Hate your matte film?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Before I lose you if your would-be favorite monitor is not the ROG, please consider that this thread can be used to show other companies that many of us, enthusiasts, want the option of a glossy screen. You may want to skip the next quote block.

It is my intention to contact Asus and request that they offer the ROG SWIFT with a glossy screen. I do a lot of programming and reading, and even semi-gloss films make text fuzzy and fatigue my eyes. But I'm more than that.

I'm also a gamer, and Asus has a hit with the ROG Swift, functioning very similar to CRTs (in motion blur), while offering the pixel count and sharpness of LCDs. I was tempted to get their 24" with lightboost, but the primary thing to hold me back - despite the reports of horrible color with lightboost enabled, was the matte coating. When I heard about the ROG swift and its size, color improvements, and high resolution, I was excited and I wanted one. But I couldn't.

I've tried a two-desk setup before, with a CRT on one desk. But every time I change which monitor is primary, windows goes crazy on me and moves too many things, which makes it time consuming and frustrating. Eventually, I just quit using my CRT, and playing games like Warthunder - because of the blur. It would be the same way with the Rog Swift, because it has the same basic issue.

It's no good for productivity. In the CRT's case, the text is better than a matte LCD, but still not as good as a glossy LCD. And more importantly, the resolution and screen size are too low - I don't have work space. In the ROG's case, the text is too fuzzy, as I mentioned previously. But it's not just for users that have dual purposes.

Those who are strictly gamers also want glossy screens, for the clearer/sharper image and improved colors.

Regardless of what category you fit into, if you want a glossy screen or PDC, post here.
Let's make our voices heard, let's gather into one place where designers can come to see that there are many of us.

This is a message that I tried to send to Asus, but their form wasn't working at the time. Manufacturers, please consider that adding this second offering may be even more profitable for you, per unit:

There are many customers who would love to have the ROG Swift without a matte coating, especially myself.

What can we do, to convince you to offer it without the matte coating?
It's advantageous to you: it would reduce your assembly time and cost.

Moreover, there are customers who are willing to pay a man by the username "Vega" to remove the matte coating for them. Thus, you could increase the cost, even though your production would be cheaper - increasing your profit on these units (minus the cost of storing two separate units.)

I would rather pay more money to you, to have a ROG Swift without the matte film - than to pay a third party, because then the warranty isn't voided.

You would also score points with your enthusiasts, which is the group you're targeting with this $800 monitor. I know that most users do not care about a matte film, but it's much more common for enthusiasts to reject a monitor because it's not glossy.

Last edited:
Results of a poll (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551064) :

gHxYs6n.png

This is the kind of stuff they put over your monitor:

09a7bfe7_PICT00053.jpeg

And some close-up samples, be sure to note the Asus near the top right - which is also a 144Hz monitor. Compare that to the gloss, next to it.

900x900pxll3529558f33kr.jpg

Source: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1774734 (Vega's thread.)

And more images here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1359419/...g-film-direct-comparison-same-panel-polarizer

Last edited:
Quotes:

It's posts like these that make me a sad panda :( As someone running an overclocked Korean glossy IPS on dual watercooled AMD cards... I am on the fence as to whether it will be worth spending the $ and time on this monitor and a new set of nVidia cards. Matte coating and potential washed out colors do not appeal to me at all... however, the allure of much improved motion clarity for games is a big temptation.... sigh. The Overlord at 110Hz/110FPS is quite smooth, miles ahead of my old 60Hz IPS... I just don't know HOW much better Gsync and/or a blur free ULMB mode would make my overall gaming experience. It would be quite a gamble and I would hate to discover after spending $1.5-2k that I was happier with my Tempest and 290's.... meh, first world problems right?

I wrote a review about the matte coating on PCDIY.Asus.com:

I FINALLY was able to get a second hand open Box Swift. Apparently, the original owner did not have balls big enough to own this display, because this thing is friggin perfect!
My only complaint is the matte covering. It sucks. It doesn’t suck hard, but it still sucks. This should have been glossy. Matte is for sissys, unless your name is Matt then I am sorry, but your name sucks.

Been a week since I've got the S2715H. It's a wonderful monitor I must say. The colors are crisp, the blacks are great (the glossy screen help with that) and I have not notice any input lag and watching movies is such a pleasure because of the great colors these monitor displays.

PS: and yeah the new glossy Dell seems nice as well.

I got this monitor from Dell a few days ago. The glossy panel is so eye-pleasing at office work and web browsing. There is reflection but nothing serious as long as it's kept away from direct sunlight.

