Have a vanilla Titan , considering going to SLI 980

Dahkoht

Limp Gawd
About to make the plunge for a 4k screen of some sort. Also building a new rig , my current is a Dell 3014 with a single vanilla EVGA titan.

I've like the setup quite a bit , but am fairly sure to run 4k games reasonably (I don't mind no AA at 4k res and bumping shadows down a bit ) I likely will need SLI setup.

While I can still get a hold of Titan's the costs to get another to SLI it is the same as two new 980's. I'm assuming 980sli will trump a single Titan easily , but was wondering if the hoopla about the 4gb VRAM is anything to worry about ? Will I likely have any problem with 4GB VRAM vs 6GB at 4k res if I'm running no or 2x AA ?

I couldn't tell ya about the 980's in SLI. But I was running to EVGA Titans when I got my Dell 32: 4K monitor, and both of those cards struggled in BF4 with the settings turned to Ultra. My quadfire 295x2x2 now work great at 4K with all settings on ultra and 4xMSAA. I am looking forward to the Full Maxwell (Titan 2) from Nvidia and the new 390x cards from AMD and deciding which cards will replace the 295x2x2 or I might just keep them for another year.

Last edited:
I'm currently running 980 sli, nothing is overclocked, on a Dell 3011, and I'm running everything from The Crew, BF4, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, Alien Isolation to WoW in 4k with DSR, and still using at least FXAA or better depending on the game, with every setting maxed out, and the only thing I've thrown at it that has dipped under 60fps is Metal Gear Solid V with every setting at the highest, at 4k. Just my mileage for your reference.

If you think about back when video cards had only 1GB vram and how that was enough for 1080p gaming with a little bit of AA, and today we're at 4K resolution, which is 4 times the pixel count of 1080p, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to think that 4GB is enough to push 4K. Even though I don't think it works linearly like that :p. With such high pixel density of 4K resolution you probably wouldn't even need any anti-aliasing in your games. There's also the benefit of a newer chip in the 980, as well as them being more power and temperature efficient, and save yourself a little bit of money if you decide to sell the Titan

If you can afford to be in the Titan club, then hold out for whatever big Maxwell is. Or find a used Titan? Though I'd rather sell my Titan and buy 2x970 if I were going SLI.

I sold my EVGA Superclocked Titan on eBay to a guy in Switzerland who needed it to complete his Titan SLI setup. Im happy with a single 980 for 3440 x 1440 but yeah I guess 2 or more current cards are necessary at 4K.

I'd agree with the above posters to either wait for whatever the high end 980 replacement is or as a stop-gap pick up a used Titan off eBay for Titan SLI.

I doubt that you will notice the difference between a Titan and a 980 in real game situations.
The best option would be to grab an used Titan for SLI.

A buy used - sell used approach is a good way to minimize losses when upgrading video cards.

I had Titan tri-SLI and now am running 980 SLI - the 980 is faster than a Titan by a decent amount - but your main concern is VRAM, in which the Titan excels. I'm a 1080p/144hz/G-SYNC guy so VRAM isn't a concern. I'm done dealing with NV Surround and the like (I ran 5760x1080/120hz with the tri-Titan).

So, yeah, like most others have said - get a used Titan or just wait until Spring '15 when the new stuff should drop. Used Titans are a safe buy as they're not going to go up/down a huge amount...there will always be people interested in their "other" capabilities (outside of gaming).

Last edited:
Used Titans are a safe buy as they're not going to go up/down a huge amount.

That not seems like a wise advice as graphic cards generally quickly loose value over time, especially exotic cards such as the Titan. While the vanilla Titan sells for around $550-$600 in my area, it is already overpriced as it performs like a GTX 970 which sells for $400 new.

Went from SLI GTX Titans to SLI GTX 980 Strix cards. Couldn't be happier!!! 3DMark Extreme went from 8558 to 10815 and everything is smoother, faster, plus they are super quiet cards. Absolutely love them.

Back