Have one 8TB drive would like to build a raided setup

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a 8TB drive I use Macrium Reflect to backup to this drive via a high speed USB 3.1 connection. Looking for options how to RAID this current setup keeping data intact. The Synology seems like its a reliable and good bang for the buck but will it do what I want?? Obviously this being a backup device I'm trying to keep it safe going forward thus the urge to move to RAID, etc. ZFS seems cool too but... School me on options please!!

Sure, raid gives you redundancy, but now you move your backups to a single Device, if the Synology takes a crap there goes everything...

Unless you did another drive connected to the Synology / QNAP / "insert storage server device here" and then rotate or disconnect it weekly or something to keep it safe..

What is the end goal here, safe for long term?

No just "safer" RAID storage instead of my current one drive. I didn't realize they made RAID thunderbolt/USB 3.1 enclosures as well which breaks the 1gbit LAN speed issues that I have seen. Currently I backup all my workstation drives to it and some random data here and there.

Didn't realize these existed!! Maybe one of these in a Truenas setup!??

PE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Server with one Intel Xeon E-2224 Processor, 16 GB Memory, and 4 Large Form Factor (LFF) Non-hot Plug Drive Bays​

Back