have 7820x at 4.7ghz now. Upgrade to 10900x or switch to 10900k, or wait?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 7820x at 4.7ghz now on socket 2066 with 16gb ddr4 4000 memroy (lowly i know, but don't honestly need more for gaming). I was thinking of changing over to the more mainstream socket 1200 and looking at a 10900k instead of staying on socket 2066 which I heard might be obsolete pretty soon. I could upgrade to a 10900x and then be stuck at the end of socket 2066 or switch to socket 1200 and have a longer upgrade path. I also heard Rocket Lake or whatever is right around the corner on socket 1200, but not sure how much longer 1200 will be used. I heard a rumor that 1200 might be cut short too for an even newer socket within a couple years which we might see DDR5 memory support. Instead of jumping around on sockets possibly twice over the next couple years, should I just keep the 7820x and ride that out until DDR5 support is out and upgrade cpu then?

I also wanted to upgrade to 32gb memory anyway which would carry me good for the next couple years until ddr5 comes out.

I feel like my 7820x at 4.7ghz may be fine still for a couple years. I also have a 1080ti with good overclock with 4k 120hz monitor and was thinking of getting 3090 or AMD's highest when they come out. My 7820x should be fine for that I thought?

So basically, I could keep my current setup, add some memory and a 3090.

Something in particular that's bugging you about your current system? Socket 1200 will give you a bit more frequency to play with and some more cores if you need them. But then again if you need more cores you could look into another socket 2066 CPU (if you can find one), or just go AMD.

Unless you've got money to burn I'd stay on your current CPU and mobo combo, and get a new GPU. Imho it will be the best bang for your buck and you'll notice the improvement at 4K.

I thought with the 10th gen, everything was overpriced and not worth the performance, except the i5...especially when compared to AMD's offerings...

Any reason why you would not consider Zen3 or an AMD move?

I had a 7820x. My 3900x walks all over it in multi threaded loads. There's nothing to wait for on x299, dead socket. But I'd wait for the new Ryzens if I were you.

And wait for ddr5, pcie4 and zen3/4

DDR5 won't be here till end of 2021 at the earliest. That's a long ass time to wait given the OP has an itch now.

As someone who upgraded from a 6950X (4.5GHz) to a 10940X (4.7GHz) using the same guts (other than the motherboard) - I'd say that no, you'd be better off waiting.

Maybe get some faster RAM (can't tell what you're running now, on a phone browser), upgrade your storage to a BIG ass SSD, get an AIO water cooler for your CPU/GPU, or the biggest upgrade other than a SSD - a Gsync monitor (not Gsync compatible, just Gsync - much better sync range).

Last edited:
I definitely would consider an AMD in the future if AM5 has good bang for buck clock for clock performance compared to what intel has at the time or when ddr5 is supported. My 16gb ram is 4000mhz so I could just upgrade it to 32gb worth.

I wouldn't upgrade to LGA1200 now if you're thinking about Rocket Lake. I'd wait for the next gen boards. And I probably wouldn't jump on Comet Lake seeing as you already have a Skylake 8C/16T CPU, and Comet Lake is just another iteration of Skylake.

I just upgraded from a 7820X to a 10900K myself.

The upgrade was nice, but your money will be better spent on a 3080 or 3090, and waiting for the Ryzen 4000 series I think. ;)

I have a 7820x at 4.7ghz now on socket 2066 with 16gb ddr4 4000 memroy (lowly i know, but don't honestly need more for gaming). I was thinking of changing over to the more mainstream socket 1200 and looking at a 10900k instead of staying on socket 2066 which I heard might be obsolete pretty soon. I could upgrade to a 10900x and then be stuck at the end of socket 2066 or switch to socket 1200 and have a longer upgrade path. I also heard Rocket Lake or whatever is right around the corner on socket 1200, but not sure how much longer 1200 will be used. I heard a rumor that 1200 might be cut short too for an even newer socket within a couple years which we might see DDR5 memory support. Instead of jumping around on sockets possibly twice over the next couple years, should I just keep the 7820x and ride that out until DDR5 support is out and upgrade cpu then?

I also wanted to upgrade to 32gb memory anyway which would carry me good for the next couple years until ddr5 comes out.

I feel like my 7820x at 4.7ghz may be fine still for a couple years. I also have a 1080ti with good overclock with 4k 120hz monitor and was thinking of getting 3090 or AMD's highest when they come out. My 7820x should be fine for that I thought?

