Have crappy loser 1700X, options for a change?

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 2700k when it comes out, with a new board, and hope that it works with my memory. I'll offer up my current 1700X and Prime X370-Pro for $300 when that comes out in a month.

If it passes the kill-ryzen test I may be interested. Although at the same time I may just get ryzen+ when it comes out.

If it passes the kill-ryzen test I may be interested. Although at the same time I may just get ryzen+ when it comes out.

It's passed every other test I've run on it, but I haven't been able to get that test to run, because I don't have Linux installed on it. (Generally, I hate Linux, but I have to deal with it some due to my job. So, I have VMs running it. I keep it off my main machine.) I'll look into running Linux off a USB drive to try to test that in the next couple days. I'm in the middle of an office move, and will likely have to work late tonight and again tomorrow. I'll see about it when I get some time.

It's important to me because I want to use this machine as a linux based PVR + server. I absolutely need 100% stability with over 99% uptime (like the 10+ year old box it replaces) I plan to use ECC ram for this.

Reading the OP in this thread, my first thought was "make sure it's not the motherboard."

As others have suggested, I'd try upgrading the motherboard BIOS and failing that, try his buddy's motherboard (that the G.Skill memory he tried lives on). If the CPU really doesn't even perform up to its factory spec, that says to me that something else is wrong.

Also, the fact that the memory runs slow says to me that the problem may be more an issue of the motherboard reporting clock speeds inaccurately, which I seem to recall was an issue at some point right after the Ryzen CPU's went on sale.

I'd either get the 1600X or go back to your 5930k in your shoes.

I've noticed my X370 Prime Pro isn't anywhere near as good with memory compatibility as my B350-F Strix board. Even with G.Skill Flare X 3200 memory, I'm constantly fighting it to get decent speeds.

I have had the exact opposite experience, the X370 Pro seems to have the best memory compatibility for me. I would say it is time to get that CPU replaced.

Just as I decided to hold off for the 2700X, I got an offer from a guy at work. He's upgrading from an 8700K to a 7900X because he needed more cores for something on his side job, and offered me his old MB, a Maximus X Hero, and processor, less than 9 months old, for $450. Hell of a deal. How can I resist that? I'm not too thrilled to go back to Intel, but since this is used, it doesn't go into their pockets, I suppose. Since it is pre-tested, I know it doesn't have the odd issues I'd had with my last several boards. Bad luck for 6 years, and now, finally, some good luck, I think.

AMD has been demanding quite a bit of information before authorizing the RMA so by looking at the thread he can see what information they’re looking for.

I don’t have an account there but I do read threads from time to time though I haven’t been visiting as much with their new forum.

5k posts and you don't think he knows how to RMA? Setup.

I haven't tried AMD yet, but trying to RMA something through Asus is a maze and a stressful pain. An RMA is not always the answer.

AMD has been demanding quite a bit of information before authorizing the RMA so by looking at the thread he can see what information they’re looking for.

I don’t have an account there but I do read threads from time to time though I haven’t been visiting as much with their new forum.

i have an account there but i refuse to go back.

i haven't heard back from AMD rma service but it's the weekend so i didn't expect to

I haven't tried it in another board because I don't want to inconvenience my friends too much. I was uncomfortable enough asking for help with the memory, and that's an easy component to swap. Swapping a CPU requires detaching the cooler and cleaning up the TIM, and then replacing the TIM when putting it back in. That's just too much to ask friends to do, IMO.

I just felt this worth pointing out...
I don't know how old you are, but sounds like you're at, or near to, 30. If so, then I can only say that if you feel that way about people due to having bad luck with friends in life, too... Well, all I can say is that real friends are people you can rely on for help, no matter the level you need. I have a friend, known him for ~15 years, never met him before! He's completely an online friend, but I consider him my best friend. He lives in Canada, I live in Tennessee (Minnesota, prior to that) and back when I moved herein 2009, my PSU went out (it was, itself, a decade old Corsair 430W, middle-grade for its time), which took out two motherboards and a CPU before I determined what happened... I've learned a lot since then lol Point is, after finding out what was wrong and likely happened, I wanted to determine if my beloved Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and A64 3200+ were dead or not, so I sent them to him just to test them. He did so, and while the X2 was toast, the single-core survived (likely because the X2 was in both boards first, so the boards were already dead). That means he had to take out his CPU, put it one of mine, with compound, and the heatsink, then take it back out, put in my other A64, put it together again, and finally pull it out and put his back in. :p

That's only on example. Another, is when he was gathering a bunch of vintage 486 hardware for a build (this was around 2010). He had at least two motherboards, a power supply I think, one or two 5-1/4in Floppy drives, in addition to a couple newer items from the 3Dfx era. Took a few weeks to accumulate it all, to begin with, and then I had to get it all together, packed up nicely, and shipped internationally to him. Shipping to Canada is expensive, so consolidating it into one larger package was far more cost effective; however, to further highlight our friendship, I was more than happy to ship it out of my own pocket so that he knew exactly how much to send (I asked for nothing additional, nor did I receive it, nor did I care lol).

I could honestly go on and on about things we've done for each other over this vast distance, but my point is this: If the guys/gals who have loaned you their RAM are people you consider to be your friend, and you theirs in return, I suspect they'd not be bothered to test your chip for you. If I was them, I'd say sure, but be sure to bring over your RAM and motherboard as well (realistically, I'd just say bring the whole system), because if I'm pulling my chip out, then I might as well chuck it in your board with my RAM to see if it'll do what I know it can in MY board! Similarly, I might as well test your RAM in my system first and see if it'll pull off its advertised speed/timings. We'd make an afternoon/evening out of it, trying to see what's what, get to the bottom of it. Frankly, if I'm honest here, if you had just a 1700 non-X, and it did fine in my system, clocking to at least what I have mine running at and offering me the same performance, where my 1700X worked good in your rig as it is supposed to with the RAM running as you want it... I'd trade you chips! I mean, it'd be a win-win, and you wouldn't have to deal with an RMA process... which are a true pain in the ass!