Is this monitor Glossy or Matte? If It is Glossy I am buying one ASAP

96Hz-120Hz, 1440p, 27", IPS monitors have been available for a few years now.... I have been using 110Hz on my Overlord Tempest for close to a year and it's a fantastic gaming experience. Glossy, high resolution, high refresh rate, low input lag, acceptable pixel response times, deep vibrant colors.... Google is your friend OP. Search for Qnix Evolution, Yamakasi Catleap, Overlord Tempest, lots of info and choices out there for gaming IPS monitors.

I have most my collection of movies in mkv format on a 12tb drive system. For watching movies in 1080p its hard to beat a glossy amva monitor like the Dell S2440L .

Great poll! Thanks for setting this up. :) I'm curious what most people would pick. I picked no ag coating. :D

I just did the mod on my Dell U2412M. It worked perfectly. I ran a trial on my Samsung P2250 first to practice. No problems here.

I soaked the Dell U2412M for a little less than 4 hours until the bottom right corner of the AG coating could be lifted without using force at all. Then I could smoothly roll off the coating in a bottom-right to upper-left-corner directed steady slow pull. A few times the coating was stuck and I had to wiggle a bit to get it moving again. This left som uneveness in the residual glue (thin lines), but these lines are only visible when the monitor is powered off and when the screen is viewed from the side with strong lights on it.

It was a succes I would say. The panel is sharper now. Colors haven't changed that much really, but I got rid of the annoying "greying" of the surface when light from the window or a lamp shines on the surface at an angle.

Nice post OP! :)

I'm hoping it won't be impossible for ASUS to release a glossy version of this monitor in the near future. The matte coating is the only thing holding me back and it's a **** shame because it has nothing to do with the technology. As it stands I guess I will wait another 6 months and hope for some competition to come along.

Nice work. I love this Image: http://i.imgur.com/T3OJbl.jpg

And people say it isn't noticeable and doesn't affect image quality :rolleyes: or it only affects white backgrounds, which defies logic

Anti-glare is a worthless technology that does nothing besides darken the display and interfere with the production of clear, life-like images. If you cannot understand this I sympathize but really have nothing more to say to you.

Anti-REFLECTIVE coating, like that on an expensive watch, is extremely worthwhile in that it PREVENTS the display from reflecting light instead of DISPERSING that reflection into a muddy mess over half the screen.

Unfortunately, I know of no displays which use an adequate anti-reflective coating, and we all know how infuriating a glossy screen with no AR can be. This unfortunately leaves mild-antiglare as an equally viable option (unless you can control the light in your room perfectly). But people who prefer heavy anti-glare? :confused:

Hah, the picture is mostly troll bait since the coating's effect isn't nearly as exaggerated when pressed directly against a surface. However, I too have a hard time believing people who claim they can't tell or aren't bothered by the coating. To me it's so glaringly (heh) obvious that it's worth voiding the warranty so I can actually enjoy the monitor. Would be nice if manufacturers started producing panels with and without AG coat options but I don't see pigs flying just yet :(

Edit: Thanks for the compliments, took a little while to throw it all together but I hope it gives those of you who are on the fence about doing this the know-how to take the plunge!

Considering what people will go through to get rid of the AG, I'm surprised Dell doesn't release non-AG versions of their monitors. It can't be that hard to not put on AG coating, right?

I too am amazed that Dell (or some manufacturer) won't sell any IPS screens without the coating. If they ever read user reviews (or sites like this), they must know the AG bothers a lot of people. Even if they feel business users prefer the AG coating, there is a market for glossy/semi-glossy IPS screens. Unless it's some weird mandatory thing from LG?

Strangely I believe only Apple sells the non-AG version. Makes no sense to me at all.

First company that comes out with affordable non-AG IPS 24" (16:10) and 27" screens (ie U2412 prices for 24"er) would do very well, in my opinion. They'd be the only company selling those types of monitors at that price range... entire marketplace to them. Beats me why nobody hasn't done it yet.

People pay Vega to remove the matte anti-glare film from their monitors for a reason. More like 16.7million of them. The colors without the film are more vibrant. If you can't keep glare under control it's a pain in the ***. Those are the pros and cons. Some people are more bothered by reflections than others. Some people can't see the "magic eye" pictures no matter what they do. I am one of those people.

Vibrant Colors vs Dull Colors

I like vibrant colors and hopefully a glossy 4K monitor hits the market soon.

I'm hoping I can get someone (Vega) to remove the film from the LG UW when it comes out.

