Have any of you played the original Far Cry lately???

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Holy shit is it hard. I had read that apparently a patch was released for it that made enemies see through all kinds of cover, but I have the GOG version and not sure if any other version of the game has that problem.

In any case I have been playing the original Far Cry again after not playing it for many years and holy crap is it hard... like I have it on Medium and it's kicking my ass. The enemies are way too precise shooters from far away, and it seems as though the enemies are exactly evenly matched to the player... so same weapon damage and same health and everything. I have started enjoying it more, but there have been a handful of parts lately that have caused me serious frustration.

Also I just have to comment how insanely entertaining the cheesy voice-acting is. It's absolutely hilarious and entertaining. If you haven't played it in a while I highly suggesting giving it another go-around... it's some real fun. I also highly highly suggest installing the widescreen fix for it since it's sorely needed and also improves the FOV which is too "zoomed in" by default.

One thing that you can't fix unfortunately is the texture pop-in. You could be walking around and right in front of you looks like a bush from Minecraft. There was a mod called "Far Cry 2010" that was supposed to be released but looks like it's been abandoned long ago... https://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-2010.

Check out the two short videos I made below that show the texture pop-in...

In any case the game is still fun, and I was going to necro a old FarCry thread but I honestly could not find a decent "Far Cry discussion" thread so just posted a new one.

Last edited:
I haven't played it recently, but I do remember having to use a lot of console commands and ini tweaking to get it working optimally. If I remember corrently geometry instancing isn't enabled by default, and there were some other issues.

What you see is geometry pop-in, ie the game replaces 2d sprites with the actual 3d model at a certain range, if you enable geometry instancing this pop in disappears as all vegetation will have 3d geometry all the time. I remember it was a game changer when I first enabled it in the game, and even trees that were miles away looked better.

Yep, lol. Fired it up again a few months ago. Can confirm it's difficult! Still looks nice, though. The game was so gorgeous when it came out.

20190331140947_1.jpg

Haven't touched it in many years, but I remember the game being pretty tough back in the day. Especially once you make it to the later areas with the rocket-launcher packing trigen hybrids. I don't think I ever cleared the last level without cheating.

The game is ridiculously hard. It's why I remember never finishing it as I think it just became unfun approaching the end.
Holy shit is it hard. I had read that apparently a patch was released for it that made enemies see through all kinds of cover, but I have the GOG version and not sure if any other version of the game has that problem.

In any case I have been playing the original Far Cry again after not playing it for many years and holy crap is it hard... like I have it on Medium and it's kicking my ass. The enemies are way too precise shooters from far away, and it seems as though the enemies are exactly evenly matched to the player... so same weapon damage and same health and everything. I have started enjoying it more, but there have been a handful of parts lately that have caused me serious frustration.

Also I just have to comment how insanely entertaining the cheesy voice-acting is. It's absolutely hilarious and entertaining. If you haven't played it in a while I highly suggesting giving it another go-around... it's some real fun. I also highly highly suggest installing the widescreen fix for it since it's sorely needed and also improves the FOV which is too "zoomed in" by default.

One thing that you can't fix unfortunately is the texture pop-in. You could be walking around and right in front of you looks like a bush from Minecraft. There was a mod called "Far Cry 2010" that was supposed to be released but looks like it's been abandoned long ago... https://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-2010.

Check out the two short videos I made below that show the texture pop-in...

In any case the game is still fun, and I was going to necro a old FarCry thread but I honestly could not find a decent "Far Cry discussion" thread so just posted a new one.

If you apply the AMD64 patch it will roll the game back to an earlier version and upgrade your game to the 64-bit version which runs slightly better on modern hardware. Applying the patch will fix the enemy AI using wallhacks. The issue is that the last patch released for the game was only for multiplayer fixes and changes, and it completely fucked up the single player game. I have no idea why Crytek never fixed it. The newer patches also remove the cheats from the LUA scripts, but you can easily add them back in to get god mode and the like since they're not encrypted or in binary.

Yeah, game was alot of fun. I remember Kyle being super stoked about the game, because it added SM 3.0 WAY back in the day. It was a cool article, and many other games just weren't doing it. As far as gameplay goes, yeah, it was always kinda like that. The mercs would just peg your ass, regardless. I think it really started getting hard when rocket firing tri-gens started to show up. Those things were brutal AF.

I played it through a couple of times a long while back with the AMD64 patch. Definitely was a favorite for a span.

Last year I fired up Farcry again and yeah it was tougher than I remember it but really fun. One of those games you can go back to years later and really enjoy it.

Back