Hauppauge HVR-1265 not getting channels

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I tried everything and every option. When I scan for channels nothing comes up, hooked up through the coax connection to the cable box. I tried scanning both digital and analog. Tried with the WinTV software and also Media Center. Tried the Digital QAM hooked directly to the wall and that finds the channels but they are all encrypted and only in SD.

I need HD, FOX, NBC, and ABC. Any ideas?

I need maximum quality so typical downloads are not going to cut it.

What model number antenna are you using? Is it indoors? Mounted at a window? Or exterior? OR are you just using the cheap antenna that comes with these things?

Were you able to receive these stations on your TV? What makes you so sure you should be able to see them?

Also, have you looked up your location in this site?

AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

If you can give us the range to the stations you want to pick up, we can give you an idea of what you may need. Also, if you are in a hilly area, you may not be able to receive these stations without a tall mast.

It also depends in the broadcast power of the stations. For example, I can get every station around me except NBC without putting the antenna in a window. CBS and NBC are on the same damn broadcast tower, but NBC transmits at half the power. That site I linked lists transmission power.

Just to give you an idea how crappy the stock antenna is: I could only pick up the most powerful station in my area with that thing, and only if I moved it around. And that was just 15 miles away.

Also, Hulu carries most Fox and Nbc and ABC stuff, along with comedy central and cartoon network. You can get it ad-free for 12 bucks a month.

Last edited:
It's hooked up the cable box. The guys at Hauppauge wrote me back. They said set the card to choose the default channel of the box being 3 or 4, then change the channels like one normally would on the remote. I was mistakenly trying to get all the channels through the card. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it will do the job. Just need to grab a few upcoming important things.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Back