Have an xbox 360 and an HDTV. Any reason to get a progressive scan DVD player?

lopoetve said:
so there are no quality differences?

Not as far as I can tell, the Xbox360 will play every DVD in 480P like a progressive scan DVD player would, as long as you have the HD component cables. Throw in an optical cable and you've got Dolby Digital too.

mETRo said:
No, the X360 is already a progressive scan DVD player out of the box.

So no need to buy some lame dvd remote or dongle or whatever the hell it was that you needed for the original xbox?

Good to know.

rfwinters77 said:
So no need to buy some lame dvd remote or dongle or whatever the hell it was that you needed for the original xbox?

Good to know.

Absolutely correct, the controller does it all and nothing more to buy unless you just want a remote, then by all means you can buy one :)

I can think of a few. I've got a Toshiba that I've coverted to Region-Free so I can play my purchased European DVD's and Japanese Imports. My second player has Clearplay so I can watch whatever movie I want toned down. Not only that, but I can play VCD's (I have a few) without having to go through the hassle that Windows MCE presents.

If none of the above appeals to you, then having a PS2, XBox or XBox 360 will be just plenty to watch progressive DVDs.

mETRo said:
Not as far as I can tell, the Xbox360 will play every DVD in 480P like a progressive scan DVD player would, as long as you have the HD component cables. Throw in an optical cable and you've got Dolby Digital too.

what about DTS, also through optical?

mETRo said:

Where do I get the optical cable for the 360? I wanna hook it up to my surround sound.

360, xbox w/aftermarket component cables, ps2 w/aftermarket component cables = no need for DVD player.

I would wait til Hollywood embraces either BlueRay or HD-DVD to buy another player. Who knows when that is though. :rolleyes:

Get an upconversion DVD player, like this one. Thats what I am useing. Oddly enough my JVC converts 1080I back down to 720P. So 720P looks the best, and yes I can tell the diference. Just having the digital audio thru HDMI made a diference.

The DVD player in the Xbox 360 works pretty well and it is out of the box. You can control it fine with the gamepad. There is no reason to buy a DVD player unless you need the DVD upscaled. The X2 outputs DVDs at 480p..

Here's another question, how well do upscaled movies look? Is it worth getting a player that's capable of upscaling?

- D.

The 360's DVD playback is great. I'd say the quality is right on par, if not a little better, than the dvd player I was using before. My only drawback is that it doesn't save where you were at in the movie if you turn the system off or eject the disc, but it's not that big of a deal.

omega-x said:
dvd's look tons better upscaled if the tv is native 720p

Yep, certain movies I can't tell a diference. But the vast majority of movies look great this way.

rayg said:
Where do I get the optical cable for the 360? I wanna hook it up to my surround sound.

Anywhere that sells optical cables. Microsoft does not have their own branded optical cable they require you to purchase your own. The HD component cables have an optical out plug on the back of the connector that plugs into the back of the Xbox360. You need to go into the console options and change the digital sound output to Dolby Digital for it to work.

mETRo said:
Anywhere that sells optical cables. Microsoft does not have their own branded optical cable they require you to purchase your own. The HD component cables have an optical out plug on the back of the connector that plugs into the back of the Xbox360. You need to go into the console options and change the digital sound output to Dolby Digital for it to work.
I got the optical cable for PS2 at Radio Shack, suggest you try shopping there.

datamage said:
Here's another question, how well do upscaled movies look? Is it worth getting a player that's capable of upscaling?

- D.
what players are capable of this?

If you have an HD tv you might want to get a dvd player that upscales to higher resolutions. 480p looks pretty bad on large resolution displays.

peacetilence said:
If you have an HD tv you might want to get a dvd player that upscales to higher resolutions. 480p looks pretty bad on large resolution displays.

what ones do this?

rayg said:
All the HD xbox 360 cables come standard with an optical-output...you just need to buy an optical cable....any one will do..head down to wal mart or radio shack or circuit city or wherever electronic stuff is sold and you'll find many.