-

On a semi-related note, I've always been a fan of Gigabyte, but went with MSI this time because I liked what they were offering. But as a testament to Gigabyte's service... I had thought my GA-A75-UD4H board had become faulty, because it wasn't wanting to work with my A8-3870K, but it did with my A8-3850 still. I contacted their support, said I can send it it for RMA, but I asked if it'd be alright if I sent in my A8-3870K as well for them to see if that chip was damaged. They said sure, and did in fact test it for me! Turned out that the APU was dead, and my board was just fine. I thought that was quite stand up of them, and made me confident in my choice of Gigabyte over the years. Only reason I didn't this time was partially the features the Titanium offered, and how some things were laid out on the board, but admittedly mainly because I loved the color of the Titanium :shame: With the exception of no BClk ability, I've been otherwise completely satisfied with my purchase, thankfully! ASUS has far better BIOSes though, and I don't think you've commented regarding other's suggestions, but if you haven't updated the BIOS then I, too, suggest doing so. Could solve all your issues. However, you may also need to roll it back to an older version, as a number of people have found one version just worked better for their memory.

I'm 46, and I have never had a friend I could rely on at that level. I had a couple that I could rely on to help me move from time to time, but lost one to an accident at work back in 2000, and the other moved across the country. The friends I have today are ones who don't avoid my company and could do some minor favors for me, like bringing over memory to help me test something, but not much beyond that.

I have bad luck. Many have seen it. My friends from high school, saying that I complained about my luck too often while we were in high school, saw my luck directly when we went to college, and drifted away from me because of it. They know I'm not lying about it, and I think they're scared of me because of it.

As far as the subject of Gigabyte goes, I've had 4 of their boards, and had issues with all 4. The most recent was the X79 board noted in this thread, and it had bios compatibility issues from the beginning (I had to unplug my Belkin Nostromo every time I rebooted or it wouldn't boot) and then had the power issues with the USB ports and the network and audio about 4 months in, until it finally died at about 8 months old. I swore after that I would not buy a Gigabyte board again, not after 4 straight failures. It may just be my bad luck, really, but I'd rather not take that chance anymore.

Well, I finally got around to testing my day one 1700x for the segfault issue and sure enough, it has it. I then placed an rma request on AMD's site yesterday and we will see what happens.

Well damn man, that's a sincere bummer to hear :\ If you didn't live in Colorado I'd say bring that stuff over! As you said though, at least your luck leaves your work-life alone :) I'd feel the same way with Gigabyte in your shoes, so I can't blame ya.

However, while I'll understand any reluctance or declining of this, since you do have another rig to use now... IF you want to send the CPU and RAM to me to test, I'd be more than happy to throw it in my Titanium to see if it's either of them to blame. My chip does 3200 just fine. I've managed 3333 with little problems, and even 3466 very briefly (as in, just made it into Windows before it faceplants and won't boot again at that speed). While I know that still wouldn't consider a major factor of your motherboard, it'd at least determine that your CPU and RAM are willing to function together (and would determine your boost clocks). Narrowing the field down is always a big help when diagnosing gremlins, as you undoubtedly know :p

Regardless, the offer is there, doesn't expire, and you can ask Topweasle if I'm reliable, or at least trustworthy lol I had asked a few people on [H] if they'd be willing to go to their Microcenter to get me this Titanium, and Top was willing. He bought it, mailed it, and then sent me the total price, which I paid him. (That also goes to show he's a great guy, too!) So if I was wanting to take advantage of anyone, that'd have been a golden opportunity, but I'm not. I just like to help people when I can, for reasons like that, be it karma or simply paying it forward!

OK, had the 8700k for a week now, and I have NO PROBLEMS with it! It's amazing to finally have a motherboard that is not giving me a problem for the first time in 8 years. It was an easy install, and everything has functioned 100% since. I'm even able to overclock it to 5.0GHz at only 1.25V (with a AVX offset of -3). Memory runs at its rated 3200. Life is finally good, as far as my system goes.

Well, I finally got around to testing my day one 1700x for the segfault issue and sure enough, it has it. I then placed an rma request on AMD's site yesterday and we will see what happens.

Uuuh, how do I do this?

Uuuh, how do I do this?

install ubuntu

i used a spare ssd.

then get the files off github.

then watch this video.

do exactly as he does.

mine failed in less than a minute.

my RMA should be there today i read on reddit that a guy from canada was sent his from ATi in markham i hope mine is.

Rare, old and fixed last summer. Did i mention confined to Linux?

similar so the skylake hyper-threading bug in some respects.

Hey, he is getting a new chip.. Can't go wrong there. I've got a fair clocker so - I'm going to stick it out.

i think AMD put a new limit on voltage on it though.

for some reason my Asus Prime Pro board had it at 1.5 volts @4ghz but when i ran cpuz or cinebench it was hard locked to 2.2 ghz @ 1.1 or something volts.

took me a little to find out why that was happening.

lowered the voltage to 1.38 and set it to 4ghz and it was fine.

weird.

I've had an issue with Asus boards in the past in which I had to use CPU-Z to read the times for a particular memory MHz setting, then manually input them in the BIOS along with the desired frequency for it to work stable.

Thus, when I stumble upon those issues, my first step is assuming AUTO setting is screwed in the BIOS and just go old school on all of it.

Back