Have 6800nu agp. What mobo to buy when I upgrade my cpu?

dissonance

Limp Gawd
I bought a widescreen monitor and my system had trouble at the native resolution so I got a 6800nu agp to help out. It helps but not enough on some games. So now I have a agp card and want to upgrade to a 3200+ Venice. I heard about the Biostar N4ST or whatever it's called that had some sort of XGP port. They don't list my Leadtek 6800 or any 6800 as ones they've tested though. Does anyone know if this would be a good upgrade route to go?

I don't upgrade that often so I might just go with a nf3 agp mobo since there aren't really any advantages to pcie atm other than upgradability in the years to come. It seems like by the time I'm ready to upgrade my 6800nu then pciex16 will be old anyway.

Please help.

Yes the EPoX EP-9NDA3J or EP-9NDA3+ board would be a good option for you.

BTW where'd you find details on the Biostar XGP port?

The Epox nF3 Ultra mentioned prior is an excellent selection.
The Abit AV8-3rd Eys is another good selection, the Abit is a VIA chipset mobo but performs great.
ASUS makes the A8V which is a twin of the Abit, but is much more forgiving in the memory area.

So you guys seem to think I should just not worry about the pcie thing and xgp or whatever other gimmicks there are out there? I'm guessing it will be a decent amount of time before pcie takes a nice leap over 8xagp.

Yeah I would skip pci-e or any gimmicks for now. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a BFG 6800 GT OC AGP that I just got a few months ago, but now I want to upgrade my CPU to S939 (right now I have S754) without having to drop $350-400 on the equivalent pci-e graphics card.

So today I ordered the EPoX EP-9N3ADJ board and a San Diego core 3700+. I already have OCZ Plat Rev. 2 PC3200 2-2-2-5 RAM to pair with it. The only thing I don't know for sure, is if the nForce 3 Ultra can support the Athlon X2 dual-core procs. with a BIOS upgrade or not. I thought not, but someone over in the AMD CPU forum is saying it should be possible.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me because the EPoX board was only $87 from NewEgg so if I have to buy a new board when/if I move to X2 it's not a big loss. I figure the 3700+ should give me a nice overclock and along with my existing 6800 GT I've got pretty good performance for the rest of the year.

Back