Have I been a victim of Ebay Fraud (Pics within)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DruSi3r

Gawd
Ok so I upgraded my phone and wanted to sell my old phone on Ebay. Its a T68i and looks to be selling for about $60-76 used and around $100 new. I posted my auction and within one day I got these emails (ill post in text so as to save bandwidth:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]"Hi, im USA citizen i'm interested in your item i will like you to render some help to me i had a store in africa Nigeria. i had a new costomers and they want to get my items ASAP, they have already paid and this time i dont have the item now, pls that is why i want to buy your item and send it down to them in Nigeria. I will like to send my payment thru Money Order/BIDPAY ok, immediately after the approval confirmation thru BIDPAY. I will direct my UPS Account for the shipment down to NIGERIA. And also the label to be paste on the pack i had already get 2 items i need 1 now ok? i await your reply ASAP"

I responded:
[/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Please select the buy it now option. I will accept money order/or bid pay because of your situation. Then I will ship to your Nigeria address, or to you in the USA. (thinking sure go ahead and pay it BS)

He responded:
[/size][/font] hello,
i will do that so that i can get the item , but i will send the money thro money order(bidpay) ok today and i wills end the label uare going to attach to the phone to u today , so that as soon as u see the corfarmation from western union i will the item to be ship out ok. thanks

I then got this email from "bidpay"

<EDIT: image removed at request of thread starter>

Ok now let me ask u a few questions:
why is he so willing to buy this phone?
why is he willing to pay more than what a new one cost from a dealer?
why is he paying $20 more than the buy it now price?
why cant bidpay spell their name right on their email? I dont think its spelled [email protected]
why doesnt westen union have a bidpay domain?
why do the picture in the email take me here: http://www.4at2.com/email_domains/wen/0001/images/email_comp_buyer_02.gif and hot to westernunion?
why do their emails look like a five year old girl made them?
why is his store name on the ship to label?
why was his ebay account created 7 days ago?
why do he have no history yet claim to run a store?
why does his ebay account claim your located in singapore?
why does he have so damn many email addresses?
who the hell is nelly banky?
he has sent atleast six emails asking me to hurry and if they have shipped.

What do you guys think?
I say I pwned some nigerian terrorist with my own form of [H]ard homeland defense.

Sorry BBS (or whomever) I know this is not hardware related but I thought it was important enough to share.

Yeah, never trust anybody who doesn't want to play by the rules. I have heard of WAY too many people trying to get scammed this way.. especially when they mention another country.

Just say no.. and you will sell it to someone else no doubt.

Chix4mat said:
Yeah, never trust anybody who doesn't want to play by the rules. I have heard of WAY too many people trying to get scammed this way.. especially when they mention another country.

Just say no.. and you will sell it to someone else no doubt.

yea, this reminds me of some old Nigerian chain-email scam asking for help w/ Children or something...maybe Nigeria is a popular scam bait. i'd say stay away.

Always put in your post ONLY CONTINENTAL 48 STATES. It is too much of a hassle just to ship something across a boarder.

DO NOT DO THIS. I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY AND 3 MONTHS LATER FOUND OUT THE PERSON PAID WITH A FRAUDULENT CREDIT CARD. Paypal refused to give me seller protection and I'm out $450 and no product. I fucking hate ebay now. I have been scammed out of more than 1k and its not because I am a stupid seller/buyer. When a transaction goes through and is approved and everything is A-OK, you think OK, this is good. 3 months later not so much.

Oh yea, just so you know, there are new scams out where people send out FAKE "you have money" emails. They are FAKE. Before you do ANYTHING I would call Western Union and check if anything. Get a money order if it is there and cash it ASAP.

Look at the misspellings, the funky return email address, and the poor layout. This email totally looks fake.

well cruz as soon as I see payment in my paypal I transfer the funds then ship the item. Are you still at risk this way? And guys the only reason I thought about shipping internationally is because he was paying about a $100 premium. Too good to be true. I do still have his shipping label to nigeria (i checked the tracking number), what do you guys think I should send him instead?

