have nVidia killed AGP?

MD

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I think they have done it. With 7800GTX beeing PCI-e only (atleast at thismoment) I think they wanted to push further their SLi and nForce 4 chipset.

I gues Crossfire Ati solution was small suprise for them but who cares PCI-e lives with it's two slots.

I find it pretty biatchy that just fe months ago You could have strongest single slot card in AGP format and now You have no choice left.

Don't get me worng PCI-e is better bus. Sli is great thing but waht about people that doo not want that? Iwouldn't mid getting new card but I doo mind getting new mobo or new Shuttle or any other parts just cause thye doo not have AGP option of a fastest card on a market.

Well atleast that's my 2 cents.

BTW I'll find workarround what about people that can't?
It feels like nVidia left some people bit dry.

MD

nVida cannot deny it. Otherwise I will my miss the neurotic response in most threads of "it isn't AGP". :D

-tReP

Name a chipset manufacturer that has released a new AGP chipset. It's not just nvidia, the whole market is shifting to PCI-E.

Anyways, the availablility of AGP G7x cards is up to the card manufacturers. nvidia already provides a bridge chip. I'm positive that the "7600" and "7200" cards (G73/G74) will be available in AGP, and IMO there's a good chance that the G71 will also appear in AGP.

The transition to PCIe has to happen eventally. Now is the best time with the new generation of cards. Stop whining, you knew it would happen. Just as PCI was replaced by AGP, PCIe has now replaced AGP.

Well between AGP and PCI-e versions of a 6x00xx generations where almost no difference. You have to prove me that AGP version of 7800GTX would be slower then few procent to be able to justify PCI-e model only policy.

They could of have done it with 6 series to.

AGP and PCI-e share many common features (so does a old PCI though) so any chipset that handles PCI-e cna handle AGP it is just mether of wich way they choose.

Intel has doen it with PIV Chipsets to have no disadvantage to A64 platform.

Ati did it cause they can't be without answer to SLi.

Via did it is going to doo ti cause if they doo not they will loose market to nVidia.

Nvidia want's to keep their market position that thye have tooken from 3DFx and then lost to Ati and then took it again with 6800 series and now with 7800GTX cards. Plus if We have slower chip we can use two and still be stronger.

That's how I see it.

I prey to new technology and I see that someday PCI-e will be faster but is it now cause it is faster or because nVidia politics? Well I think pure politics. But that's just my 2 cents.

I wan't to see Your opinion and have no wish to wine here. My age doesn't realy allouw me to doot it. But I can be pissed off though that right I have still.

That's how I see it nVidia did it to inshure their market position in GPU and chipset market.

Simular, not same but simular move as Inte have done going to PII design and propriatary Slot1 and after it to socket 370 and then to socket 478 (and waht was first PIV 470?) and socket 775. Move made just bit smarter cause PCI-e is open platfor and other can use it.
Simular to DDR2 move from Intell. AMD couldn't doo it at that moment and DDR wasn't outpreforming DDR still they use it. RAMBUS anyone?

Remmeber AMD have had no choice as to go their own socket/slot solution. Before it they have used same Pentium 1 socket.
Remmember IBM and their MicroChanell? It shot back in their face. If they have done it differently maybe We would all nave now genuine IBM PC's :)

All I'm saying I hate to be pushed in a direction without gaining from that direction imidietly when I change direction. That exludes gain cause they decided best card will be PCI-e only and to have gain change to PCI-e.

MD

it makes perfect sense if you think about it. nvidia isnt making 7800 gtx cards on agp because its a way to sell more pci-e boards. they (correctly) assumed that someone who is willing to spend ~$500 on a top of the line video card is willing to spend $150 on a motherboard. im sure that they are also hoping that people will buy SLI capable boards and that slightly increases the chance of selling another ~$500 card. works out really well for nvidia, cant blame them for going pci-e only.

or could it jsut be that PCI-e is jsut a overall better soultion?

really, a new standard has been set, upgrade or get left in the dust....

I didnt seen many people looking back on PCI once AGP was around....

MD said:
AGP and PCI-e share many common features (so does a old PCI though) so any chipset that handles PCI-e cna handle AGP it is just mether of wich way they choose.
Not really. The chipsets are very much different. AGP and PCI are parallel busses, offshoots from ISA with buffering added, at higher speeds and 32-bit data width. PCI-E is a multi-lane serial bus, using differential pairs for data transfer like USB and SATA.

Feature-wise, ignoring bi-directional bandwidth differences, AGP and PCI-E aren't very different to a video card. But the bandwidth differences open up a huge new class of devices vs PCI and AGP.

I doo remmember AGP most probobly better then many people on this Forum.

When TNT came out it was stronger then my 3x PCI cards solution. (Matrox plus Voodoo II Sli) so it was wiorth going to AGP. Also Chipsets where two times better and faster. CPUs have had higher FSB etc. etc.

What does exept of a Sli has nForce 4 over a nForce 3 that it's a great feature?

Well I own 5 Pc's and Laptop.
I game on 6800GT in Shuttle XPC SN95G5. I gues I can live in that dust for a while if I have to.
Alos I've sad it's no problem for a enthusiast to step over. What about somone who deosn't know and was advized to get nForce 3 and now He can nto upgrade although He would like?

It's about how We are pushed on giving that 150 $ for new mainboard. Well is it only 150$. For intel People it's DDR2. For SFF people it's a whole barebone that costs another 400$

It's about kind ofa sneekyness about it.

I belive if Ati makes 520 or what ever is going to be new GPU/VPU avaible for AGP it will be magnet even for die hard nVidia fans. Simpel they can leave their PC and just upgrade grafic card. Specialy if it's going to be good preformer and have good prise.

Let's see which interface will be oon 7200, 7600 and 7800GT.

MD

I(illa Bee said:
I didnt seen many people looking back on PCI once AGP was around....

But the performance increase from PCI to AGP was much larger than AGP to PCI-E is. With smaller video buffers texture swapping was more common then.

what nvidia did was brave and smart! it's pci-E from now on people!!! live with it! heheh

Back