Last edited:
I prefer glossy, but it's not a big deal to me. Have a Swift on order and hopefully it will be to my liking.

I didn't realize someone on this forum (Vega?) was offering services to remove matte coatings. Can I get more info on this? I may be interested lol.

I didn't realize someone on this forum (Vega?) was offering services to remove matte coatings. Can I get more info on this? I may be interested lol.

Edit, just found this:

Just asked him if he could remove the film on my Qnix which is scratched. He's going to be unavailable for some time. Said he was headed to Afghanistan until 2015.

Last edited:
Why don't they just use the standard semi gloss coating that most monitor use nowadays? Fail.

The heavy AG coating on the Swift is the biggest deterrent for me....probably would have bought 3 for a triple display setup if ASUS offered variants in semi-gloss or gloss. Don't understand why it is so hard for them to just have batches where no AG coating is applied.

Why don't they just use the standard semi gloss coating that most monitor use nowadays? Fail.

That would be an improvement. However, I had a 27" glossy screen that I used next to a 27" semi-gloss (BL2710PT) monitor, and the semi-gloss did not look close to my 27" gloss. They were both 2560x1440.

The pixel clarity was closer to that of my 23" 1080 with a matte coating (2333T), even with fewer pixels per inch, which was very depressing.

Sure, but for me semi glossy is the way to go.

I have a Korean Glossy IPS and compared to my semi glossy monitors, the blacks don't look nearly as... black as the semi glossy. I believe good ole NCX has done quite a few comparison shots of this, and his pics don't lie.

edit: sorry if i thread hijacked, wasn't my intention

I have a Korean Glossy IPS and compared to my semi glossy monitors, the blacks don't look nearly as... black as the semi glossy. I believe good ole NCX has done quite a few comparison shots of this, and his pics don't lie.

It's about preferences, and the majority want some anti-glare - I acknowledged that in my OP. I don't fault you for what works best in your case. :D

There are many who want glossy or PDC, and won't use anything else. It makes my eyes too sore to use even semi-gloss, as the letters aren't clear - and I do a lot of coding.

Last edited:
I hate matte it only fucks up the display colors. I also noticed that a lot of PC users have a low standart of quality when it comes to Displays but pay €500 for a video card to play with the best graphic. :D
The next Display for my PC will be a TV i have enough of this milkish Monitors.
Most review site are also a joke they will give a higher rating for a newer model and a blind guy could see that the older model had a lot more vibrant colors. You notice this also on the 5000:1 MVA vs. the 3000:1 castrated MVA+ Monitors.

Last edited:
I hate matte it only fucks up the display colors. I also noticed that a lot of PC users have a low standart of quality when it comes to Displays but pay €500 for a video card to play with the best graphic. :D
The next Display for my PC will be a TV i have enough of this milkish Monitors.
Most review site are also a joke they will give a higher rating for a newer model and a blind guy could see that the older model had a lot more vibrant colors. You notice this also on the 5000:1 MVA vs. the 3000:1 castrated MVA+ Monitors.

I'm all for glossy myself. I own an Eizo fg2421 semi gloss monitor and it looks great with the amazing contrast ratio/great colors after calibration. However I do notice the slight pixel blurring, especially up close. I would love to have a full glossy version of this, however I am afraid the results of a manual ag removal will not be perfect and I would miss the warranty (even though that's not my main concern).

I was 100% set to buy the swift. The matte coating on the display has stopped me from doing so. Waiting until a monitor with similar specs using a glossy display comes out to upgrade. For 800$ no one should have to compromise.

Also waiting to buy some Asus 980's but wont until I have a proper glossy Gsync display. They are really screwing up my upgrade dreams :p ...though my wallet certainly thanks them

I think Vega is away for awhile and wont be able to play with the AG removal for a bit.

Last edited:

Are your Korean Glossy IPS monitors being compared to the same model with a semi glossy coating or a different model? If so please specify the model.

Are your Korean Glossy IPS monitors being compared to the same model with a semi glossy coating or a different model? If so please specify the model.

Ignore my post - mistake.

Q270 (Catleap) to BL2710PT (BenQ)

Last edited:
glossy with AR coating. like the eyeglass type of AR coating.

Yeah, I Love that - I'm using a 27QW now. It has a lot of motion blur, though - that's why I'd love a gloss ROG swift, even though the reflections would be intensified; it's the best multi-purpose compromise. Until then or something else, 27QW with its blur is the best compromise.

Although I would prefer PDC, I don't see it becoming popular - PDC increases (effectively or truly?) the black level. :(

Last edited:
I'm using mostly semi-glossy but I'd love to move to PDC or glossy screens if they were on models I want.

