Hauppauge PVR 150

PRIME1

2[H]4U
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Circuit CIty deal is worse for 3 reasons:

1) rebate - have to wait 8 weeks until u get ur money back, if ever
2) u have to pay tax - with Amazon, chances are u won't, and in the end CC deal will end up costing more than Amazon one
3) U don't have to drive around and look for this thing - nearest CC may not have it in stock, and Amazon offers free shipping :D

On other hand u'll have to wait until it gets to u but usually it's pretty fast :D

I agree that rebates suck, but I didn't know which version of the PVR-150 was better. If the PVR-150MCE only works with windows MCE then a lot of people can't use it.

jpmkm said:
I agree that rebates suck, but I didn't know which version of the PVR-150 was better. If the PVR-150MCE only works with windows MCE then a lot of people can't use it.

They are exactly the same other than the MCE version "doesn't" include a remote and the MCE version has a FM tuner right? I think that's what I read.. they make it confusing.. even on their comparison page... it says that the only card with hardware decoding is the 350... which is wrong.

Dunno, I've been wanting to get one to play with this stuff, but I'm a bit, well. WHat's the remote do? ;)

I dont' have a problem with the rebates cause I'm anal-retentive enough that I've never not gotten one, but the flipside, if the remotes not worth it, then I'm lazy enough to not go through the hoopla

picked one up, thanks.

btw, which software would you people recommend as being the best for this unit?

magnetik said:
it says that the only card with hardware decoding is the 350... which is wrong.
No, that is correct. The 350 is the only one with a built-in MPEG decoder. The 150/250 cards have a built-in encoder only, while the 350 has both encoder and decoder.

And yes the MCE cards work with non-MCE systems, they just don't come with a remote because MCE systems already have a remote. You can use one of the many PC remotes or just use a keyboard. As far as FM tuner, the 250MCE includes it but I'm not sure about the 150MCE.

Just as an FYI: The 150 and 150MCE do not work with any linux based PVR software. The ivtv.sourceforge.net lists these cards as semi-functional under the development branch of drivers.

musicman_ace said:
Just as an FYI: The 150 and 150MCE do not work with any linux based PVR software. The ivtv.sourceforge.net lists these cards as semi-functional under the development branch of drivers.

Actually this site has good information about running Mythtv on Fedora and it does discuss using a PVR-150. It takes a bit to get going but support is getting better. It's a good site if you want to run Mythtv on Fedora.

Malatov said:
No, that is correct. The 350 is the only one with a built-in MPEG decoder. The 150/250 cards have a built-in encoder only, while the 350 has both encoder and decoder.

And yes the MCE cards work with non-MCE systems, they just don't come with a remote because MCE systems already have a remote. You can use one of the many PC remotes or just use a keyboard. As far as FM tuner, the 250MCE includes it but I'm not sure about the 150MCE.

Hmm.. thanks for the info... it was pretty confusing when I saw the comparisons... Would I need "decoding"? what exactly does that get you?

magnetik said:
Hmm.. thanks for the info... it was pretty confusing when I saw the comparisons... Would I need "decoding"? what exactly does that get you?
It just decodes MPEG at a reduced CPU overhead. And the 350 has a framebuffer & video output on it so you connect your TV/monitor directly to it instead of a standard videocard like with the 150/250 and other tuner cards. You can actually use it as a video card, although the specs would suck for anything other than TV/video output.

The difference between the PVR150 and PVR150mce is two fold, the mce version has an FM tuner, the non-mce has a remote. The tuners on them are also different. One is an LG TAPE H001F tuner the other an LG TAPC H791F.

They both work great in linux , I have one of each working great with Mythtv. Requires the IVTV drivers to get them working in Linux.

sorry bout being ot. but does the PVR-500MCE have hardware decoding / encoding?

magnetik said:
sorry bout being ot. but does the PVR-500MCE have hardware decoding / encoding?
The 500 is basically a dual-tuner 150. So it has the same hardware encoder as a 150, and no hardware decoder.

Back