Have 2600K with GTX 770, ok to upgrade to GTX 980?

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
So my CPU is an old 2600K, but it's overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Would it be silly to upgrade my 770 to a 980? I'd rather just do an video card upgrade right now, rather than rebuild my whole system.

Should be completely fine. Especially if your running a single card, I see 0 issues with that. Your proc is still more than capable.

Your CPU still kicks names and takes ass. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Keep on rockin.

Absolutely fine. I've got a 2600K @ 4.4Ghz and even noticed an excellent performance increase going from 980 to Titan X.

Nothing wrong with a 2600K, pelenty of grunt at that clock speed and it has instruction parity with the PS4 so I wouldn't realistically expect it to be anything but fine for another few years.

Your 2600K at 4.5ghz is still faster than my i5-4670k at stock speeds. I see no reason to not upgrade your gpu.

I'm running my 2600k @ 4800mhz with sli g1 980 gtxs, hell I ran 3 7970s as well as 3 gtx 780s with this setup. It's smoking fast and fps is faster then most cpus period. There us no bottleneck running sli at 1440p. Upgrade!!!!!!!!

I feel sorry for Sandy Bridge users who have an upgrade itch. Your CPU is just too good to justify Haswell for most of us lol.

Should be no issue. Only upgraded my rig because 780ti's sli + surround at 3240x1920 couldnt quite get the job done over PCIe2.0 .

Needed moar pipes.

2600k platform is definitely one of the all time best.

Should be no issue. Only upgraded my rig because 780ti's sli + surround at 3240x1920 couldnt quite get the job done over PCIe2.0 .

Needed moar pipes

2600k platform is definitely one of the all time best.

3.0 vs 2.0 yields virtually no difference. I can link more then 5 different websites that tested your claim for that resolution and the difference is less then 1%

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/#4kResults

A 2600K at 4.5GHz is still about 5% faster than a stock 4770K so I don't see it being a bottleneck for at least a couple more generations.

Seconded. I don't know if it would solve a bus saturation issue, but my P67 had a slow/glitched boot bug that got resolved through moving to Z77 when replacing the board didn't work.

2600K only supports PCIE 2.0. The 3.0 slots will switch to 2.0 mode with that CPU. You wouldn't see huge difference moving to the Z77 chipset. The 980 isn't bottlenecked by PCIE 2.0 anyway. Neither is my Titan X.

This is a good read & benchmarks on PCIE bus scaling TechPowerup Article

Last edited:
Yeah, I should have clarified that too, my bad. You wouldn't move to Z77 for faster PCI-E, I did it because the some P67 boards suffered from slow or repeated booting.

Does OP know what he's going to do?

Still using a 2600K on a Z67 board. Hell, I don't even remember when I bought it. Probably a few months after it came out and I won't be changing it soon either.

Currently it's running a R9 290 and doing a pretty damn good job at it. You'll be fine for maybe the next year or two with it.

I don't have the itch to upgrade the processor since it isn't warranted yet

Back