Its probably not worth changing sockets.
1.) get new graphics cards.
2.) Tighten memory timings. (if not already tight) . The HEDT do perform better at games when memory latency is reduced. ( low 50 ms. )

Keep your current setup. At 4K you won’t experience any noticeable difference between your 7820k and a 10900k. You have plenty of cores and threads with a nice overclock. Upgrade your card and wait until you’re really getting a large boost for your money on a whole new platform.

First off, if youre only running dual channel on a quad channel platform, get another memory set.

Then tighten your first and secondary timings.

Also if u got custom loop like me (360+280) with direct die frame you can run 5ghz and run at par against 3900x due to higher single thread perf and lower timings.

so do that if you can and maybe buy a 3070 or 3080.

Then buy the next HEDT when it comes out or when it makes sense to.

First off, if youre only running dual channel on a quad channel platform, get another memory set.

Then tighten your first and secondary timings.

Also if u got custom loop like me (360+280) with direct die frame you can run 5ghz and run at par against 3900x due to higher single thread perf and lower timings.

so do that if you can and maybe buy a 3070 or 3080.

Then buy the next HEDT when it comes out or when it makes sense to.

OP is my brother and we're running the same setup with 4x4 GB DDR4 4000 CL19-19-19-41. I'm considering getting a 4x8GB kit of DDR4 3600 G Skill Trident Z CL 16-16-16-36.

We have a custom loop with 420 and 280 radiator so cooling isn't a problem.

I feel like a 10900x would scratch the itch and I would hate for the new consoles to have a faster CPU than my PC LOL. 8 cores seems budget ish nowadays that AMD has 12 and 16 core on their R7 / R9 line. My local Microcenter has some open box 10900x's for $540 and some online venders around $580.

Any thoughts on that upgrade until AM5 or the next major intel socket?

Or maybe wait and see what Zen3 is like on Oct. 8. Maybe intel will drop prices or that'll be worth upgrading to however that's the last AM4 CPU so no further upgrade path. I was hoping to extend my setup until the next major socket that would be an even bigger upgrade.

OP is my brother and we're running the same setup with 4x4 GB DDR4 4000 CL19-19-19-41. I'm considering getting a 4x8GB kit of DDR4 3600 G Skill Trident Z CL 16-16-16-36.

We have a custom loop with 420 and 280 radiator so cooling isn't a problem.

I feel like a 10900x would scratch the itch and I would hate for the new consoles to have a faster CPU than my PC LOL. 8 cores seems budget ish nowadays that AMD has 12 and 16 core on their R7 / R9 line. My local Microcenter has some open box 10900x's for $540 and some online venders around $580.

Any thoughts on that upgrade until AM5 or the next major intel socket?

I hear ya, i was thinking of getting 10920x, but may as well save it for next hedt with better ST perf.

Only issue with 10900x, doesnt overclock well. The 12,14,18 are better chips.

And once you go 14core or more, it uses too much power at 5ghz. 10920x might be sweet spot.

I'm planning to delid my 7820x and apply conductnaut with the intention of improving overclock capability. Hoping for anything between 4.7 - 5.0ghz which I think would make even more comparable to the 10900x / k for gaming. I'll look into upgrading on AM5 or the intel equivalent in 2021/2022.

I'm planning to delid my 7820x and apply conductnaut with the intention of improving overclock capability. Hoping for anything between 4.7 - 5.0ghz which I think would make even more comparable to the 10900x / k for gaming. I'll look into upgrading on AM5 or the intel equivalent in 2021/2022.

I thought you were already at 4.7 in the OP. Even at those speeds, it will always be slightly behind the 8 core mainstream parts because of the mesh even at the same clockspeeds. You'll take a latency hit with the mesh in the 7820x which you'll never make up with clockspeed alone vs. the mainstream ring bus CPUs. It's not the end of the world, but for a pure gaming machine, the mainstream parts are better. You obviously have a more robust platform with the HEDT system.

I thought you were already at 4.7 in the OP. Even at those speeds, it will always be slightly behind the 8 core mainstream parts because of the mesh even at the same clockspeeds. You'll take a latency hit with the mesh in the 7820x which you'll never make up with clockspeed alone vs. the mainstream ring bus CPUs. It's not the end of the world, but for a pure gaming machine, the mainstream parts are better. You obviously have a more robust platform with the HEDT system.

I am at 4.7ghz but I was hoping to delid to get to like 4.9 - 5.0ghz. I'm not changing sockets at this point until the next iteration from AMD or Intel. I don't want to get Zen3 since it's the last AM4 CPU and will have no upgrade path so I might as well wait a little longer

I am at 4.7ghz but I was hoping to delid to get to like 4.9 - 5.0ghz. I'm not changing sockets at this point until the next iteration from AMD or Intel. I don't want to get Zen3 since it's the last AM4 CPU and will have no upgrade path so I might as well wait a little longer

Honestly, that's a pretty good plan.

