have 7820x at 4.7ghz now. Upgrade to 10900x or switch to 10900k, or wait?

Agree, Intel HEDT in late 2017 was a decent choice. The other options back then were.
1.) intel 7700k (not enough cores or PCIe)
2.) threadripper 19xx (poor gaming perf.
3.) Ryzen 1xxx (poor game perf.)
Exactly why I went 7820x then. It's just not big enough of an upgrade for gaming to switch to 10900x or 10900k especially at 4k. Now that Im at 4.9ghz and will get a 3080 or Big Navi I'll wait until the next major upgrade in a few years with DDR5

Did you remove all the useless HDD racks? :)

1st thing I do.

I ran 4000 CL19 memory for 3 years but only 4x4gb. I finally felt like I wanted an upgrade to 32gb but I decided to get 3600 with low latency since I think it would benefit more for gaming. My next platform will be the mainstream level. When I got my 7820x, 6 core was the best you could get at that time on mainstream and since then intel added 8 and 10 core due to Ryzen which is still crappy on Intel when AMD has up to 16.

Ok, then go with it for the capacity's sake.

There's always real world performance overlap btw socket and ram changes so you should be good for that 1-3 steps past new release before components finally hit a point an upgrade realizes real gains.

It's like waiting thru the 2600k - 8700k arc.

After 7700k - 7820x - 2600 - 1700x - 9700kf build cycle, I would have stayed on 7820x.

It was a learning experience, but utility got lost in the parts thrashing.

Last edited:
10980xe? You can find deals on them. I picked one up for $741 at Microcenter using a price match from Amazon. Just an idea so as not having to upgrade everything else. IF you are only gaming, I am not sure it will make any difference.

Eight Skylake-X cores at 4.7 GHz with fast RAM should be enough to play most everything on the market like butter, mesh bus latency be damned. A 10900K setup would cost a ton of money for the improvement it would yield. Keep the 7820x, buy a bigger graphics card, and sell your current one to recoup costs unless you've got a good new home in mind for it.

It is very easy to get into the trap of throwing money at successive systems for small gains these days. It ain't the late '90s any more - nifty as Zen 3 will be, I'm not planning to junk any of my systems to build a new one as a replacement.

Last edited:
Eight Skylake-X cores at 4.7 GHz with fast RAM should be enough to play most everything on the market like butter, mesh bus latency be damned. A 10900K setup would cost a ton of money for the improvement it would yield. Keep the 7820x, buy a bigger graphics card, and sell your current one to recoup costs unless you've got a good new home in mind for it.

It is very easy to get into the trap of throwing money at successive systems for small gains these days. It ain't the late '90s any more - nifty as Zen 3 will be, I'm not planning to junk any of my systems to build a new one as a replacement.

Yeah I remember a time (SKT939 glory days) when I was swapping out CPUs every 6 months (sometimes sooner), maybe swapping out my graphics card every year too and getting a noticeable boost in performance. Must have gone through half a dozen CPUs in 3-4 years.

Now I swap my CPU every 6-7 years and GPU every 3 (GPU mainly due to failure).

Yep, that 7820x with a decent OC is going to net you most of the performance of a brand new platform. I don't think you'll even notice a difference unless you're trying for competitive low resolution, ultra-high fps gaming. Case in point, I always test new video cards in a old X58 system I have whenever I upgrade. Most recently that was with a 2080ti (in the X58 rig) and I was able to play a few games at 4k 60hz on that 11 year-old platform (granted it had terrible 1% lows, but credit where due). By comparison, any X299 bottleneck vs brand new platforms will be negligible. I would not worry about replacing it for another hardware cycle or 2, your 7820x has plenty of years left in it.

Get at least 32gb of memory and spend the rest on a GPU.

Last edited:
The heart of the matter is that upgrading to LGA 1200 will be moving to the same CPU architecture, just in a lower latency bus configuration with higher clocks. You'd lose quad channel memory and four PCIe lanes in the process, too. And the Aorus Gaming 7 in your signature is a solid board - I've loved mine. I don't wanna repeat myself overmuch, so I'll say this: don't toss a good, working solution for something that's barely better and has drawbacks of its own.

Last edited:
OP states he's playing at 4k.

Ram clocking gets him 3-5% at lower resolutions, so capacity vs speed several of us have mentioned is the better play. Problem is that 4000+ ram would yield the best results here and to reiterate minimal gains.

1080p is cpu bound, reducing temps is fine as an exercise.

4k you'd see some improvement in the lows overclocking but 7820x vs 10900k I'm not sure improvement in the low fps would be worth replatforming to anything.

I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

3080 is the clear big gains move for 4k play, especially with a 120hz panel.

Nice necro. I loved my 7820x but its been long gone for several years lol

Back