandable if he burned them out considering TRIM is kinda shitty on small drives especially if the small drive has lots of static data the write amplifications and repeat wearing on a single spot can be very hard on them. (Another reason to now buy tiny SSDs)

I think his drives literally (i.e electrically) burned out somewhere inside instead of the NAND wearing out. That outcome was not unexpected for old "off-brand" and classic OCZ. Worn-out NAND should fail read-only on a decent controller.

I think his drives literally (i.e electrically) burned out somewhere inside instead of the NAND wearing out. That outcome was not unexpected for old "off-brand" and classic OCZ. Worn-out NAND should fail read-only on a decent controller.

yea the bad controllers in OCZ are quite notorious :/ but maybe he also had slowing issues too for all we know. Nexus 7 was know for its NAND burn out due to bad wearing. Just throwing out things to consider :D

Non-shit SSDs have been more reliable than their spinning rust counterparts for awhile, especially the trash that certain brands sell to consumers or market as "green". They are also the only sensible choice anymore for mobile systems, just ask any corporate laptop support.

I still have one of these in service. And they supposedly suck :p
Bought in 2011

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was really really happy with what OCZ did for the SSD market and I am appreciative of their community support and the drive to affordable SSDs. That being said I purchased a decent number of them (Vertex, Vertex 2, Agility) and have had problems with every. single. one.

Some drives I thought were straight up dead and wouldn't show up in any of my systems after a year of service, so I gave them to a friend for experimentation and one of them started working for him...for a while anyways.

I'm not picking on OCZ, as I think the tech was still in its infancy, and lets be honest, those were budget drives. I've purchased over a hundred Samsung drives from the Evo 840 and 850 series (about 40 were PRO models) and have not had any issues with them reported from my customers and none I have seen, and they have been in the field for several years now.

I would definitely say that Samsung drives are reliable at this point. I switched over to Intel drives in my recent builds (for 2.5", still using Sammy for M.2) late last summer and so far so good--but that really isn't enough time to tell.

Our drives are using in video production BTW, so lots of large files constantly being written and deleted.

I've had about 10 SSD's over the years. I've had one fail on me and it was an Intel X-25M. Intel replaced it with a G2 version under warranty.

My no-good SSDs have pretty much been OCZs, unless you count the 8GB SSD included on the EEE PCs...

By contrast, have an X25-M 80 GB from 2009 and three X25-M G2 160GBs from '09/early '10 that are purring along just fine to date, across multiple machines and varying workloads over the years. After my OCZ experience, used to be an Intel devotee until Samsung started shining with the 830 series.

Sad that Intel has virtually pulled out of the consumer SATA SSD market. But glad that they raised the standards for all between the 320-730 series by selling them at reasonable prices.

I was really really happy with what OCZ did for the SSD market and I am appreciative of their community support and the drive to affordable SSDs. That being said I purchased a decent number of them (Vertex, Vertex 2, Agility) and have had problems with every. single. one.

Some drives I thought were straight up dead and wouldn't show up in any of my systems after a year of service, so I gave them to a friend for experimentation and one of them started working for him...for a while anyways.

I'm not picking on OCZ, as I think the tech was still in its infancy, and lets be honest, those were budget drives. I've purchased over a hundred Samsung drives from the Evo 840 and 850 series (about 40 were PRO models) and have not had any issues with them reported from my customers and none I have seen, and they have been in the field for several years now.

I would definitely say that Samsung drives are reliable at this point. I switched over to Intel drives in my recent builds (for 2.5", still using Sammy for M.2) late last summer and so far so good--but that really isn't enough time to tell.

Our drives are using in video production BTW, so lots of large files constantly being written and deleted.

Zooterkins, there is no debate that they were not a crucial player into making SSDs common place and affordable. They were decent SSDs are various times but i think the main issue was a select era of Sandforce controllers. I forget the exact period but sards, sandforce went was really good to the damn black plague.

I've had:

X25-M 80
840 Pro 256
840 Evo 256 & 512GB
Crucial M500 960
950 Pro 512

Zero failures with the exception of the 256GB 840 Evo. It died after about a year and was barely used. Still was under warranty so Samsung replaced it.

I'm surprised my X25M is still trucking along, that thing has gone through a lot of writes for an 80GB

still trucking along after almost six years, zero issues.

Db99LlT.jpg

how much written to it? I tried that program on my Extreme Pro and it didn't recognize it. I have like 45TB written to mine in like a year according to smart lawls.

how much written to it? I tried that program on my Extreme Pro and it didn't recognize it. I have like 45TB written to mine in like a year according to smart lawls.

Yeah, that seems to be a n00b-friendly program. Plus it mixes throughput with total reads/writes in the error message. SMART should have the details. Although from the "Health" it looked like the SSD's MWI indicator has already ticked down from 100....

i can only estimate, but it's something along the lines of 5 to 10 TB per year.

Back