You'll probably get to 4.8. To hit you'd need a golden chip or a good amount of voltage as that voltage curve spikes the hell up. But I would delid asap as it dropped my temps an average of 20c. My 7820x could run 4.8 daily with a comfortable voltage and it benched at 5ghz but I wouldn't run that daily since the voltage creep is high. And regarding the AMD setup, to be fair all platforms are at the end of the road now with DDR5 looming in the next year or year and a half. Intel doesn't have a socket past that time frame because its the switch over point.

You'll probably get to 4.8. To hit you'd need a golden chip or a good amount of voltage as that voltage curve spikes the hell up. But I would delid asap as it dropped my temps an average of 20c. My 7820x could run 4.8 daily with a comfortable voltage and it benched at 5ghz but I wouldn't run that daily since the voltage creep is high. And regarding the AMD setup, to be fair all platforms are at the end of the road now with DDR5 looming in the next year or year and a half. Intel doesn't have a socket past that time frame because its the switch over point.

I can get 4.8ghz around 1.28 volts but prime95 temps were insane around 95-100C. I have custom water cooling but it seems the TIM in these chips is garbage. If I can lower temps like 20C then I think 4.8ghz should be easy if not 4.9ghz. I'd imagine I could even lower voltage since my temps will be much better improving stability.

Delidding is a must on these chips, IMHO, once you get to OC them high enough. Hell even if you don't get better frequencies out of it the temps and (in my case-personal taste) lower fan speeds, lower noise was a win in my book.

If you want i can provide later some before and after pics from when i did mine.

Later edit: pics

after battlefront 2.jpgafter prime 5min.jpgafter quake 5 runde.jpgafter realbench.jpgbefore battlefront 2.jpgbefore prime 5min.jpgbefore quake.jpgbefore realbench.jpg

Last edited:
I can get 4.8ghz around 1.28 volts but prime95 temps were insane around 95-100C. I have custom water cooling but it seems the TIM in these chips is garbage. If I can lower temps like 20C then I think 4.8ghz should be easy if not 4.9ghz. I'd imagine I could even lower voltage since my temps will be much better improving stability.

It will be a bit better after delidding but it won't turn the chip into a hero. Even delidded I would not dare try running prime for very long at 5ghz, lol yea 100c easy.

280 aio on mine, and suspected I’d have to have a stupid capacity open loop to hit gaming cpu frequencies.
I was running 128gb of 3200 ram, 3 nvme drives, etc so clocking too far and I’d start seeing hyperv die on boot.

This is my last game on the hedt rig, completed what I needed a workstation for.
7820x, 1080ti.
Look at the cpu and gpu times.
If you need more power in a game, 3080 and leave the rest of the build alone.

It will be a bit better after delidding but it won't turn the chip into a hero. Even delidded I would not dare try running prime for very long at 5ghz, lol yea 100c easy.

Just delidded my 7820x and so far I'm at 4.9ghz 1.33v.

I couldn't believe the difference in temps! Intel should be ashamed of that garbage TIM.

Idle is down to high 20s / low 30s.
Prime 95 blend average was about 70-75C across all cores. A couple cores did jump to low 80s for a minute or so but then dropped back down to 70s.

I'm also upgrading to 32GB 4 x 8GB and opted for Trident Z 3600 (16-16-16-36) since I wanted super low CAS Latency.
I should be good on my CPU for 4K gaming for several years until DDR5 gets released then see what AMD / Intel have (AM5 and ??)

I'm also upgrading to 32GB 4 x 8GB and opted for Trident Z 3600 (16-16-16-36) since I wanted super low CAS Latency.

Did you benchmark with a game to see what you got from a frequency bump? In-game benchmark is preferable to just playing. Delidding doesn't cost much, so there's no argument there.

Gains from pushing mesh don't get you as much as brute forcing games with a gpu. 3600 is a bit much.

Did you benchmark with a game to see what you got from a frequency bump? In-game benchmark is preferable to just playing.

I don't know why you'd look at $250-300 worth of Ryzen ram when the gains from pushing mesh don't get you as much as brute forcing games with a gpu.

I primarily upgraded to 32GB from 16GB for capacity reasons. I never expected massive gains in games. Not sure why you're saying Ryzen RAM.
I am 100% either getting either BIG NAVI or a 3080 but I'm waiting see what AMD releases before making my decision. I'm also waiting to see when Nvidia releases the 3080 20GB.