Oh and btw Im really disappointed with BidPay and will never use their service. They have no telephone number. I sent them two emails yesterday (through their site) and never got a response. I sent one email to their customer service address and got a response back in 30 mins saying they couldnt help me lol

I've never used bidpay, but whats with that email address.. [email protected], shouldn't that be from [email protected] or something a little more official? Also, multiple email accounts looks shady. Also, Nigeria is renouned on the internet for being a scamer harboring place. I only sell to people in the U.S. and Canada, I'd never send overseas.

Two red flags

1.) Too good to be true
2.) Nigeria

1.) If its too good to be true, it is not
2.) Anything that even remotely has anything to do with Nigeria is a scam. There must be no extradition treaty? Every ahole scam artist on the planet is in Nigeria roflmao

lol - I'm with the anti nigerian thing... even thought I don't buy / sell from ebay yet, i will only conduct business with people within the 48 states and who look at least half professional in thier grammer / spelling / punct......

DruSi3r said:
well cruz as soon as I see payment in my paypal I transfer the funds then ship the item. Are you still at risk this way? And guys the only reason I thought about shipping internationally is because he was paying about a $100 premium. Too good to be true. I do still have his shipping label to nigeria (i checked the tracking number), what do you guys think I should send him instead?

Oh and btw Im really disappointed with BidPay and will never use their service. They have no telephone number. I sent them two emails yesterday (through their site) and never got a response. I sent one email to their customer service address and got a response back in 30 mins saying they couldnt help me lol

DO NOT SHIP IT PERIOD. I had the funds in my PayPal account, it cleared into my bank account, and there was no problem. Then last week I log into my PayPal account and find a -450 balance. WTF AHHH. So I call PayPal up and learn that the person used a fraudulent credit card to make the transaction and that money was retrieved from my account to pay for it. WTF that shouldn't be the case, they should at least INFORM me. They say they sent me 3 emails, I never received even ONE. God I'm pissed right now.
BTW, my transaction was for a buyer who wanted me to send it to his son as a birthday present. Made sense to me and transaction went fine. But the son lived in the Ukraine...BELL #1 shoulda gone off but I wasn't lucky :( Also when you ship something internationally you have NO WAY to track it unless you ship it via air which costs in the multiple hundreds to do. So I also have no way to prove that something was ever shipped. How convenient :mad:

Yeah that email looks ridiculous. They copied a few banners from the website and inserted them. That's terrible looking.

why is he so willing to buy this phone?
why is he willing to pay more than what a new one cost from a dealer?
why is he paying $20 more than the buy it now price?
why cant bidpay spell their name right on their email? I dont think its spelled [email protected]
why doesnt westen union have a bidpay domain?
why do the picture in the email take me here: http://www.4at2.com/email_domains/w...mp_buyer_02.gif and hot to westernunion?
why do their emails look like a five year old girl made them?
why is his store name on the ship to label?
why was his ebay account created 7 days ago?
why do he have no history yet claim to run a store?
why does his ebay account claim your located in singapore?
why does he have so damn many email addresses?
who the hell is nelly banky?
he has sent atleast six emails asking me to hurry and if they have shipped.

Uh, the simple fact that you actually have to ask all these questions would dictate that you not touch this with a ten foot pole. You'd be insane to send anything to this guy, ever. I could reiterate on all of the points touched here, but everyone is right. The red flags are up, dont be a sucker.

Yeah man, I wouldnt play his game. I've heard of too many scams coming from Nigeria, so I wouldnt touch this one. You're gonna get burned.

That's the stupidest fucking scammer I've ever seen.

if you already paid for the shipping, then send him something... i don't know what... ever see the south park where the boys give their parents herpes? maybe something like that.. a dead phone with herpes all over it.. i doubt that could work...

i heard that all the scams go from nagiria coz they got f*cked up law about everything and nobody can do anything to stop them, so i think send him an email saying "have a nice day mister, but i am not doing business w/ scammers. thank you"

DruSi3r said:
Sorry BBS (or whomever) I know this is not hardware related...

It's one thing if you don't know any better, but deliberately posting when you know it doesn't belong is a good way to tick off the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back