Have old machine. Want to image it, and transfer to new machine. Possible?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I have an older machine that is set up correctly. I want to image that old machine, and image it to the new machine. But is there a trick to doing that since the machine is a whole different model?

Clone it with clonezilla to a new disk (or one that you do not care about overwriting all the data) and then boot. In linux you have a very high chance of success. In windows the chance is lower but since windows XP even that is high enough to try. For windows you probably want to put your SATA ports in IDE emulation mode otherwise you are likely to get a blue screen on boot due to the OS not using the AHCI driver by default.

If it's windows XP, and you can attach the new drive to the old computer, clone it on the old computer, boot the old computer with the new drive, run sysprep, remove new drive from old computer and install it into new computer and boot it up.

If ahci is not enabled on the old machine, or it doesn't have it, you will probably have to turn off ahci on the new machine otherwise it may just blue screen and keep rebooting.

The above is the process I used when upgrading my pc when I was using windows xp.
Windows 7 on the other hand has boot up with no issues on completely different hardware the dozen or so times I have tried it.
But ahci has to be disabled on the new machine if ahci was off or not available on the old one.

If it's windows XP, and you can attach the new drive to the old computer, clone it on the old computer, boot the old computer with the new drive, run sysprep, remove new drive from old computer and install it into new computer and boot it up.

If ahci is not enabled on the old machine, or it doesn't have it, you will probably have to turn off ahci on the new machine otherwise it may just blue screen and keep rebooting.

The above is the process I used when upgrading my pc when I was using windows xp.
Windows 7 on the other hand has boot up with no issues on completely different hardware the dozen or so times I have tried it.
But ahci has to be disabled on the new machine if ahci was off or not available on the old one.

It is win 7. Ill just image it and see how Windows 7 handles it.

I am sure Intel released a tool can image whole system, the tool is related to the Intel SSD toolbox. Damn I can't remember the name.

Back