Hatred Earns AO Rating

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think we all knew this was going to happen. Thanks to cageymaru for the link!

"Well, I'm not quite convinced why Hatred got AO rating while it lacks any sexual content, but it's still some kind of achievement to have the second game in history getting AO rating for violence and harsh language only. Even if this violence isn't really that bad and this harsh language isn't overused," writes one of the developers on their registration-required forums.

I bet the developer is also one of those guys who thinks rape is okay, as long as you only do it once a year.

Like anyone pays any mind of the ratings in the US.

Though, I am pretty sure the Aussies will have to pirate it if they actually want to play it. I am going to assume that the Australian Classification Board will declined to rate or "refuse classification" for it there.

I am buying a copy just to piss off the people that are up in arms over it.

saw the trailer. I'm not surprised it received an AO rating, surprised though that in these times, a game like this is released,lol (with all the terror, genocides around)

(the good-90's) Total recall almost had an X-rated rating for the violence. They had to tone some stuff down to just keep it R. So your either doing something really right or really wrong to get that.

Interesting... Prior to the AO rating I had no interest in the game, now after watching the trailer I feel that I must play this game.

AO Rating. No console release, and Steam currently doesn't have any AO titles listed. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it now due to the AO rating. No idea how they're going to make money off of this now.

With that rating Steam might not sell it, hopefully GOG will if they try to sell it from there.

The problem is just the premise of the game, its like "Angry White Male Simulator 2015", so it pisses people off. There's no reason given for why he's killing, and with parents insisting that "video games are for children", they of course want to preemptively blame this for the inevitable next school shooting.

With just a tiny bit of plot and changing of the main character, you could have essentially the same game and the masses would at the very least ignore it.

Heck, just redo the main character to a black guy with a cowboy hat named Django and say he's killing white slave owners to save his girlfriend down in Mississippi, or a Jewish-American WW2 hero and he's on a mission to kill Hitler and anyone else that gets in his way and get GOTY award. Violence excused, controversy over because its PC contextual killing, and then mass murder is morally acceptable by and large... although preferably the murdered people should be just generic white guys too if possible, no mass shooting of simulated children or women or any other protected group. ;)

BTW, regarding AO for sexual content, who even came up with that anyway? Between blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having consensual sex with someone, I don't know, kind of hard to justify that the former is more wholesome than the latter. I thought the hippies were all about "make love, not war", and the main character in this game probably wouldn't be so angry if some pixilated lady took one for the team and just gave him a BJ and a hug. Well sexed people tend to be pretty laid back.

Heck, just redo the main character to a black guy with a cowboy hat named Django and say he's killing white slave owners

Hell just change it to a black dude killing nothing but white dudes in general, Jesse Jackson would endorse it, and you'd have a hit.

The Hatred dev thinks that summarily executing as many defenseless in-game characters as possible in all manner of e-brutality as the sum of the game "plot" is somehow not going to excite the strongest of revulsions in just about anybody? :rolleyes:

The Hatred dev thinks that summarily executing as many defenseless in-game characters as possible in all manner of e-brutality as the sum of the game "plot" is somehow not going to excite the strongest of revulsions in just about anybody? :rolleyes:

Because carmageddon didn't that at all, but hey look at all the cool cars!

This is probably what the dev wanted anyway. It's only selling point is the controversy it creates. It doesn't serve any purpose as a video game, which are meant to be entertaining, and at least a tiny bit challenging.

No way around it, it is cool to hate if your on the black cause but we forbid it if a white person steps on some toes.

Seriously, GTA is way worse than this.

GTA doesn't show close-up scenes of you sticking a pistol into a woman's mouth and blowing her brains out while she begs for her life.

GTA is an impersonal road-rage simulator, Hated is an up-close-and-personal murder simulator.

lmao, murder simulator... I think that was Jack Thompson's favorite buzzword back in the day.

I bet the developer is also one of those guys who thinks rape is okay, as long as you only do it once a year.

You're a moron if that's what you actually believe. It doesn't matter either way. If this is a digital release the rating won't effect sales in any way. If anything it will increase them with some people being extra curious wanting to check out an AO game.