I don't buy anything with heavy AG coating.

So if I understand correctly, the semi glossy coating is improving black levels according to your experience and what NCX has shown? Can you link some of his examples?

I didn't look at who you quoted - sorry.
Ignore my response completely. Hopefully the person you asked will reply, lol. :eek:

NCX is making his picture with full turned on lightning in that test.

Imho the darker the room the less pronounced that effect would be.

Seeing reflections in my monitor, that's what I hate. Matte is fine, not everyone has an ideal room.

If you can afford an $800 monitor you can afford some window treatments and lamps or a lighting setup that does not directly shine on your monitor.

Although I would prefer PDC, I don't see it becoming popular - PDC increases (effectively or truly?) the black level. :(

I'm pretty certain PDC is the ideal but the only displays available all used terrible LG.Display manufactured AH-IPS panels with awful bleed.

Seeing reflections in my monitor, that's what I hate. Matte is fine, not everyone has an ideal room.

Exactly, seeing reflections ruins the perception of black, at least for me.

Anywho, didn't mean to start a big argument, it is good of manufacturers to offer choices. In a perfect world you could just check a box matte, semi glossy or glossy when you ordered your screen.

Yeah, I Love that - I'm using a 27QW now. It has a lot of motion blur, though - that's why I'd love a gloss ROG swift, even though the reflections would be intensified; it's the best multi-purpose compromise. Until then or something else, 27QW with its blur is the best compromise.

what is pdc?? this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma-enhanced_chemical_vapor_deposition?

it's the same thing as the AR coatings i mentioned... it's just one way to apply the coating/film/whatever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating

https://www.apple.com/imac/design/
scroll down to "low reflection"
the imac also has it, which confirms what i saw at frys last time

Last edited:
Having a tick option for Matte, Glossy, semi Glossy or even a more expensive AR filter would be amazing when buying Monitors online.

Last edited:
I don't like glossy screens because I had 2 windows in the back of my desk. Semi matte and matte is the only possibility for me.

My old crappy TN glossy samsung looks glorious. I can't imagine how awesome the Swift could be.
I would get another Swift if it was released as glossy. It's insane how much the coating ruins the image.

My old crappy TN glossy samsung looks glorious. I can't imagine how awesome the Swift could be.
I would get another Swift if it was released as glossy. It's insane how much the coating ruins the image.

I remember playing on my 1920x1200 17 inch glossy tn screen on my Gateway fx laptop and games looked really amazing even with fps ranging from 35-50 average on most games maxed. The contrast was pretty low, the color fidelity wasn't great, but the high PPI and picture clarity (thanks to the lack of AG) really made it feel extra sleek in games. I honestly didn't mind the reflections, even when using that laptop outside. When playing games in the house it wasn't hard to adjust position as to have light source behind the screen instead of facing it.

I much prefer glossy. Currently I have an Apple Cinema Display 27" (glossy). I want to upgrade to a 32" 4k display but sadly I may be in for a long wait if I wait for a glossy option.

I think anyone that prefers glossy is a narcissist.

Is that equally dumb or do I have to try harder?

Instead of trying harder you can get out of a thread where people who prefer glossy over matte are voicing their opinions. If you don't hate matte, then this thread is not for you.

You don't see me go to "people who think Subway is great" thread and go call their analogies dumb, illogical or stupid.

Mild anti glare seems to have become the standard now. I hardly see any new glossy screens coming out. I'm glad to see the hard sparkly AG go away as it makes my eyes hurt. But I'd like more glossy options than we've got now. There's no glossy 4K or ultrawide screens as far as I know. Give us at least one of each!

I like grain free matte coated (semi-glossy) monitors like the 27" 1440p monitors, but prefer glossy coatings now.

Coating Comparisons. I used a bright light (6500k/Daylight Philips 2600 Lumen CFL) to simulate a 'typical' environment. AHVA/IPS/PLS panels blacks are too light for light-less rooms unless a bright bias light is used. PDC is the clearest and less reflective than gloss, but it ruins the perceived black depth, even when the lights are on since the glass covered bezel still reflects light and monitors with PDC usually suffer from obvious back-light bleed.

, but it ruins the perceived black depth

how? are you saying that the more pronounced reflections from a plain gloss surface makes black appear more black? or are you saying that monitors with pdc/ar coatings have poorer blacks due to the panels being worse for those? because in itself the coating doesnt affect black levels appreciably; it should only reduce specular reflections

Last edited:
Back