hate to be the first, but im getting an error in hl...

USA Inc.

Gawd
in the airboat level, just after the first door you have to open, and the hall full of crates, it crashes.... this has happened 5 times in a row. the error is a "memory exception error" or whatever this means... any recommendations?

I wish I knew... I cant even see the beggining screen... I see the valve guy, then those credits, then flashes to black and then error and closes due to x00000780889 ( or something ) memory error that can't be "read". Im assuming its corrupted files, but now WTF do I do....

blah just got up in the middle of the night sick as hell to play HL2, and the shit doesn't work for me.. figures with my luck.... :(

Same thing happens to me get froze up on the startup screen where all the options are. Tried everything I know including new drivers for my 6800 gt and setting everything to standard speeds (no ocing). Stuff just freezes there after about 5 sec. Any Ideas? Been trying for 3 hours to get it to work. Reload the game maybe?

had a similar error in hl2 as well, but it only happened one time. was still shakey after a restart, but it pulled through that spot. i reckon as hl2 is a very memory intensive game, not all the bugs have been worked out of memory management.

Just curious - to those who have gotten memory errors, how much ram do y'all have? I have 2x256 in my laptop. wonder if anyone with 1 gig is having problems, or with 256 and so on. maybe its nothing, maybe its not.

i get the same error with 2x512 ocz and i even reinstalled the game.

this seems to be a common error and i cant think of anything to do about it

USA Inc. said:
in the airboat level, just after the first door you have to open, and the hall full of crates, it crashes.... this has happened 5 times in a row. the error is a "memory exception error" or whatever this means... any recommendations?

I don't remember which part, but I got a similar error, something like "memory error: x001a00 yada yada: memory cannot be referenced" ....this was after about an hour of play, I went to bed after that, when I get home at lunch I will try it again and see what happens...after rebootig of course. Maybe I have some random errors in the ram or something since my pc has been on for several days now with no reboots..

I get the same thing whenever I start a new game.
I never get any further than selecting a new game. It then locks up at the last loading block everytime during the loading screen. I have to alt-tab to see error on desktop.

Running latest drivers, etc. and have absolutely no other issues with my system.

Seems there are quite a few people getting this error at various times.
Some folks over at the Planet H-L forums are having similar issues.

Snagged this off of VE3D.

There's a nasty Half-Life 2 bug out there that is stopping people from playing this seminal shooter. Valve's Erik Johnson sent out this to help those folks:

For people that are running into the bug on startup that looks like:

"Map Version is 0, expecting 19"

Try this to see if it works:

1. Go into your \Steam\SteamApps folder.
2. Rename the file called sourcemodels.gcf to something else.
3. Relaunch the game.

This is going to require a redownload of this file, but if you want to get playing tonight it's probably the best path. There are a couple of people now that were in this situation that were fixed this way.

As soon as we possible we'll release a fix for this that will not require this workaround.

Please let me know if this does or does not fix this specific problem for you. Just shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. If this does fix it, it would be useful to get copies of a couple of the renamed (bad) cache files.

I'm getting a different error, but I'll try the workaround when I get home from work.

Was hoping to play a little bit this morning before work, but received the error. Didn't have time to troubleshoot. Hope it works, thanks!

im going to retry the game... then im going to start erasing files and letting steam redownload them. tell you guys if it goes well.

i propose a question....

are the people having troubles the ones that have downloaded it from steam or are we having issues with the retail copy as well???

i had trouble with the 2 copys.
this morening i played the down loaded version,
and i got slight skipping accompanied by repeated sounds .
so i thought it was the down load
then i went and got the retail verison and guess what
same crap, i even tryed 3 drifent drivers
right know iam useing the new 67.02 drivers
iam runing a gt card

Here is the error I'm getting:
"The instruction at 0X241F8977 referenced memory at 0x010AF5C0. The memory could not be read".

Same exact spot everytime.

I downloaded off Steam.

Back