Haswell Ultrabook Shopping

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Looking to get a new laptop. Was pretty much set on the a MBP 15 Haswell 16GB, 512GB SSD.....until i realized it would cost me nearly 3k with applecare. Seems a little high, especially considering I couldn't care less about about MacOSX.

I run a company provided Windows VM, but I used CentOS desktop VM for most of my work. Only 15% of my usage on my current laptop is non-work related, and its just browsing the web when I am on the airplane.

Is there anything out there that is better than a 15" MBP haswell? My main concern being battery life.
Min Specs 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD.

Other than that im not too particular on the other specs. A major bonus would be, if it had a docking station/port replicator accessory i could buy.

Look into the Lenovo laptops and make sure you purchase a laptop that has a replaceable battery.

I would say the XPS15, but dell has inexplicably removed the top spec model. It is pretty much identical to the MBP15, but can be had for about 2100 if you talk to a rep and get some discounts. I7-4702, 16gb, 512 msata, 91whr battery, 3200x1600. Basically has a larger battery and a slightly slower ssd.

You can still get that model from the business site for 100 more with 8.1 pro. You could also wait to see if they put that spec back up again.

Back