Have an old Klipsch 4.1 speaker system? Did it die? I bet you can fix it!

Desolder the pot and measure resistance of pins 1 and 3. That will be all you need to find the correct replacement as they are simply voltage divider devices. Pin 2 the wiper divides the voltage drop across pins 1 and 3. If the resistance between pins 1 and 3 is open circuit then you'll have to find another way to determine the correct value for total resistance.

titan97

Gawd
I've found that taking the pots apart and cleaning them with electrical cleaner fixes all of my issues. No more crackling, no more weird volume jumps.

kamikazi

Gawd
Just saw this thread pop up. I had a Klipsch Promedia 4.1 set up that I got probably around 1998. The only reason I got it was because when I ordered my Compaq 600 MHz Athlon system through the console at Best Buy, if you added a $249 CD burner option, you could get these speakers for $1. The volume pots wore out on mine. I got the standard pops, dead spots, and static. I actually bought a bunch of pots and I was going to try to replace them. If I remember correctly, one of them was like 1 knob that had 3 or 4 volume pots on the shaft. I was going to have to rewire everything to work out using a bunch of extra pots. I let it sit for a couple of years and eventually just trashed the whole thing and decided it wasn't worth the trouble about a year ago ;-) Right now, I'm running a FIIO preamp into a small amp that connects to two old Sony bookshelf speakers. I don't have a sub, but the main drivers on those speakers are 6 inches maybe, not sure. Good enough for me at this point in my life. I do wish I had had the time and desire to put it all back together. Those speakers rocked.

The 2.1 system on sale on Klipsch's site for $109 right now.

Last edited:

IM0001

n00b
Finding the size pot isn't too hard, its finding the ones that actually fit and are the right size which seems to be the problem. Hell on ebay I can get the Surround and volume pot all day, but the sub one is just, non existent. :/

I did a little cleaner and that seemed to bring the sub one back to some semblance of working so maybe it just needed a little cleaning/lube, but I guess we will see. Mine are the old OG ones without any aux input or power button so the insides are quite simple.