Haswell viability

snacker321

n00b
I've got an i3 Haswell system and I'm trying to get some more like out of it.

2x4gb gskill pc1600 ddr3
h81
i3 4130 3.4ghz dual core
240g corsair force ls ssd

I got a nice used GTX970 a few weeks ago and its transformed the system for gaming, but the CPU is bottle necking really badly especially in PUBG

I'm tossing up getting an i7 4790k.

I'm pretty much just playing gta5 and PUBG at 1080p

is the general consensus that a faster haswell cpu the best dollar for dollar upgrade I can do?

Does anyone know where I can find an i7 4790k, they seem pretty thin on the ground

What motherboard (chipset) do you have?

How long do you think you will sit on the build?

To me, an i5 is more than enough for most games. The i7 will have more longevity as games get more thread aware, but if you plan to rebuild in a year or two an i5 would be a cheaper holdout.

I looked at the i5 4690 non K as a good value cpu but I thought the 4790K would be a pretty big bump in single core performance. I believe PUBG is very CPU heavy and I'm getting quite addicted.

My current motherboard is an Asrock mATX H81M-DGS rev 1.0 with no multiplier control. The chipset is H81. I did already upgrade the bios so it does support the 4790K.

Thanks for posting that link to the CPU for sale, I can't find the PM option, is my user account limited until a certain age?

don't forget to also look for the 4770k, lower base clock than the 4790k but easy enough to fix. last resort option if you didn't want to replace the board for an 1151 socket would be the broadwell 5775C

I had a 1700X and a 7700k when they launched to see how they were, and I ended up going back to the 4770k system I had in my closet that doesn't even have an I/O shield. Sold the rest. Can't tell a single difference in any game I play, haven't even bothered to overclock. The gains are so small in gaming these days. Bought a 1080ti, sold it after a few weeks and now I'm using a 1060 I got at best buy on sale before the prices went crazy, it handles everything at 1080p with 100+ fps.

Seems like there is no reason to keep upgrading these days unless you just gotta have 4k.

Back