I should be good on my CPU for 4K gaming for several years until DDR5 gets released then see what AMD / Intel have (AM5 and ??)

Gaming at 4k won't expose the cpu so that's not a bad idea. I don't know if I could have held onto my 7820x for as long, it's just too slow in my workloads now.

I primarily upgraded to 32GB from 16GB for capacity reasons. I never expected massive gains in games. Not sure why you're saying Ryzen RAM.
I am 100% either getting either BIG NAVI or a 3080 but I'm waiting see what AMD releases before making my decision. I'm also waiting to see when Nvidia releases the 3080 20GB.

3600 cl16 is appropriate for Ryzen
Z390/z490 you can go much higher
Historically I didn't see many people able to get lower core ct skylakex above 3200 with much gain in mesh.

Gaming at 4k won't expose the cpu so that's not a bad idea. I don't know if I could have held onto my 7820x for as long, it's just too slow in my workloads now.

I was using my 7820x build as a kubernetes lab. Extra dedicated nvme drives helped a lot, 128gb ram was really all I needed bc I wasn't oversubscribing resources or working much outside of the box.

I know it's fashionable to down Intel HEDt but it did the job for me back when TR1 was having all of its teething problems.

I do gaming 90% of the time so I really don't need more than 8c at the moment but I see what you mean if you use as workstation where Ryzen makes way more sense with 12 or 16 cores.

I do gaming 90% of the time so I really don't need more than 8c at the moment but I see what you mean if you use as workstation where Ryzen makes way more sense with 12 or 16 cores.

Minimal gains from mesh clocking isn't comparable to what you'd get with a 3080 if your primary workload is gaming.

Get a 3200mhz 32gb or 64gb kit and you'll be fine.

I couldn't believe the difference in temps! Intel should be ashamed of that garbage TIM.

Idle is down to high 20s / low 30s.
Prime 95 blend average was about 70-75C across all cores. A couple cores did jump to low 80s for a minute or so but then dropped back down to 70s.

Do try to tighten timings in the mem timings. (CAS 14 or 15) You should be able to get 50-52 ms mem latency in AIDA64 test.

I know it's fashionable to down Intel HEDt but it did the job for me back when TR1 was having all of its teething problems.
Agree, Intel HEDT in late 2017 was a decent choice. The other options back then were.
1.) intel 7700k (not enough cores or PCIe)
2.) threadripper 19xx (poor gaming perf.
3.) Ryzen 1xxx (poor game perf.)

So, I followed this thread years ago: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-DDR4-RAM-overclocking-101-guide#post_8035925
Reason I equate 3600 ram with Ryzen is that they have an infinity fabric that’ll stumble performance when they exceed 3733 or so.
X299 can break 4000, plenty of guys have screens posted with voltage I wouldn’t run 24/7.

So if you’re going to do it go big, but I’m not sure where the happy median btw performance and reliability on x299 gets someone in light of 3080 non dlss and rtx off #s relative to 1080ti.

I went down in case size from a Fractal R5 to a Define C with no front panel crammed full of noctua fans to get air moving swiftly over my x299 setup. Bunch of nvme drives, aio cooled 1080ti, 8 dim slots populated, and a 7820x that was relatively cool was a decent thermal load. Clocked in the R5 case air was not moving fast enough.

Last edited:
I went down in case size from a Fractal R5 to a Define C with no front panel crammed full of noctua fans to get air moving swiftly over my x299 setup. Bunch of nvme drives, aio cooled 1080ti, 8 dim slots populated, and a 7820x that was relatively cool was a decent thermal load. Clocked in the R5 case air was not moving fast enough.

Did you remove all the useless HDD racks? :)

So, I followed this thread years ago: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-DDR4-RAM-overclocking-101-guide#post_8035925
Reason I equate 3600 ram with Ryzen is that they have an infinity fabric that’ll stumble performance when they exceed 3733 or so.
X299 can break 4000, plenty of guys have screens posted with voltage I wouldn’t run 24/7.

So if you’re going to do it go big, but I’m not sure where the happy median btw performance and reliability on x299 gets someone in light of 3080 non dlss and rtx off #s relative to 1080ti.

I ran 4000 CL19 memory for 3 years but only 4x4gb. I finally felt like I wanted an upgrade to 32gb but I decided to get 3600 with low latency since I think it would benefit more for gaming. My next platform will be the mainstream level. When I got my 7820x, 6 core was the best you could get at that time on mainstream and since then intel added 8 and 10 core due to Ryzen which is still crappy on Intel when AMD has up to 16.

Back