They gotta make an example out of a small outlet so a few 50yr old geezers from last century don't complain. Rockstar and such are too big for that, their free speech is backed by law firms.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Go actually watch a few trailers and look at the screenshots, this is in no way deserving of an AO rating and even if it was..who cares? If you aren't into that type of game don't buy it, simple as that. I had zero interest before people decided to start acting like puritans and even with them acting like it I only have moderate interest. Though i might just buy it just to support freedom of expression in video games as well. Frankly I don't want to hear crap out of people complaining about the content of this game while rappers get celebrated for the absolute racist/violent shit they spew out.

Have you actually seen the graphics of Hatred?... because your description is quite hilarious vs the reality.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356532461
You know I was just thinking, if they REALLY want to get everyone's panties in a twist, they should have made the character look like a ISIS guy going on a killing rampage in *insert Western society*. Would be more topical and stir up far more controversy, but also make more sense without the need for backstory.

Honestly all they have to do is change the main character's skin color and it would probably get an M+ rating.

Go check out "Da Lench Mob" on YouTube. All they rapped about was harming/killing white people in a thin veil of revenge for slavery. Don't get me wrong, it was great as far as rap is concerned, but it's racist as all get out. It's also enlightening as to how racist Ice Cube is :p Anyway, that CD was in all the music shops back in the day.

I also wanted to add, can you imagine what would happen if a white group put out an anti-affirmative action album or some crap today?

I also wanted to add, can you imagine what would happen if a white group put out an anti-affirmative action album or some crap today?

Don't have to imagine. There are multiple examples of people having their career destroyed and their name drug through the mud in the national media making it impossible for them to essentially ever have a normal career again.

This Is definitely an AO game as it is extremely disturbing. However I support this game because it is time we start supporting freedom of expression as this level of violence is refreshing. This game has the potential to stick the finger to all these groups out there who are more concerned with regulating expression in games than actually doing a lost art called parenting your damn kids.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Go actually watch a few trailers and look at the screenshots, this is in no way deserving of an AO rating and even if it was..who cares? If you aren't into that type of game don't buy it, simple as that. I had zero interest before people decided to start acting like puritans and even with them acting like it I only have moderate interest. Though i might just buy it just to support freedom of expression in video games as well. Frankly I don't want to hear crap out of people complaining about the content of this game while rappers get celebrated for the absolute racist/violent shit they spew out.

The same people who are against this game and totally for its AO rating are the same individuals who are against rappers and the "absolute racist/violent shit they spew out."

Like myself. ;)

lmao, murder simulator... I think that was Jack Thompson's favorite buzzword back in the day.

I think Jack Thompson was referring to GTA when he said that.

There is a difference between a game like GTA, where it can be a "murder simulator" if you choose to play it as such (but it has other game-play modes as well) Vs. a game like Hatred, where the entire point of the game is to kill as many innocent civilians as possible.

I'm not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with a game like this, since it is only a video game after all, but if any game has ever earned the title "(mass) murder simulator" it would be Hatred.

Seriously, GTA is way worse than this.
I disagree with GTA comparisons. Both involve killing people but the context is different.

The point of Hatred is to kill as many innocent civilians as possible and that point is embellished. In GTA it is possible to do that, it's not the focus of the game. The game focuses on criminals fighting other criminals and occasionally the law enforcement that gets in the way.

Speaking of innocent civilians, is there a law against having kids in games?

I can't even think of a game that had kids in it that could be killed. Killing puppies, sure no problem. But kids, I assume its against the law? Even in movies I don't ever remember seeing a kid killed. The closest I can think of is that you hear of a kid being killed, but never witness it.

Guys this game is not art (there is no hidden meaning behind it) or some attempt to be a sjw, they're trying to get free publicity for a niche game that is trying to shoe horn itself into a busy market. I am not really interested in it and really have no desire to play a person that obviously needs mental health, but let's not make more of it than it is.

They would get HUGE! Like David Allen Coe for example. Johnny Rebel. Hell Steve Scalise a politician that stumped for the KKK and David Duke. He is getting support from lots of people including Black politicians for being a misunderstood great family man. John Boehner personally endorses him as a great individual. :)

Being racist gets you famous in America as it seems that many of us yearn for it. Not me in particular, but there is a large subset that adores it. Otherwise this people wouldn't become millionaires doing what they do. Controversy feeds our political engine and those attitudes come directly from our homes and social upbringing. Humans have an insatiable blood lust, and these games allow us to feed it without breaking the law.

My 2 cents of course. I doubt I will play this game as the developers seem to be like racist groups too much for my liking. But I'm not going to hate someone for having fun playing this game.

Back