I saw about 100 of these stacked up on sale at my local walmart. They are cyberhome yeah, but its alot cheaper and from what I read it looks great. Thinking about getting one. The 25 foot Component video and audio cable that comes from my cable doesn't exactly sink the audio as well as I would like it to... ;) :D

Maybe you should wait to buy the next revision of the X360 for DVD playback, as there are a lot of reports of choppy DVD playback on the thing, even in this forum

steviep said:
Maybe you should wait to buy the next revision of the X360 for DVD playback, as there are a lot of reports of choppy DVD playback on the thing, even in this forum
all (but one) running HDTV via component seem to be fine, oddly...

mETRo said:

Thank you, I never noticed that port on the connector when I was plugging it in :)

lopoetve said:
what players are capable of this?

Get this one. You likely won't be able to tell the difference between it and the Denon (the Denon **is** better but not for hat price differential). Panasonic and Samsung also make competent upscaling players, but the Oppo is wonderfully-priced and produces a beautiful image if you have a TV that supports 720p or 1080i.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's ALWAYS better to have a standalone, rather than an all-in-one, in every case :)

ECM said:
Get this one. You likely won't be able to tell the difference between it and the Denon (the Denon **is** better but not for hat price differential). Panasonic and Samsung also make competent upscaling players, but the Oppo is wonderfully-priced and produces a beautiful image if you have a TV that supports 720p or 1080i.

Do you have experience with them? Looks very good :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't now about the newer models of the Xbox (not the 360), but the original ones were NOT progressive scan..they could play games in 480p, but not movies.

The original PS2s were NOT progressive scan either...but they switched over later on...I can't remember the specific model, but it was still the old style, bigger unit. All of the slimline models are progressive scan. The PS2 dvd playback, at least in the original system, was truly abysmal in terms of picture quality. I laughed when they tried to pass the PS2 off as a option to a honest to god dedicated dvd player when the PS2 came out, after I saw how horrid the picture was. Of course, at the time, I think the cheapest progressive scan DVD player was $300. Now, you can get 'em for $39 lol.

The premium 360 comes with the component cables you need to hook it up and enjoy progressive scan goodness on your HDTV.

Tekara said:
If your picky about video quality then you'll probably want a dedicated DVD player, otherwise as the others said don't worry about it. It's basically going to be if you can tell the difference and if that difference is worth the money for the seperate player then go for it.

quoted.

as for as optical cables go,

(link) - http://cgi.ebay.com/12-ft-PREMIUM-T...833214741QQcategoryZ14965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've bought 2 optical cables from this guy. The cable has held up well for 2+ years of use. Much cheaper than Radio Shack retail.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lopoetve said:
Do you have experience with them? Looks very good :)

Lopoetve

OPPO
The Zenith DVB-318
and the Momitsu all do a fine job at up conversion.

The momitsu is great because it can support custom refresh rates. upconverts over COMPONENTS and DVI

http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

I run the Zentih DVB-318 in 1080i mode. I can tell you movies look fantastic. All on a 105 inch screen :)

btw here is how the OPPO did

http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm

keep in mind that the OPPO does not upconvert to anything higher than 480p over components. thank the DVD monkeys for that.

lopoetve said:
what players are capable of scaling 480p DVD content to 720p/1080i content?

Most brands these days all have them.

Sony,
Denon,
Marantz
Toshiba,
Mitsubishi,
Panasonic,
Zenith,
Momitsu,
Samsung.
+ more

I could be wrong.. :p

figgie said:
Lopoetve

OPPO
The Zenith DVB-318
and the Momitsu all do a fine job at up conversion.

The momitsu is great because it can support custom refresh rates. upconverts over COMPONENTS and DVI

http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

I run the Zentih DVB-318 in 1080i mode. I can tell you movies look fantastic. All on a 105 inch screen :)

btw here is how the OPPO did

http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm

keep in mind that the OPPO does not upconvert to anything higher than 480p over components. thank the DVD monkeys for that.

I'd actually like to use DVI for the connection, since I have a free one of those, and both my componant inputs are in use ;)

Back