Have one 8TB drive would like to build a raided setup

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a 8TB drive I use Macrium Reflect to backup to this drive via a high speed USB 3.1 connection. Looking for options how to RAID this current setup keeping data intact. The Synology seems like its a reliable and good bang for the buck but will it do what I want?? Obviously this being a backup device I'm trying to keep it safe going forward thus the urge to move to RAID, etc. ZFS seems cool too but... School me on options please!!

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Sure, raid gives you redundancy, but now you move your backups to a single Device, if the Synology takes a crap there goes everything...

Unless you did another drive connected to the Synology / QNAP / "insert storage server device here" and then rotate or disconnect it weekly or something to keep it safe..

What is the end goal here, safe for long term?

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
No just "safer" RAID storage instead of my current one drive. I didn't realize they made RAID thunderbolt/USB 3.1 enclosures as well which breaks the 1gbit LAN speed issues that I have seen. Currently I backup all my workstation drives to it and some random data here and there.

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
Didn't realize these existed!! Maybe one of these in a Truenas setup!??

PE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Server with one Intel Xeon E-2224 Processor, 16 GB Memory, and 4 Large Form Factor (LFF) Non-hot Plug Drive Bays​