Have 6600k, get a cheap 6700k now or move to coffee lake later?

Chapeau

Gawd
This will be the final upgrade for my little SFF build. I've noticed there are some decent deals on the 6700k (sometimes 7700k) going around and it might be nice to do this while there is still stock around.

Of course, I'd love to move to a Z350 motherboard and grab that lovely 8700k but that's a serious chunk of change.

Anyone have any thought on whether having those extra threads will come in handy?
The price for my upgrade will be around $150.

Depends what you are doing with the machine and/or need the extra threads or even cores if going 8700k

This will be the final upgrade for my little SFF build. I've noticed there are some decent deals on the 6700k (sometimes 7700k) going around and it might be nice to do this while there is still stock around.

Of course, I'd love to move to a Z350 motherboard and grab that lovely 8700k but that's a serious chunk of change.

Anyone have any thought on whether having those extra threads will come in handy?
The price for my upgrade will be around $150.

If all you do is game or light work, I would not even bother upgrading, just don't see a huge upgrade from 6600k to 6700k. If you are doing work that requires extra thread or extra cores, I would move to 6700k or maybe a 8700k if you can justify that build of having extra core and thread. If you are in the 1st case, just save yourself money, keep the 6600k, and wait to upgrade to IceLake, Zen 2 or Zen 3 or upgrade your GPU to next gen, which should run cooler, a plus for SFF build.

There's no upside to 6700k, I have a 7700k as an all rounder.

Ram is lacking for an After Effects workflow, I've never done any of that type of work.
I'm not doing anything with local virtualization lately.

I have a bunch of tiered ssds, nothing I do is so wrote heavy locally that I need an nvme drive.

I have a 1080ti just because, no real need for it.

I get away with using a dual core i5 laptop for work and be totally fine, but I like having a personal box that plays games and I can dabble in things.

The 4k Sony 43" TV I use at home is useful when I plug my work laptop into it.
That's really the extent of my personal gear improving work.

I would Echo the sentiment to wait for cooler CPUs if SFF is still your favored form factor. The 7700k is hot, the 8700k's my buddies all upgraded to wouldn't be my first choice in a small box either.

The Hyperthreading will benefit anything that is heavily threaded. Minimum FPS scores can rise substantially depending on the game. However games like Far Cry Primal, which relies on a single thread for the most part, doesn’t really change at all.

6700K and 7700K are clock for clock almost identical.

What video card are your running?

what do you do with your machine and when you do plan your next upgrade? you said final upgrade so I'm guessing that means for quite a while, if that is the case get the 8700k. it's actually quite a beastly little chip, but it needs very good cooling. since you are having qualms though, ask yourself if you're going to need it.

Last edited:
I'm all for waiting to see a desktop 8-core part and DDR5.
If you are generating invoices with your personal build the time to build and write off 8700k was a few months ago.

probably just get the 6700k...you would need a bios update with kaby lake....you running z170 sounds like.

that's pretty good deal if you can find that...there still all kinda high everywhere else. payed retail for mine....

Tends to be around Berkeley or San Jose for lower cpu prices.
I swear it's high school kids or college students spending their $ on "books".

Tends to be around Berkeley or San Jose for lower cpu prices.
I swear it's high school kids or college students spending their $ on "books".

stuff that breaks...going through psu's agian...gotta corsair cx650m need to get fixed..but can't get through to their site for rma...
so got this apevia unit...so far excellent...see how long it will last...

Apevia? I wouldn't trust that thing to power a flashlight much less my pc. Best get something reputable asap.

The Hyperthreading will benefit anything that is heavily threaded. Minimum FPS scores can rise substantially depending on the game. However games like Far Cry Primal, which relies on a single thread for the most part, doesn’t really change at all.

6700K and 7700K are clock for clock almost identical.

What video card are your running?

Running a GTX 1080 at the moment...

The slightly better minimums would be the main draw for me.

I've seen 6700ks around $150 in my local area.
I wouldn't pay $100 more for a 7700k.

Funny enough, here in Australia the 6700k is on par or more expensive than the 7700k !

Running a GTX 1080 at the moment...

The slightly better minimums would be the main draw for me.

Funny enough, here in Australia the 6700k is on par or more expensive than the 7700k !

Local markets are different, internet forums and YouTube try to drive a prevailing idea but it never works that universally.

When I lived in NZ I got to compare CS players attitudes and gear habits to what I'd seen in Germany, Ireland, Denmark, the US.

This was 98-2001.

Seeing Ireland pre-EU and post-EU was interesting bc post-EU they were most like American teens in their consumption and subsequent determination that old was worthless.

If your build doesn't make you money, take some time to analyze your workflow.
GPU looks fine.
How's your storage IO?
All thru the 5820k-6950k arc if the workflow didn't benefit from nvme that x99 setup was being used as a glorified desktop.

Look at your ram useage.
Some multitasking or discreet application can benefit from 64gb, bc the high spec Dev target was assumed to be a maxed out desktop PC.
Really wide research will have 8+ docs/100 tabs/etc running.
I've seen researchers benefit from an X99 build that looked like a content creators setup.
Project managers are particularly poorly starved by lack of resources.

Some content creation applications have been iterated over the past 7 years, but the Dev targets notably topped at a 10-core E5 Xeon as best case so you'd see some applications not using an entire 7900x unless specific core affinity is user defined. Other content creation applications don't seem to have been really rewritten since the x58 + 6-core EE was king.

Take a bit to see what your use case really needs.

In my case a 43" 4k tv helped the most.
I can basically live off a 13" MacBook Pro.

My gf will not get off her issued Macbook Air, drives me nuts bc she could use my gear.
Hell, I'd build out a 7900x/64gb/nvmex2/1080ti setup just so she'd get her work done at a reasonable time.
Her daily work could actually warrant the build.

I wouldnt buy either a 6700k or 7700k right now, an 8600k is cheaper and is better than both.

On hyperthreading friendly workloads a 8600k should be able to match a 7700k, on workloads that are not hyperthreading friendly such as the intel extreme tuning benchmark, a 8600k will decimate any 6xxx or 7xxx mainstream chip.

Hang on until November-ish.
Sweeten the upgrade befriending someone that can get you Intel retail edge pricing.

Unfortunately... it has to be Z170 or Z270 only... But the 8600k is a nice thought for sure.

i upgraded from a 6600k to a 7700k. got an already delidded 7700k from a local seller for 200€ and sold the 6600k on ebay for 125€. cheap upgrade, minimum frames are up across the board.

Yeah again it depends...not that big of a difference for gaming itself. If you plan on rendering videos and doing some intensive workstation esk things then yes. Either processers are probably the best bang for your buck at the moment while still being relevant age wise.

I went from a 2500k to a 6600k. I was targeting Skylake as my upgrade path shortly after building the 2500k system.

While I was originally targeting Ice Lake as my next chip, I'm now considering waiting for Tiger Lake as I can see why waiting for Kaby Lake would of been worth it over Sky Lake. TL will be optimized over IL and 8 core chips should be common at that time and be very affordable.

Point is, sometimes it helps to plan ahead for your upgrades so your not left worry about it. It's not like there's a big enough upgrade every generation or two that you are going to be left behind. Plus it's nice saving money rather than spending.

Back